Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RED WAYPOINT

Thanks for this great app. I'm really getting used to it. A few features I'm requesting (as if you already don't have enough, ha ha).
1. Allow for yaw/spin without stopping/pausing the mission. I know you already allow for gimbal adjustments through the controller and this doesn't cancel the mission, but the yaw would be nice as well. This will help the camera focus on waypoints without using the POI icon, which can be difficult/buggy sometimes.
2. OTG! I know this may be a bit more difficult to implement, but I tried it on my ASUS TF201 and it recognizes the otg connection, but there is no battery information and it doesn't recognize the bird as a Spark.
3. Allow for mission simulator to be run when the Spark is not connected (in offline mode)
4. Log completed missions for review later.

Great tool, and thanks for developing it. I will be leaving a five-star review on Google Play soon.

Oh, one final question, for 3D mapping. You have a grid option, which is great, but how do you change the grid orientation, for doing a two-layer grid in the opposite orientation?

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Waypoint
grid orientation is "map orientation based" so you can turn the map for "second layer grid"... maybe it's useful to add a specific function.
for photogrammetry is possible to add a log for LAT-LONG points of photos? standard gps tag on it are trunkated (and unuseful)

welcome SDK 4.6 :p

DJI has reportedly released support for waypoints in the latest SDK. Can it be included in Red Waypoint to make a fully autonomous missions possible?

I am kind of guessing but the Litchi beta app has support for waypoints, based on a Youtube video I saw. Red Waypoint is still better because it is free :)

This is awesome! Where did you hear this about the SDK?
Various forums and YouTube. Apps will also be supporting it soon. I think Red Waypoint has also published a new Beta version with new DJI SDK support probably with waypoints. If that is the case then autonomous mission without controller will be possible.

Thanks for this great app. I'm really getting used to it. A few features I'm requesting (as if you already don't have enough, ha ha).
1. Allow for yaw/spin without stopping/pausing the mission. I know you already allow for gimbal adjustments through the controller and this doesn't cancel the mission, but the yaw would be nice as well. This will help the camera focus on waypoints without using the POI icon, which can be difficult/buggy sometimes.
2. OTG! I know this may be a bit more difficult to implement, but I tried it on my ASUS TF201 and it recognizes the otg connection, but there is no battery information and it doesn't recognize the bird as a Spark.
3. Allow for mission simulator to be run when the Spark is not connected (in offline mode)
4. Log completed missions for review later.

Great tool, and thanks for developing it. I will be leaving a five-star review on Google Play soon.

Oh, one final question, for 3D mapping. You have a grid option, which is great, but how do you change the grid orientation, for doing a two-layer grid in the opposite orientation?
Thanks for the positive comments Geolitjon!
1) Yes you are right but you now that right now it is possible with Virtual Heading control but adding this feature with the remote controller will be much better!
2) OTG seems something that depends on DJI SDK even Litchi amd other third party SW do not support it.
3) Simulator needs dynamics responds from the aircraft, would be great that an extra SW could emulate this dynamics but not possible for the moment!
4) I agree too! Added to the tasks list

DJI has reportedly released support for waypoints in the latest SDK. Can it be included in Red Waypoint to make a fully autonomous missions possible?
Lastest SDK now compatible but still need to add other mission features it will take some time ;) Nevetherless there will be two Waypoint modes: Red Waypoint and DJI Waypoint with some differences, when implemented it will be explained

I am kind of guessing but the Litchi beta app has support for waypoints, based on a Youtube video I saw. Red Waypoint is still better because it is free :)
Yes after a lot of people making pressure about waypoint functionalities for a long time, and APPs like autopilot Hangar and Red waypoint already implementing it, DJI finally let Spark compatible with misions (Waypoint, Hot Point and Follow Me). Red Waypoint will take the advantage of this new two mission modes and will implement DJI Waypoint and will mantain Red Waypoint. The interaction, modification of the mission parameters, moving POI while flying automatically with Red Waypoint is not possible with DJI Waypoint.

Nevertheless DJI has announced that has started a new policy for developers, a new Membership system that begins in 30 days and it says:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Developer,

In a continuous effort to improve your experience, and following our prior announcement, we have published the new membership and support system for https://developer.dji.com.

Starting today, we have deployed the following changes:

Membership

A new membership system which begins today with two tiers:

• Basic - continues to offer a free membership that lets you register/activate SDKs on up to 20 unique mobile/onboard devices.
  • Pro - a paid membership for $99 per year that lets you use your app keys on more than 20 unique mobile/onboard devices, receive preferred treatment during support requests, and access Premium Support, opening up the door to future exclusive perks.

This will help establish a sustainable infrastructure to continue supporting our growing developer community. Developers with apps that currently have more than 20 unique registrations/activations will have 30 days to upgrade to a Pro Membership.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, the number of petitions of the Red Waypoint Google account with Google Maps has increased and soon they will start asking for money too. It is a shame to announce that soon Red Waypoint will not be a free APP

Various forums and YouTube. Apps will also be supporting it soon. I think Red Waypoint has also published a new Beta version with new DJI SDK support probably with waypoints. If that is the case then autonomous mission without controller will be possible.
Soon my friend! First is to add Follow Me and Orbit modes and then DJI Waypoint functionality ;)

I did a rapid test without taking off, OTG seems to be working in the last beta.
Test setup: Galxy S7 in airplane mode with OTG cable. The Spark is detected and the battery information is shown correctly on the map screen. Video is visible on the video screen. Need more testing to check if everything is working. Bad news that they force you to pay for the SDK. Personally I have no problem with paying a reasonable price for a good app which is actively developed in order to support the author, but I would hate paying just for the use of DJI and Google APIs.

I did a rapid test without taking off, OTG seems to be working in the last beta.
Test setup: Galxy S7 in airplane mode with OTG cable. The Spark is detected and the battery information is shown correctly on the map screen. Video is visible on the video screen. Need more testing to check if everything is working. Bad news that they force you to pay for the SDK. Personally I have no problem with paying a reasonable price for a good app which is actively developed in order to support the author, but I would hate paying just for the use of DJI and Google APIs.
Thanks for testing OTG fredoman! Other users also reported the same good news OTG is now working!

I did some flying outside today with OTG, it worked perfectly. It was also the first time I really tried to fly missions with the app, here is my feedback :

1) In outside conditions I do not see the plane symbol very well on the satellite map, maybe because I am a bit color-blind. A color with more contrast to the background would help to find my Spark instantly on the map.
2) The POI mission did not work out as expected, the camera pointed high above the waypoint. Coming back home I rewatched the tutorial and found out that I would have needed to set the gimbal inclination to automatic mode. I would suggest to make this the default behavior for POI missions.
3) On my first mission the Spark stopped at the second waypoint with connection problems. It rested some seconds and then aborted the mission. I could fly it back manually without any problems however. This waypoint was maybe 150-200 m away which is normally no problem at all at this location for manual flying. I should mention that I usually fly in FCC mode and that I am living in a CE country ;)
4) Second mission with a smaller circuit worked out fine for different speeds (10km/h, 20 km/h, 30 km/h). At 30km/h it drifted sometimes quite a bit off the expected path and it stopped for a while time at one waypoint. That's not really a surprise, flying fast and precise is maybe not easy.
5) I was missing two important flight parameters on the screen : distance from homepoint and maybe also distance (or time) remaining on the mission. Would it be possible to add those ?

So all in all a satisfying experience thank you very much for this nice piece of software. My only real issue are the connectivity problems. If you could find a way to prevent switching from FCC to CE (like in some modded apps) or make it optional (like in the original go app) this would make the app much more stable and safe to use for us living in the CE world. But as I understand the API does not allow this, too bad...

I did some flying outside today with OTG, it worked perfectly. It was also the first time I really tried to fly missions with the app, here is my feedback :

1) In outside conditions I do not see the plane symbol very well on the satellite map, maybe because I am a bit color-blind. A color with more contrast to the background would help to find my Spark instantly on the map.
2) The POI mission did not work out as expected, the camera pointed high above the waypoint. Coming back home I rewatched the tutorial and found out that I would have needed to set the gimbal inclination to automatic mode. I would suggest to make this the default behavior for POI missions.
3) On my first mission the Spark stopped at the second waypoint with connection problems. It rested some seconds and then aborted the mission. I could fly it back manually without any problems however. This waypoint was maybe 150-200 m away which is normally no problem at all at this location for manual flying. I should mention that I usually fly in FCC mode and that I am living in a CE country ;)
4) Second mission with a smaller circuit worked out fine for different speeds (10km/h, 20 km/h, 30 km/h). At 30km/h it drifted sometimes quite a bit off the expected path and it stopped for a while time at one waypoint. That's not really a surprise, flying fast and precise is maybe not easy.
5) I was missing two important flight parameters on the screen : distance from homepoint and maybe also distance (or time) remaining on the mission. Would it be possible to add those ?

So all in all a satisfying experience thank you very much for this nice piece of software. My only real issue are the connectivity problems. If you could find a way to prevent switching from FCC to CE (like in some modded apps) or make it optional (like in the original go app) this would make the app much more stable and safe to use for us living in the CE world. But as I understand the API does not allow this, too bad...
Hi Fredoman, thanks for your comments!
1) I think red color makes contrast with the MAP, which map view where you using, Satellite view or Roadmap view? in both cases it should contrast otherwise you are not in a red desert. Maybe try to increase screen illumination.
2) What happened to you is a common mistake people always do. You are right, automating the Gimbal Auto mode setting when flying in POI will be easier. Thanks for this comment!
3) If you are in a CE country, Red Waypoint cannot be set on FCC it automatically set on CE. I know it a shame but at the moment there is no way to avoid it. If it looses signal for some seconds the mission stops and the aircraft starts RTH. If it does not RTH and remains stopped maybe there is a problem with high wind and can not adjust properly the heading or the altitude to the desired bounds.
4) Aircraft dynamics depend on speed and of course at higher speed less precision. Maybe in a future I make some acceleration tests to tune the Spark dynamics.
5) You are right! in a future update this parameters will be added!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast