Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG - just not needed...

I'm in the UK and I HAVE to use an OTG cable as I NEED to fly on 2.4ghz as I lose signal <100m away using 5.8ghz. There is no way of selecting 2.4ghz without an OTG cable, that I know of. If DJI remove OTG functionality when they eventually release 4.1.10 for Android, I'll be buggered.

I use a Crystalsky with my Spark but the firmware for that, despite it being an expensive dedicated DJI device, is 4 or 5 revisons back.

It appears that there is so much variability in the range that people's Sparks can achieve so there is no right or wrong here, each Spark seems to require a different solution.

Your video footage was horrible.... weak signal too. I've had mine out to 2.1km and still had near zero latency with the video footage.... but I guess I am one of the folks out there that like to see my inputs react on my video footage right away. If I have lag then I don't fly till it is sorted as you could hit something before you would even know or see it on your screen..... and with every home and busniess using wifi signals and Bluetooth it makes sense to eliminate further signal disruptions near or next to your controller. Further more most of those big range tests are done with fcc versions not CE which we have to put up with here in Oz. But it is clear you like choppy laggy video feed...... each to their own I guess.

I'm in the UK and I HAVE to use an OTG cable as I NEED to fly on 2.4ghz as I lose signal <100m away using 5.8ghz. There is no way of selecting 2.4ghz without an OTG cable, that I know of. If DJI remove OTG functionality when they eventually release 4.1.10 for Android, I'll be buggered.

I use a Crystalsky with my Spark but the firmware for that, despite it being an expensive dedicated DJI device, is 4 or 5 revisons back.

It appears that there is so much variability in the range that people's Sparks can achieve so there is no right or wrong here, each Spark seems to require a different solution.

Rumour has it that Crystal Sky will be officially supported with OTG.

It definitely is at the moment, it's what happens in future firmware updates that I'm concerned about. The Spark go if they remove it.

Reactions: Lamplighter55
but I guess I am one of the folks out there that like to see my inputs react on my video footage right away.

Amen brother.

I usually fly with my dedicated Apple mini4 (my first Apple), just because I did research on this forum on what's good to use BEFORE buying the Spark.

I've used the OTG at first, but I've been flying without it since the latest firmware updates and feeling confidant. The delay is negligible without OTG.

However, I find myself still reaching for that cable about every other flight just because it's one less possible disconnect.

I flew my Spark a few times with my Samsung Galaxy S7 without the cable and boy did the video lag SUCK.

Haven't tried with the cable. Not sure if I want to bother. My phone doesn't fit securely in the RC without hitting the Home button anyway.

Reactions: Wombatclay
Amen brother.

I usually fly with my dedicated Apple mini4 (my first Apple), just because I did research on this forum on what's good to use BEFORE buying the Spark.

I've used the OTG at first, but I've been flying without it since the latest firmware updates and feeling confidant. The delay is negligible without OTG.

However, I find myself still reaching for that cable about every other flight just because it's one less possible disconnect.

I flew my Spark a few times with my Samsung Galaxy S7 without the cable and boy did the video lag SUCK.

Haven't tried with the cable. Not sure if I want to bother. My phone doesn't fit securely in the RC without hitting the Home button anyway.
Yeah I use my S8+. Turn it so the charge port is to the left and it solves that problem as I was having the same issue with the floating home button (Have exited the app a few times changing from photo to video). OTG is flawless with Galaxy phones as Samsung supports OTG. Apple don't support OTG, well they don't want you to know as it makes some of their accessories pointless especially with some of the prices of their kit.... and imagine Apple's reaction when people started loading usb sticks with movies and watching them from their usb via OTG.... and the Galaxy specs make it handle the app really well.

I'll try the cable with my phone and the orintation of it as well.

Thanks.
Good to have a backup.

Prior to buying my Spark I bought an otg cable based on everything I’d read here. I’ve never used it. I don’t even know where it is. My Spark is perfect without it - so I can see the point of the OP's video.

But, just because I’m ok - doesn’t mean everyone will be. I think it’s personal preference depending on the system you’re using.

I'm with you. I used to use it religiously, but found it to be kind of a hassle, which distracted from what was supposed to be a quick and easy pre-flight setup. Tried it without once and everything was fine. I still pack it in the case, but I haven't used it since.

I won’t pretend to completely understand the need for the OTG cable, but I bought it based on early comments on this forum. I used it a couple times in the beginning. But since then I’ve done dozens of flights without it on my Apple devices, I’ve not noticed any issues. So for me its not needed...

It seems to be less of an issue with ios devices but OTG is pretty much essential with android gear.
Seems Dji have fine tuned the ios app, not so much the one for android.

Was about to say that as well, further evidence of this is the perfectly smooth video feedback during Dronies on iOS whereas it's choppy on Android phones, even powerful models with the Snapdragon 625.

Without the cable I keep losing the connection between phone and remote after about 30 seconds. I also have to have set the phone to wifi then, which can cause the phone to switch to another network (it switched to my homes network while flying once), hence the cable is a must. It's also faster in pushing the images and videos to my phone, as I quite often want to Instagram on the way home.

Just had a look at your range test video.
The video feed is horrendous !!
You had the weak image signal warning throughout most of the flight.
Are you seriously saying you're happy with that ??

No I'm not happy with the video feed, however the OTG makes no difference.
And a "weak image signal" is the transmission between the remote and the craft, not the feed from remote to phone.
Maybe you could upload some of your video feed so I can see its performance over a longer trip.

Last edited:
I'm so new to the overall Spark game but recently have begun using the OTG cable set up. I don't do long distance flight....always my eye on the drone. Have a dedicated ipad mini-4 (my first Apple product) and am bluetoothing the Garmin GLO to the pad. So far with my dinky little flights all is well.

No I'm not happy with the video feed, however the OTG makes no difference.
And a "weak image signal" is the transmission between the remote and the craft, not the feed from remote to phone.
Maybe you could upload some of your video feed so I can see its performance over a longer trip.

Fellow Aussie here. Sorry, but that video feed is dismal. I’ve never had a feed even a tenth that bad. But I’ve always used an OTG...

Also, not sure I’m a fan of your distance test over a heavily populated area like that. And I suspect neither would CASA...

Reactions: Scobo
No - you do not understand the technicalities of DMS 5.8ghz channel allocation and restrictions in certain geographic locations with non DMS channel devices. This will restrict the RF link and force a 5.8ghz link between RC and aircraft meaning 2.4 must be used for the monitoring device.
By using OTG it is possible to circumvent this restriction and manually select 2.4ghz which gives greater EIRP together with better penetration of signal.
Also, because another RF link is taken out of the loop, the risk of swamping the front end of the RC receiver is minimized and an added benefit for many users is latency is much improved.
So no, it isn't BS. Please get your facts correct.
You’re 110% correct!!! No idea what that user is thinking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast