Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RED WAYPOINT

Hi Pacman!! Thanks for your comments, red waypoint is getting every day better thanks to users reporting bugs and sharing their opinions.
1- In offline mode home point is symbolic, it is for planning the mission and locating the view to that point. When you connect in online mode, that home point is overrided by the real home point detected by the aircraft. In online mode if there is no Home point means that there are not enough satellites so if you create a mission in online mode you can not clear the home point. Just following the same filósofo in offline mode.
2- Sometimes it is difficult to move the Waypoints, I will try to see how can be improved.
3- You are right Red waypoint needs confirmation for Take Off, Landing and going Home.
4- Same as 1, in online mode I don't want to display a home point(it could be device location) but if the aircraft has not enough satellites don't want to confuse the user by setting a home point, because they can start flying without having a Home point and that is dangerous.
5- You are going to be the first one trying Mavic air with red waypoint. I am EXCITED to hear about your results!
6- RTH error, thanks for reporting the bug. I will try to replicate the error by pressing the button when not flying.
7- Full screen mode actually works by Long Pressing (2sec) the camera view.
8- If gimbal is in manual mode, the gimbal slider can be moved by the user but if it is in Automatic mode it is disabled. Hope this is the reason!

Thanks David. Things are certainly getting better all the time!

On point 1... I understand ‘offline’ mode is designed to plan a mission, and HP is symbolic. But HP cannot be cleared. Waypoints and POI can be cleared but not HP. I think this is a mistake. If HP is not cleared then the Locate icon is always centred at this point, and I cannot re-centre on my real location unless I move the map and place a new HP. I hope that makes sense?

On point 4... with no aircraft connected, the map centres on the real HP by using the device location. That is correct. The problem is that when the aircraft is connected the gps is being read from the aircraft. That’s fine when there are satellites, because the map centres on the real aircraft HP. However, when there are no satellites the map is set at 0N 0E, but I want it to still be set to the device location. In other words, when there is nothing else to go on, centre the map at the device location. I think it is safe to say that if the aircraft is connected but doesn’t have enough satellites it has to be at the same location as the operator (at the device location).

As Red Waypoint is essentially a mission planner app, and flying a mission relies on GPS, I think you should prevent a mission from being run if there are less than, maybe, 8 satellites. Or at least show a warning if a user tries to take off/run mission without a certain number of satellites. That way you can’t be blamed for any fly-always.

On point 5... I also have a Mavic Pro. I am intending to test this as well!

Reactions: Red Waypoint
@Red Waypoint... Just another thought, David... Missions are created and saved offline. They can then be loaded again when online. If you load a mission and then try and run it... there is a danger that the mission could be the wrong one, or the mission HP could be a long distance from your current home location. This could result in your aircraft flying off to the first waypoint several miles/km away. Is there something you can add to check how far away the aircraft/device location is from the HP or POI or first waypoint of the mission, and give a warning if it is too far away? This would be a very unique safety feature that I don’t remember being available on any other app.

Here's a clip from a video I made yesterday. The Spark was transiting from waypoint 1 to 2. It seemed to move in a jerky, step-like motion.

I tested the waypoint for the first time and set the speed at 6m/s. My video also came like that. Looks like it moves a bit then pause for a moment, then moves again and then pause...I cancelled the mission and pressed RTH and it flew back. The video was smooth during RTH.. What could be the issue ?

Last edited:

On point 1... I understand ‘offline’ mode is designed to plan a mission, and HP is symbolic. But HP cannot be cleared. Waypoints and POI can be cleared but not HP. I think this is a mistake. If HP is not cleared then the Locate icon is always centred at this point, and I cannot re-centre on my real location unless I move the map and place a new HP. I hope that makes sense?

On point 4... with no aircraft connected, the map centres on the real HP by using the device location. That is correct. The problem is that when the aircraft is connected the gps is being read from the aircraft. That’s fine when there are satellites, because the map centres on the real aircraft HP. However, when there are no satellites the map is set at 0N 0E, but I want it to still be set to the device location. In other words, when there is nothing else to go on, centre the map at the device location. I think it is safe to say that if the aircraft is connected but doesn’t have enough satellites it has to be at the same location as the operator (at the device location).

As Red Waypoint is essentially a mission planner app, and flying a mission relies on GPS, I think you should prevent a mission from being run if there are less than, maybe, 8 satellites. Or at least show a warning if a user tries to take off/run mission without a certain number of satellites. That way you can’t be blamed for any fly-always.

1. In offline mode makes sense to delete Home Point when clearing all waypoints and when clicking on it and deleting it, so the user can position again using their location. Added lo the tasks list.
2. In online mode the location of the map can be centered once at the beggining and manually by clicking the Locate button if there is no Home Point on the Aircraft, another task added. The Home Point will only be visible when it is recognized by the aircraft ;)
3. You are the number one tester! Testing even risky features on the app. Autonomous flight must not be executed if no GPS mode and no Home Point is detected! Need to check but almost shure the app reports an error if you try it.

Mavic Air and Mavic Pro awesome! It should work (In theory) most of the interface with the aircraft is the same as Spark but I still don't have them and never test it. Would be nice to check your flight results, please fly with precaution (low speed, clear environment) as aircraft dynamics can change

@Red Waypoint
please add photo function
thaaaaaaaanks!!!!
(please add a donate button on your website.... i want to support this app!!)
Hi MAx1, happy to see that you love Red Waypoint! We apreciate it! Photo button is on the Camera View in "Online Mode". Check the following tutorial

I tested the waypoint for the first time and set the speed at 6m/s. My video also came like that. Looks like it moves a bit then pause for a moment, then moves again and then pause...I cancelled the mission and pressed RTH and it flew back. The video was smooth during RTH.. What could be the issue ?
Don't worry your aircraft is OK! You are the second user reporting this issue. We still don't shurely know why. When flying autonomously with Red waypoint APP, the smartphone sends control commands from smartphone to Remote Controller and from Remote Controller to the Aircraft. Return Home feature is performed inside the drone without communication. Possible issues:
1. Lack of communication signal could create this effect.
2. Smartphone performance, maybe not enough calculation speed.
Please verify by manually flying and checking if this effect remains.
All details you can provide can be useful to analyze this effect such as videos, smartphone model, android version, redwaypoint version, CE or FCC and information about your mission plan, like altitude... Thank You!

I have flown using DJI Go 4 in Normal mode in the same location and this type of issue did not arise and video was very stable.

I use Redmi Note 4 phone with the latest android version (MIUI). The Red Waypoint version was 1.1.5. Altitude of the mission was 30m, heading and gimbal at 0, mission mode Auto and speed was 6m/s. I am not sure about FCC or CE. I am in India.

Normally the 2-axis gimbal compensates any jerking ...so it could be that the jerking is in the other axis (looks like the jerk is up-down...so could the height be changing momentarily? )

I have now installed Red Waypoint 1.1.6 and plan to test at the same location this Saturday with probably a higher speed.

Here is the video:

Hi MAx1, happy to see that you love Red Waypoint! We apreciate it! Photo button is on the Camera View in "Online Mode". Check the following tutorial
:D
oh! camera view!!! thanks!!!
please confirm me these:
- is the speed m/s or km/h?
- slider on gimbal setting shows 0-360 instead of 0-90, why? (1.1.5)

....where is 1.1.6? :D

[I'm a ground surveyor, this app is GOLD for my spark, please add more feature for my work :p]

p.s. say hello on facebook, I'm Massimo S.

I have flown using DJI Go 4 in Normal mode in the same location and this type of issue did not arise and video was very stable.

I use Redmi Note 4 phone with the latest android version (MIUI). The Red Waypoint version was 1.1.5. Altitude of the mission was 30m, heading and gimbal at 0, mission mode Auto and speed was 6m/s. I am not sure about FCC or CE. I am in India.

Normally the 2-axis gimbal compensates any jerking ...so it could be that the jerking is in the other axis (looks like the jerk is up-down...so could the height be changing momentarily? )

I have now installed Red Waypoint 1.1.6 and plan to test at the same location this Saturday with probably a higher speed.

Here is the video:
Thanks for all the information provided santanu, we will analyze this problem and we will inform you about the issue

:D
oh! camera view!!! thanks!!!
please confirm me these:
- is the speed m/s or km/h?
- slider on gimbal setting shows 0-360 instead of 0-90, why? (1.1.5)

....where is 1.1.6? :D

[I'm a ground surveyor, this app is GOLD for my spark, please add more feature for my work :p]

p.s. say hello on facebook, I'm Massimo S.
Hi Massimo!
Speed is in km/h. The slider gimbal in Offline mode goes from 0-360, you are right it could go from 0 to 90deg. In fact when you are in Online mode Red Waypoint detects the aircraft and it is automatically adjusted this parameter. On Spark it goes from 0 to 85deg, other aircraft can go from -30 to 90 deg. If you planned a mission and set a value that it does not exist when loading that mission in Online Mode it will be set to the maximum possible value of your aircraft.
Some people are subscribed in Play Store as a Beta user so they test the newest versions before they are officialy released. But now 1.1.6 is available ;)
I have seen results from two people using Red Waypoint for photogrametry, it is amazing! Share your work with us ;)

Reactions: MAx1
@Red Waypoint

Hi David, I'm sure you have a lot of work to do, but I have a couple of suggestions regarding POI waypoints:

1. 'Auto' Gimbal...

At the moment, it is possible to add a POI waypoint and you can specify the Altitude of the POI. In each normal waypoint setting it is also possible to set the Altitude and also the pitch of the gimbal.
Would it be possible to add an 'Auto Gimbal' checkbox to override the gimbal degree setting, so that the gimbal automatically calculates the best angle to point at the POI?

This angle should be easy to calculate by using basic trigonometry: All you need to know is the relative altitude of the aircraft above the POI (by deducting the altitude of the POI from the altitude of the aircraft), and the distance between the GPS point of the waypoint and the GPS point of the POI (there is a formula for this available), and from this you can calculate the gimbal angle to point to the top of the POI.

2. Multiple Waypoints...

Have the ability to add, maybe, up to 5 POI waypoints.

Automatically number them 1 to 5 as you add them, in the same way you number the waypoints: POI1, POI2, etc.

Then in the waypoint settings, add a POI dropdown control showing 'POI1' to 'POIx'. (Where x is the number of POIs you have added). This will allow you to potentially link each waypoint to a different POI. Obviously, if there is only one POI this waypoint setting will be set to POI1 automatically.

This will have the effect of allowing your mission to re-point to a different POI as the aircraft reaches each waypoint.

Apologies if you have already though of any of this and already have them on your future development list!

Thanks for all the information provided santanu, we will analyze this problem and we will inform you about the issue
I flew at the same location using the same waypoints and some other waypoints. What I found is that the jerking is noticeable at lower speeds. Last time I flew at 6km/h. Today I ran the same sequence at 10km/h. The jerking is still there but barely noticeable. I ran a few more sequences at 18km/h and 20 km/h. In those cases, the videos are smooth. So I think the issue is there at speeds less than 10km/h. By the way, the problem is not there when I take videos using DJI Go 4 at slower speeds.

@Red Waypoint

Hi David, I'm sure you have a lot of work to do, but I have a couple of suggestions regarding POI waypoints:

1. 'Auto' Gimbal...

At the moment, it is possible to add a POI waypoint and you can specify the Altitude of the POI. In each normal waypoint setting it is also possible to set the Altitude and also the pitch of the gimbal.
Would it be possible to add an 'Auto Gimbal' checkbox to override the gimbal degree setting, so that the gimbal automatically calculates the best angle to point at the POI?

This angle should be easy to calculate by using basic trigonometry: All you need to know is the relative altitude of the aircraft above the POI (by deducting the altitude of the POI from the altitude of the aircraft), and the distance between the GPS point of the waypoint and the GPS point of the POI (there is a formula for this available), and from this you can calculate the gimbal angle to point to the top of the POI.

2. Multiple Waypoints...

Have the ability to add, maybe, up to 5 POI waypoints.

Automatically number them 1 to 5 as you add them, in the same way you number the waypoints: POI1, POI2, etc.

Then in the waypoint settings, add a POI dropdown control showing 'POI1' to 'POIx'. (Where x is the number of POIs you have added). This will allow you to potentially link each waypoint to a different POI. Obviously, if there is only one POI this waypoint setting will be set to POI1 automatically.

This will have the effect of allowing your mission to re-point to a different POI as the aircraft reaches each waypoint.

Apologies if you have already though of any of this and already have them on your future development list!

Hi Pacman! Yess too busy at the moment, but time to time new features will be available.
1. At the following video tutorial it is explained how POI works and the Auto Gimbal feature at time 2:09
. To let it clear Auto Gimbal only works in 2 modes: POI mode and Custom mode. In POI mode Red Waypoint automatically calculates the angle to point to the POI altitude and in Custom mode it uses each of the Waypoint Custom settings. If Auto Gimbal is in manual mode, the user can move the gimbal slider.
2. Adding more than 1 POI is something we already contemplate. This feature will be added in a near future ;)

I flew at the same location using the same waypoints and some other waypoints. What I found is that the jerking is noticeable at lower speeds. Last time I flew at 6km/h. Today I ran the same sequence at 10km/h. The jerking is still there but barely noticeable. I ran a few more sequences at 18km/h and 20 km/h. In those cases, the videos are smooth. So I think the issue is there at speeds less than 10km/h. By the way, the problem is not there when I take videos using DJI Go 4 at slower speeds.
Hi Santanu,
Thanks for the provided information, we will make some tests at low speed to analyze this effect.

Hi Pacman! Yess too busy at the moment, but time to time new features will be available.
1. At the following video tutorial it is explained how POI works and the Auto Gimbal feature at time 2:09
. To let it clear Auto Gimbal only works in 2 modes: POI mode and Custom mode. In POI mode Red Waypoint automatically calculates the angle to point to the POI altitude and in Custom mode it uses each of the Waypoint Custom settings. If Auto Gimbal is in manual mode, the user can move the gimbal slider.
2. Adding more than 1 POI is something we already contemplate. This feature will be added in a near future ;)

@Red Waypoint... Thanks for the reply David.

1. The Auto Gimbal feature is only available 'online' as far as I can see. In mission settings I can set 'Mission Mode' as POI which means the drone/camera is always pointing towards the POI, but there is no Gimbal Setting for 'Manual/Auto' when 'offline'. I would want to be able to set all my mission settings 'offline'. Maybe I am missing something?

2. It is great that you have already thought of multi-POIs!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena