Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RED WAYPOINT

I have retry this today.
I see that you have update the app, now the speed has slider on it and I can confirmed that it is now run blazingly fast...

3 major problem I found:

- If you set the gimbal to auto, and while flying you try to move the gimbal using the slider within the app...it will crash the app...all of the button on the app suddenly gone and you can't press anything. Really hope you can fix this when you have time, it's been really fantastic using this app.
- I shot with 3 seconds interval but what it does is the camera take 2-3 pictures then stopped taking picture...I have to re press the take picture button every time it stop...if this problem can be fixed, it will make dji spark and red waypoint as fantastic duo for photogrammetry surface mapping
- The wifi settings automatically reset to CE mode (i'm using FCC mode on CE region). on Dji Go 4 app, it flashing a notification to reset the wifi that we can cancel

anyway, this app is fantastic
Hi Artob!
1- By long pressing the camera view you enter in a full screen FPV mode, maybe this was the effect you experienced. Even so I will try to replicate the GIMBAL AUTO error and solve it! Thanks for your report! How did you solve the problem? When the APP crashed it restarted the APP or it just didn't let you press any button? or the buttons where hide? did your restart the Red Waypoint APP? How did you stop the running mission? Remember that pressing the Cancel Button on the RC or touching the sticks on the RC or pressing Go Home button on the RC or switching to Sport mode on RC stops the automatic mode!
2- About the continous shotting interval, some other users reported the same problem as U. I haven't analyzed this bug yet, I will try to fix it.
3- Lots ofs users have commented me the same problem about the APP automatically switching to CE in a CE region. I have explored this issue but I still don't have idea how to fix it. It is done automatically and seems to be mandatory from the DJI mobile SDK. Has anybody test in a third party APP, such as Litchi, if it is possible to remain in FCC mode even in a CE region?

Reactions: pacman_Spark
That works, but it seems to be difficult to pinpoint a location for a home point that way as I basically just get a very large map. It would be amazing if I were able to enter an address or GPS coordinates.

Also, what is "POI" for? Edit: Never mind. I figured it out.

Thanks
Entering an address is never going to give you an accurate location, and GPS coordinates are what are stored once you have located a point on the map. No-one is going to know GPS coordinates. What is the problem with just moving and zooming in on the map? The map starts at your current location using the built-in android functionality, so moving to a new area and zooming in to find you precise new point is the same as using Google Maps. Or am I missing something?

Hi Artob!
1- By long pressing the camera view you enter in a full screen FPV mode, maybe this was the effect you experienced. Even so I will try to replicate the GIMBAL AUTO error and solve it! Thanks for your report! How did you solve the problem? When the APP crashed it restarted the APP or it just didn't let you press any button? or the buttons where hide? did your restart the Red Waypoint APP? How did you stop the running mission? Remember that pressing the Cancel Button on the RC or touching the sticks on the RC or pressing Go Home button on the RC or switching to Sport mode on RC stops the automatic mode!
2- About the continous shotting interval, some other users reported the same problem as U. I haven't analyzed this bug yet, I will try to fix it.
3- Lots ofs users have commented me the same problem about the APP automatically switching to CE in a CE region. I have explored this issue but I still don't have idea how to fix it. It is done automatically and seems to be mandatory from the DJI mobile SDK. Has anybody test in a third party APP, such as Litchi, if it is possible to remain in FCC mode even in a CE region?
As far as I can tell the auto FCC to CE switching is a function of the DJI SDK. Litchi works the same way. Only DJI Go 4 seems to ask if you want to switch or not.

Reactions: Red Waypoint
Hi Artob!

1. When it crashed (or i think it crashed) any part of the screen that i touch doesn't changed anything. No button showed back and the screen keep running fullscreen live view feed and the mission still continue. I'm fully aware that if i touch the rc stick it will stop the mission and back to manual control. As i'm not confident continue the mission without having control through the app, i stop the mission by moving the joystick and bring back the spark and land it safely. I restart the app (just the app, aircraft and rc remains on) when it landed and restart the mission. This time, it finished successfully.

2. For mapping purposes, this issue is the most important. When it stopped taking pictures, repressing the shutter on the app is not fully responsive, therefore i lost a few meters without getting image. Anyway, i have processed the image in agisoft and the result still fantastic!

3. I've never used Litchi, but imho, this is not a big deal for me as i can get back to the fcc mode once i landed with dji mod app. It's just that if it can run in fcc while in ce region, it will be perfect as the signal strength will be better on fcc mode.

Please let us know by post in here if you can fix issue number 2....thanks heaps....

1. When it crashed (or i think it crashed) any part of the screen that i touch doesn't changed anything. No button showed back and the screen keep running fullscreen live view feed and the mission still continue. I'm fully aware that if i touch the rc stick it will stop the mission and back to manual control. As i'm not confident continue the mission without having control through the app, i stop the mission by moving the joystick and bring back the spark and land it safely. I restart the app (just the app, aircraft and rc remains on) when it landed and restart the mission. This time, it finished successfully.

2. For mapping purposes, this issue is the most important. When it stopped taking pictures, repressing the shutter on the app is not fully responsive, therefore i lost a few meters without getting image. Anyway, i have processed the image in agisoft and the result still fantastic!

3. I've never used Litchi, but imho, this is not a big deal for me as i can get back to the fcc mode once i landed with dji mod app. It's just that if it can run in fcc while in ce region, it will be perfect as the signal strength will be better on fcc mode.

Please let us know by post in here if you can fix issue number 2....thanks heaps....
1. Long press at the screen (full camera view) didn't work to go back to normal camera view?
2. Nice! I would like to see your 3D model results obtained! Continous shooting seems to be a problem with the inbuild continous shooting method, I will implement this functionality separated in the next Red Waypoint update. If you are using POI mode for mapping, in the next Red Wayoint update there is a new implementation for smoothing the movement of the gimbal for the automatic gimbal mode.
3. In a future, if DJI SDK enables to ask before switching the FCC to CE I would implement it.

1. Long press at the screen (full camera view) didn't work to go back to normal camera view?
2. Nice! I would like to see your 3D model results obtained! Continous shooting seems to be a problem with the inbuild continous shooting method, I will implement this functionality separated in the next Red Waypoint update. If you are using POI mode for mapping, in the next Red Wayoint update there is a new implementation for smoothing the movement of the gimbal for the automatic gimbal mode.
3. In a future, if DJI SDK enables to ask before switching the FCC to CE I would implement it.

I don't remember if long pressed the screen when I think it crashed, will try as soon as I can get access to open area, today I was try this on very tight dense suburban area.

Here's the reconstruction result, I record in mp4 as i'm not sure you can open DEM file

Dropbox - red_wp_trial.mp4

here is the top view of the picture taken vs DEM (Digital Elevation Model) created
trial_red_wp.jpg

You can see that at several there's blank area without any picture.
Usually, I just fly manually with Dji Go 4 App with the camera shutter set at 3 seconds interval. On Dji Go 4, the 3 seconds interval executed smoothly never stopped unless I tell it to stop, here is the result as comparison

manual_mode.jpg

Hoping that you can solve the interval shutter problem that will make RedWaypoint as fantastic mapping app!

I don't remember if long pressed the screen when I think it crashed, will try as soon as I can get access to open area, today I was try this on very tight dense suburban area.

Here's the reconstruction result, I record in mp4 as i'm not sure you can open DEM file

here is the top view of the picture taken vs DEM (Digital Elevation Model) created
View attachment 5299

Usually, I just fly manually with Dji Go 4 App with the camera shutter set at 3 seconds interval. On Dji Go 4, the 3 seconds interval executed smoothly never stopped unless I tell it to stop, here is the result as comparison

View attachment 5300

Hoping that you can solve the interval shutter problem that will make RedWaypoint as fantastic mapping app!
Thats Great Cool results! I understand that you need a minimum of overlapping between images, and as much images better so the lowest speed you get better results. I expect on friday to update the new Red Waypoint version with the continous shot feature correctly working! Keep on with your work!

Hello Red Waypoint,
thanks for the awesome app ! I did some testing today. Very windy day so I did not go very far, but the basic functionality was working : defining a waypoint mission and running it. Really cool !
I noticed the possibility to specify simulated GPS coordinates, I guess this is for switching to FCC mode, right ? How should this be used exactly ? Do I need to activate the simulation each time I use the app or only once ?

Hello Red Waypoint,
thanks for the awesome app ! I did some testing today. Very windy day so I did not go very far, but the basic functionality was working : defining a waypoint mission and running it. Really cool !
I noticed the possibility to specify simulated GPS coordinates, I guess this is for switching to FCC mode, right ? How should this be used exactly ? Do I need to activate the simulation each time I use the app or only once ?
No is not for FCC switching! Simulation is for testing the flight plan you created without flying it! In simulation mode the aircraft will simulate the flight but will not fly! You send the commands to the aircraft and you receive all the status information, it is for validation purposes

Reactions: Haggi
Will the DJI spark and other platforms safety features still in place like battery warning and RTH due to lost of comms etc etc

Entering an address is never going to give you an accurate location, and GPS coordinates are what are stored once you have located a point on the map. No-one is going to know GPS coordinates. What is the problem with just moving and zooming in on the map? The map starts at your current location using the built-in android functionality, so moving to a new area and zooming in to find you precise new point is the same as using Google Maps. Or am I missing something?
Thank you for the response.

The problem with zooming in on the map with location turned off is that I only get a very distant view and I don't think it's my last location based on my current built in android functionality (all though it's hard to tell as the view is so far away). It has me directly over a large body of water. Also, this morning when I checked with my location turned off, it showed me the exact view as last night when I checked and I'm about 75 miles away - both last night and today I only turned off my location right before opening the app.

This is where the app showed me both last night and today:

Screenshot_20180615-003753_RedWaypoint.jpg

Thank you

Will the DJI spark and other platforms safety features still in place like battery warning and RTH due to lost of comms etc etc
Hi goixiz,
The safety features are there! When battery arrives to a threshold the drone starts going home, a second threshold and starts to land and if it looses communications normally it RTH (But it can start landing or remain static in the air, check your configuration!). Take into account that this features are saved by default in the configuration of your drone. If you fly with the remote controller standalone (without any APP) this functionalities are still there. Red waypoint is compatible with this features but it does not let you configure this type of settings, use DJI GO APP instead.

Thank you for the response.

The problem with zooming in on the map with location turned off is that I only get a very distant view and I don't think it's my last location based on my current built in android functionality (all though it's hard to tell as the view is so far away). It has me directly over a large body of water. Also, this morning when I checked with my location turned off, it showed me the exact view as last night when I checked and I'm about 75 miles away - both last night and today I only turned off my location right before opening the app.

This is where the app showed me both last night and today:

View attachment 5328

Thank you
Hi Gabe!
When there is no Location information, the default coordinates is 0deg Latitude and 0deg Longitude, somewhere in the Atlantic. I recommend you to follow this steps:
1) turn on your location.
2) wait until the map updates to your location.
3) turn off your location
4) zoom out the map and move to the desired location
5) zoom in and set the Green Waypoint (the home coordinate) in the desired location
After this you can plan without problems, when you press locate it will center the map at your home position.

I know that it would be great to enter a street and a number to automatically locate places for mission planning but at the moment not planning to add this feature.

Reactions: Gabe23111
Hi Gabe!
When there is no Location information, the default coordinates is 0deg Latitude and 0deg Longitude, somewhere in the Atlantic. I recommend you to follow this steps:
5) zoom in and set the Green Waypoint (the home coordinate) in the desired location
After this you can plan without problems, when you press locate it will center the map at your home position.

I know that it would be great to enter a street and a number to automatically locate places for mission planning but at the moment not planning to add this feature.

Just to add to David’s instructions...

1. First ensure you are running version 1.1.5. This is the latest version but I had to delete my older version first because Google Play didn’t automatically update it. It said my device might not be compatible even though I have never had a problem with earlier versions updates. (I am using a Nexus 7 tablet). You can find the version number by the green Info icon on the start up screen.

2. Ensure you have location services turned ON on your device. Without this the device doesn’t know where you are and so defaults to gps point 0N 0E which is a location called “Null Island” off the coast of West Africa in the Atlantic.

3. Select offline mode. The map should update to your current location.

4. You do NOT need to turn off location services on your device. Simply move the map to your new Home Point, select the green waypoint icon and drop it on your map.

5. With the new Home Point positioned, every time you press the Red locate icon on the left you will be centred at your new HP. If you don’t position a Green HP on the map every time you press the Red icon you will be recentred to your actual current location.

6. Plot your waypoints and plan your mission.

7. Don’t forget to save the mission!

@Red Waypoint... David, a few observations fr you:

1. When you clear all waypoints the Home Point should also be cleared. Other points including POI are cleared, but not the HP.
2. It is almost impossible to move a point once set. This includes waypoints, HP, and POI. There needs to be a way of moving them easily. currently, touching a point is treated as an action to move the map.
3. When you touch the Take Off/Land icon there needs to be a warning such as "Confirm Take Off?" and "Confirm Land?". I pressed it by mistake and my aircraft took off when I wasn't expecting it! And if I had already been flying it would have started landing when I didn't want it to! Both dangerous actions.
4. When the aircraft is connected I believe you look for the GPS of the aircraft in order to return a home location. If the aircraft is indoors (no gps signal), or doesn't return a strong number of satellites, you should default to the device location, until such time as the aircraft has a good number of satellites.
5. Just to let you know Red Waypoint seems to recognise the Mavic Air, although I haven't tested a mission yet.
6. In online mode the RTH (Go Home) button give an "Undefined Error". It could be because the aircraft is not flying at the time. Again, this button needs a "Confirm" message (if it doesn't already - I haven't tested it in flight!)
7. Something I don't think you have documented: In camera view you can drag a single finger down the screen (from nearly at the top to near to the bottom) and the screen changes to full camera mode (and back).

Hi Gabe!

Got it. Thank you!

That worked :)

@Red Waypoint... David, a few observations fr you:

1. When you clear all waypoints the Home Point should also be cleared. Other points including POI are cleared, but not the HP.
2. It is almost impossible to move a point once set. This includes waypoints, HP, and POI. There needs to be a way of moving them easily. currently, touching a point is treated as an action to move the map.
3. When you touch the Take Off/Land icon there needs to be a warning such as "Confirm Take Off?" and "Confirm Land?". I pressed it by mistake and my aircraft took off when I wasn't expecting it! And if I had already been flying it would have started landing when I didn't want it to! Both dangerous actions.
4. When the aircraft is connected I believe you look for the GPS of the aircraft in order to return a home location. If the aircraft is indoors (no gps signal), or doesn't return a strong number of satellites, you should default to the device location, until such time as the aircraft has a good number of satellites.
5. Just to let you know Red Waypoint seems to recognise the Mavic Air, although I haven't tested a mission yet.
6. In online mode the RTH (Go Home) button give an "Undefined Error". It could be because the aircraft is not flying at the time. Again, this button needs a "Confirm" message (if it doesn't already - I haven't tested it in flight!)
7. Something I don't think you have documented: In camera view you can drag a single finger down the screen (from nearly at the top to near to the bottom) and the screen changes to full camera mode (and back).
Hi Pacman!! Thanks for your comments, red waypoint is getting every day better thanks to users reporting bugs and sharing their opinions.
1- In offline mode home point is symbolic, it is for planning the mission and locating the view to that point. When you connect in online mode, that home point is overrided by the real home point detected by the aircraft. In online mode if there is no Home point means that there are not enough satellites so if you create a mission in online mode you can not clear the home point. Just following the same filósofo in offline mode.
2- Sometimes it is difficult to move the Waypoints, I will try to see how can be improved.
3- You are right Red waypoint needs confirmation for Take Off, Landing and going Home.
4- Same as 1, in online mode I don't want to display a home point(it could be device location) but if the aircraft has not enough satellites don't want to confuse the user by setting a home point, because they can start flying without having a Home point and that is dangerous.
5- You are going to be the first one trying Mavic air with red waypoint. I am EXCITED to hear about your results!
6- RTH error, thanks for reporting the bug. I will try to replicate the error by pressing the button when not flying.
7- Full screen mode actually works by Long Pressing (2sec) the camera view.
8- If gimbal is in manual mode, the gimbal slider can be moved by the user but if it is in Automatic mode it is disabled. Hope this is the reason!

View attachment 5299

View attachment 5300

Subscribe to Beta on Play Store and check the new Autoshot feature :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilot6521