Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RED WAYPOINT

The DJI SDK has default suggestions for Low, Mid, and High speed, but these can be individually changed so it should be possible for David (@Red Waypoint) to adjust them, or just add a speed slider rather than the current radio buttons. I suspect David has given the three choices to make things easier for users. This is a very new app so I'm sure David will be adding lots of great new features over time!

We are planning to change the Speed setting. Now, speed values depend on the drone used, but we want to implement a variable speed by using a slider and select the exact speed in Km/h (I will also add support for Miles per hour)

Reactions: Kidroc
I use an IPhone, but wanted to install this to Genymotion to check it out... Google Play says there is no compatible device available. What are you looking for?
I am not acquainted with Genymotion. The required minimum Android API version for Red Waypoint is
Lollipop 5.0.

Hi David,

I have flown 4 different missions now and it does work great. Few remarks or improvements you can think about:

1. Flying in EU I use FCC mode but the app actually resets it back to CE mode. The original DJI GO 4 app asks you to change everytime you start up. Maybe you can add the same logic. Alternatively use OTG to keep signal strength.
2. The gimbal actually does not move and I have tried various settings but camera angle remains the same.
3. At first it was difficult to understand to fly to first waypoint and hit play button. Maybe you should give a pop up screen explaining this when u start the bird.

Keep up the great work.

Hi TheFlyer,
1) The DJI GO automatically checks the country and resets the FCC/CE configuration, I will explore how to mantain current settings. OTG is a feature I will try to set.
2) Gimbal has 2 settings MANUAL and AUTOMATIC. To move the gimbal in manual mode, first configure the gimbal speed or time and then use the gimbal slider. In Automatic mode, the gimbal will move according to the flying mode, if it is selected Custom settings will move to the Waypoint custom settings configured, if it is configured in POI mode, it will point to the POI altitude configured.
3) Soon I will provide tutorials for flying

Reactions: theflyer
What happens if the drone lost the signal with the controller? is it possible to set the return to home altitude before start the mission? and if the drone loses the gps signal and enter in atti mode? what happens?
If the drone looses signal with controller or looses GPS signal automatically GOES HOME. In the Red Waypoint you can not configure the GO HOME altitude, it uses the preconfigured setting. Seems something valuable as many users have request for this feature. I will take it into account

Reactions: Rouchi
I finally got to try this app for the first time today. It looks like it has great potential. Like someone else has mentioned, the Spark flies painfully slow on the mission. I created a mission offline that would take it about 2/3 of a mile (about 1000 meters) round-trip. It took the Spark a couple of minutes to ascend to 120 meters and then it crept toward the second waypoint. I had to call it off before the third waypoint because I didn't think it would have enough battery to do the round trip. I like the concept, but I can't use it without being able to increase speed. Thank you!

Edit to add: It would be great to be able to see the camera view while flying the mission.

I finally got to try this app for the first time today. It looks like it has great potential. Like someone else has mentioned, the Spark flies painfully slow on the mission. I created a mission offline that would take it about 2/3 of a mile (about 1000 meters) round-trip. It took the Spark a couple of minutes to ascend to 120 meters and then it crept toward the second waypoint. I had to call it off before the third waypoint because I didn't think it would have enough battery to do the round trip. I like the concept, but I can't use it without being able to increase speed. Thank you!

Edit to add: It would be great to be able to see the camera view while flying the mission.

I try the app yesterday, you can see the camera view while flying the mission by pressing the eye button on the lower right corner...
But yes, as you mention, it was too slow even at the highest speed.
I plan the mission on high speed and the mission run only around 10 Km/h (same as manual fly with sensor on)...
the other thing is, I set the camera to shot on 2 seconds interval with gimbal 90 degrees, but the camera shot stopped after 10 shot...

when I flew manually with 2s interval camera shot, it stopped until I tell it to stop...hoping that it can be sorted out, it will be the best app for photogrammetry survey...

Here's a clip from a video I made yesterday. The Spark was transiting from waypoint 1 to 2. It seemed to move in a jerky, step-like motion.

I can't seem to get it to connect to my spark go works great so does litchi but when i try red waypoint i plan a mission but have never been able to get the connect button to un grey.. Any thoughts using a LG stylo 3 plus and it works great for go 4 and litchi but i really want waypoints for the spark!!

I try the app yesterday, you can see the camera view while flying the mission by pressing the eye button on the lower right corner...
But yes, as you mention, it was too slow even at the highest speed.
I plan the mission on high speed and the mission run only around 10 Km/h (same as manual fly with sensor on)...
the other thing is, I set the camera to shot on 2 seconds interval with gimbal 90 degrees, but the camera shot stopped after 10 shot...

when I flew manually with 2s interval camera shot, it stopped until I tell it to stop...hoping that it can be sorted out, it will be the best app for photogrammetry survey...

It is supposed to work the automatic 2sec interval camera shot. I will evaluate this feature. Regarding to the speed now there are only 3 options, but at maximum speed you can reach the 18Km/h in horizontal and 10Km/h in vertical. I am planning to create a slider and set manually the speed in km/h. The sport mode is not supported in automatic mode.

Here's a clip from a video I made yesterday. The Spark was transiting from waypoint 1 to 2. It seemed to move in a jerky, step-like motion.

Hi NY_Spark_3D, Wanted to ask you some questions about the flight. How was your WiFi connection? This can affect to the commands send from the smartphone to the Aircraft. In which mode where you flying? (Auto?, Initial?, Custom?, VC?, POI?) and was the gimbal set to (AUTO or MANUAL??). There are still some issues when gimbal is in automatic mode I am working on it ;)

Reactions: NC_Spark_3D
I can't seem to get it to connect to my spark go works great so does litchi but when i try red waypoint i plan a mission but have never been able to get the connect button to un grey.. Any thoughts using a LG stylo 3 plus and it works great for go 4 and litchi but i really want waypoints for the spark!!
In LG it should work fine. Which Android version?
1) Remember to register the first time by having an internet connection.
2) Connect via the Remote Controller Wifi.
3) Make shure DJI GO and Litchi programs are turned off.

Hi NY_Spark_3D, Wanted to ask you some questions about the flight. How was your WiFi connection? This can affect to the commands send from the smartphone to the Aircraft. In which mode where you flying? (Auto?, Initial?, Custom?, VC?, POI?) and was the gimbal set to (AUTO or MANUAL??). There are still some issues when gimbal is in automatic mode I am working on it ;)
The WiFi connection was very good. The Spark was in sight about 120 meters above me. As for the other controls, I have never changed any of those. I just fly it in the default configuration.

I am quite the noob so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

Do you need to be in the location of your mission when preparing it off-line? Meaning, I am at work (about 50 miles from my home) and want to prepare a mission for when I get home. Is there a way for me to enter coordinates (or address) near my home while at my office? When I "plan offline" I don't see where I can enter coordinates (other than dragging the MAP).

I don't think it matters, but I am using the Galaxy S8+

Thank you David for taking this project on. I (along with others I'm sure) have been waiting for this since I got the Spark.

Do you need to be in the location of your mission when preparing it off-line? Meaning, I am at work (about 50 miles from my home) and want to prepare a mission for when I get home. Is there a way for me to enter coordinates (or address) near my home while at my office? When I "plan offline" I don't see where I can enter coordinates (other than dragging the MAP).

Thank you David for taking this project on. I (along with others I'm sure) have been waiting for this since I got the Spark.
First disable location on your android device, then move the map to the desired place and then set a green waypoint home in the place you want to plan

First disable location on your android device, then move the map to the desired place and then set a green waypoint home in the place you want to plan
That works, but it seems to be difficult to pinpoint a location for a home point that way as I basically just get a very large map. It would be amazing if I were able to enter an address or GPS coordinates.

Also, what is "POI" for? Edit: Never mind. I figured it out.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Waypoint
It is supposed to work the automatic 2sec interval camera shot. I will evaluate this feature. Regarding to the speed now there are only 3 options, but at maximum speed you can reach the 18Km/h in horizontal and 10Km/h in vertical. I am planning to create a slider and set manually the speed in km/h. The sport mode is not supported in automatic mode.

I have retry this today.
I see that you have update the app, now the speed has slider on it and I can confirmed that it is now run blazingly fast...

3 major problem I found:

- If you set the gimbal to auto, and while flying you try to move the gimbal using the slider within the app...it will crash the app...all of the button on the app suddenly gone and you can't press anything. Really hope you can fix this when you have time, it's been really fantastic using this app.
- I shot with 3 seconds interval but what it does is the camera take 2-3 pictures then stopped taking picture...I have to re press the take picture button every time it stop...if this problem can be fixed, it will make dji spark and red waypoint as fantastic duo for photogrammetry surface mapping
- The wifi settings automatically reset to CE mode (i'm using FCC mode on CE region). on Dji Go 4 app, it flashing a notification to reset the wifi that we can cancel

anyway, this app is fantastic

Reactions: Red Waypoint

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers