Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG - just not needed...

Hi Spark lovers. There's been a lot of talk about using the OTG cable for the Spark, but I'm not convinced and stopped using it some time ago. Here's my reasoning:
No - you do not understand the technicalities of DMS 5.8ghz channel allocation and restrictions in certain geographic locations with non DMS channel devices. This will restrict the RF link and force a 5.8ghz link between RC and aircraft meaning 2.4 must be used for the monitoring device.
By using OTG it is possible to circumvent this restriction and manually select 2.4ghz which gives greater EIRP together with better penetration of signal.
Also, because another RF link is taken out of the loop, the risk of swamping the front end of the RC receiver is minimized and an added benefit for many users is latency is much improved.
So no, it isn't BS. Please get your facts correct.

No - you do not understand the technicalities of DMS 5.8ghz channel allocation and restrictions in certain geographic locations with non DMS channel devices. This will restrict the RF link and force a 5.8ghz link between RC and aircraft meaning 2.4 must be used for the monitoring device.
By using OTG it is possible to circumvent this restriction and manually select 2.4ghz which gives greater EIRP together with better penetration of signal.
Also, because another RF link is taken out of the loop, the risk of swamping the front end of the RC receiver is minimized and an added benefit for many users is latency is much improved.
So no, it isn't BS. Please get your facts correct.

What facts are you referring to? I'm calling BS on the actual "need" to use the cable. You state: "added benefit for many users is latency is much improved" - either it is improved for all users or it is not - otherwise it again smells like....

If using an iOS device, OTG doesn’t add much, because switching 2.4 and 5.8 isn’t an issue. The complete flip side is some android devices that will not even pick up 5.8 (they use 5.0 instead because of local regulations). In this case you have no choice but use an OTG.

If using an iOS device, OTG doesn’t add much, because switching 2.4 and 5.8 isn’t an issue. The complete flip side is some android devices that will not even pick up 5.8 (they use 5.0 instead because of local regulations). In this case you have no choice but use an OTG.
Yes I can see that in some limited situations you might gain an advantage from using an OTG, and by all means the pilot can justify using the cable. However, to promote it as something that will benefit all users is misleading and really needs to be considered among a range of pros and cons. I have found it to be an unacceptable risk, inconvenient, and can see no useful benefit in performance as the craft has reached the 4000m mark without it.
And that's really the point of the video: "do I really need to use the OTG, or can I have an enjoyable drone life without it?" Maybe DJI thought the latter when they released the Spark.

Reactions: pvitale
What facts are you referring to? I'm calling BS on the actual "need" to use the cable. You state: "added benefit for many users is latency is much improved" - either it is improved for all users or it is not - otherwise it again smells like....
The facts of DMS (local radar) channel allocation and the fact that many mobile devices are prohibited from using the channels. Latency depends on the device, how powerful it is, how well it runs the software, how much multipath interference there is, how much 2.4/5.8ghz noise and many other factors.
I'm sorry but the simple facts are:
  • Using OTG for many is a necessity
  • You do not understand what you are talking about in calling BS on something you have no technical knowledge or background in

Reactions: Brianuc4 and Scobo
The facts of DMS (local radar) channel allocation and the fact that many mobile devices are prohibited from using the channels. Latency depends on the device, how powerful it is, how well it runs the software, how much multipath interference there is, how much 2.4/5.8ghz noise and many other factors.
I'm sorry but the simple facts are:
  • Using OTG for many is a necessity
  • You do not understand what you are talking about in calling BS on something you have no technical knowledge or background in
Its not about channel allocation or EIRP, the whole point is around satisfactory user experience. Is the OTG really necessary for a happy drone life? DJI doesn't seem to think so otherwise there would have been a cable in the box. Does it actually deliver significant perceivable benefits for the majority of users? Does it outweigh the risks? Will it void warranty? And it is about how the OTG is being promoted as the must have item, when in fact, that is simply not the case. If somebody actually NEEDS to use it, yes use it, otherwise is it worth the bother?

Last edited:
Reactions: MannyCAM2001
Prior to buying my Spark I bought an otg cable based on everything I’d read here. I’ve never used it. I don’t even know where it is. My Spark is perfect without it - so I can see the point of the OP's video.

But, just because I’m ok - doesn’t mean everyone will be. I think it’s personal preference depending on the system you’re using.

Reactions: Donny and friedom
I only use the OTG due to the poor/laggy video feed I get from the sparks camera, whilst with the OTG in use the video feed is clear and smooth.

Same here, the feed is just not as smooth without the OTG cable so why not use one if you have one ? Is it COMPULSORY to use one, no, but the experience is a lot better, at least in my experience and of course there's the 2.4/5.8 switching issue in Europe as mentioned above.

OTG allows me to run 2.4ghz and removes image latency on the screen.... with out it after the image would just be pathetic..... It worked for me thats for sure

Reactions: RustyStainless
And that's really the point of the video: "do I really need to use the OTG, or can I have an enjoyable drone life without it?"

Yes I can see that in some limited situations you might gain an advantage from using an OTG
Some don't, but some definitely do. Question is what percentage, but nobody really knows.

However, to promote it as something that will benefit all users is misleading
Better to suggest people try it and some find it not to be useful and decide to stop using it, than not talki about it or tell people they don't need it and have people getting a poor experience and staying stuck thinking that's as "good" as they'll get when just plugging a cable would make a world of difference.

I.e. going around saying nobody needs it is as stupid or even worse than telling everybody needs it.

I have found it to be an unacceptable risk
o_O

For me I use OTG connection so that my phone (Android) can be connected to the internet while flying. Using a satellite overlay is much more helpful than the basic map. I also want to try live streaming. Without OTG I wouldn't be able to use these features.
This does not work for me. My remote cannot maintain WiFi connection even with the OTG cable in. See this video where I try casting to a TV. As soon as the OTG stumbles it knocks out the connection to the TV.. That's been my experience, others may have had success.

Some don't, but some definitely do. Question is what percentage, but nobody really knows.

Better to suggest people try it and some find it not to be useful and decide to stop using it, than not talki about it or tell people they don't need it and have people getting a poor experience and staying stuck thinking that's as "good" as they'll get when just plugging a cable would make a world of difference.

I.e. going around saying nobody needs it is as stupid or even worse than telling everybody needs it.

o_O
Sorry but I have seen no evidence that it makes a "world of difference". I feel that this is overstating the benefits. But I do have personal experience of it not working reliably in many instances and for me that has out weighed any benefit.

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
Makes a BIG difference to the video feed with my android phone plus it extends my range by quite some way.
This video backs that up .....

Reactions: GGV24
Makes a BIG difference to the video feed with my android phone plus it extends my range by quite some way.
This video backs that up .....

As mentioned, I don't use the OTG anymore. Here's a recent "flight record" of a 4054m/13300ft journey. So again, I don't believe the OTG is of any added value for distance flights. Now parabolic Antenna Range Extenders are a different story - they definitely work and are worth the effort.

Last edited:
As mentioned, I don't use the OTG anymore. Here's a recent "flight record" of a 4054m/13300ft journey. So again, I don't believe the OTG is of any added value for distance flights. Now parabolic Antenna Range Extenders are a different story - they definitely work and are worth the effort.

Maybe not in your case but many other people are finding their range is greatly improved with OTG, especially with android devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe