Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG - just not needed...

Just had a look at your range test video.
The video feed is horrendous !!
You had the weak image signal warning throughout most of the flight.
Are you seriously saying you're happy with that ??

He's on 5.8ghz and starting amongst trees, so expected degradation in signal, also the parabolic range extenders will have slightly narrowed the beam which in close proximity could mean slipping out of the catchment cone. I think as a rule of thumb 10k foot range is reasonable give the surrounding built-up area (other wifi signals/interference and that he was on 5.8ghz freq band).

Reactions: pvitale
I think we can safely say that OTG is good for some people and unnecessary for others. Personally, I can't wait to get one. Reason being that I very often fly close to known wifi networks and it's a faff to have to go in to settings > forget network. Especially if I don't remember forgotten network's password to enter it again later. Another reason is mapping. Another reason is live streaming. Another reason is keeping connected to the internet whilst flying (messages, etc. can get through). Another reason is connecting an external display (if you look at the CrystalSky display on the DJI website it states that Spark OTG compatibility is coming soon). Maybe range is affected, maybe not. Again, this is probably different for different environments. I'm guessing that it'll help me tremendously, since there is a lot of interference where I am and it can sometimes take a few minutes to find a 'quiet' zone. Pretty annoying to take off after you've already used a fair bit of battery, as I bet many of you know. One less radio (wifi) connection would surely be better for some people. No need to get agro about it if you don't personally see the benefit.

Reactions: Scobo
No - you do not understand the technicalities of DMS 5.8ghz channel allocation and restrictions in certain geographic locations with non DMS channel devices. This will restrict the RF link and force a 5.8ghz link between RC and aircraft meaning 2.4 must be used for the monitoring device.
By using OTG it is possible to circumvent this restriction and manually select 2.4ghz which gives greater EIRP together with better penetration of signal.
Also, because another RF link is taken out of the loop, the risk of swamping the front end of the RC receiver is minimized and an added benefit for many users is latency is much improved.
So no, it isn't BS. Please get your facts correct.
All right there techster. He was just sharing his opinion. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Reactions: RustyStainless
Strange, it is appearing on my screen and in your reply quote. It is a single image stored in the forum.

You posted it so it probably works from your point of view.

I don't see it ether.

This is what I (we) see?20171014_121739.png

Yup, same error message here.
It's a privacy setting issue. A job for tomorrow now.
Update: changed it to public. Can you see it now?
20171001_235647_rmscr.jpg

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the regulations in Australia (as with most other countries) require you to keep line of sight with the drone.
I can barely see the Spark at 400m, let alone 4km.
Actually, I have extreme difficulty seeing the Spark at 100m. But really, you need to be talking to DJI, and the other manufacturers, because they are promoting the capability of the Spark to travel at least 2km, the Mavic can travel up to 7km from the user, the Parrot Disco can travel 2km from the user. Why are these companies promoting this behaviour when, as you say, "the regulations in Australia (as with most other countries) require you to keep line of sight with the drone". You really need to get on to them.
As you once said Scobo: "If filming there is illegal, the law's a pile of sheeit !!!"
That's how I feel about the "keep it in sight" rule.

Why are these companies promoting this behaviour when, as you say, "the regulations in Australia (as with most other countries) require you to keep line of sight with the drone".

That's a fair point, especially when you consider the max allowed distance here in the UK is 500m.
Although, I'm not sure how well that argument would stand up in court ....

Hi All, Oliver from South Africa here. We also use CE standard here in SA, and my phone of choice is a Galaxy s7 and with that have been somewhat disappointed with the transmission range of around 40 meters before the warnings kick in... I have not gone beyond 150m at this stage (that was at a very remote area).. don't like flying without video feed...
Just a question if you don't mind.. Am I right in saying that the best version of the dji go app to use with android and OTG is 4.1.15? As beyond that you start not seeing relevant info such as gps satellite count and battery %?
4.1.22 without OTG seemed to improve things somewhat for me personally up to about 80m but then as soon as I phoned the spark towards me the errors appeared and the feed became wonky...
Those with OTG experience on Android... What happens when you turn the spark around to face you at larger distances??

If I'm not mistaken, the regulations in Australia (as with most other countries) require you to keep line of sight with the drone.
I can barely see the Spark at 400m, let alone 4km.
How about if you use binoculars? :D
'Line of sight' just refers to a straight line between the controller and bird. If you can't see it, that's not the end of the world (you won't find this wording in anything official, mind, but what kind of nerd keeps a drone within 100m?!), so long as there is nothing obstructing a radio signal. This is why the distance is severely limited when using wifi (app-only) vs. radio (controller).

How about if you use binoculars? :D
'Line of sight' just refers to a straight line between the controller and bird. If you can't see it, that's not the end of the world (you won't find this wording in anything official, mind, but what kind of nerd keeps a drone within 100m?!), so long as there is nothing obstructing a radio signal. This is why the distance is severely limited when using wifi (app-only) vs. radio (controller).
Since this is an international forum it would help if you mentioned what country you are referring to.
Line of sight in many countries is defined as direct visual unaided (with the exception of prescription corrective lenses) sight.
This is law in many aviation regulations appertaining to UAV operation.

Reactions: Vilco
Since this is an international forum it would help if you mentioned what country you are referring to.
Line of sight in many countries is defined as direct visual unaided (with the exception of prescription corrective lenses) sight.
This is law in many aviation regulations appertaining to UAV operation.
I was just going off the dictionary's definition tbh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef