Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looks like otg android is back and app download new app 4.2.16 587 Monday 21st May.

Just got another update on the app. Still 4.2.12, so another build?

Looks like it. Or, rather, the build that was supposed to be released. Someone earlier said that DJI said 4.2.12 had only been released for iOS and that the Android one was wrapping up development. So I wonder if the first posts of it were accidents. Or QA had some last-minute feedback.

Looks like it. Or, rather, the build that was supposed to be released. Someone earlier said that DJI said 4.2.12 had only been released for iOS and that the Android one was wrapping up development. So I wonder if the first posts of it were accidents. Or QA had some last-minute feedback.
Seems like us Android users are beta testing this app the ones that can download it and have used it. I had 2 app crashes and a compass error today the first 4.2.12 app I downloaded seemed better then I got another update last night this one seemed worse. Same spot I was flying from. Just got back and looked in the play store and there is another update. Will spend another 3 hours after work tomorrow.

Reactions: sebrandao
I was on 4.2.12 yesterday dated 4/18/2018 now it just updated again to 4.2.12 dated 4/19/2018. Not sure what they keep changing

Last edited:
For those of you that have tried v4.2.12 and the OTG cable on Android, can you still change WiFi spectrums? In other words can you choose the WiFi channel and switch between 2.4 and 5.8GHz?
Yes, I can. The range and channel as well.

Can you check your WiFi settings and see if you are able to change between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz with this new version? Another person on a different forum says that all the telemetry works now, but that they can't change WiFi spectrums.
Challel and Wifi range can be changed manually.

Tested my uk Samsung s8 last night on my wifi router if it works on 5.8 ghz and it does I don't see the setting in my phone WiFi setting so that I can change it from 2.4 to 5.8 ghz so I technically should be able to use wifi with rc to my phone in 5.8 ghz and remote to a.c. in 2.4 ghz.
Yesterday when I changed my setting in the go app 4.2.12 to 2.4 ghz and flew out the a.c. suddenly went in atti mode and gave me compass error can any experienced pilots tell me if that is why it happened?

Screenshot_20180419-202736_DU%20Recorder.jpg

Last edited:
That's exactly what I've done with my Nexus 7, set RC->AC to 2.4GHz and OTG for RC->Nexus.

I didn't have any problems other than one reboot of the Nexus the first time I linked everything together. I could have been a bad USB cable or sloppy connector.
No problems since.

Maybe your compass error could be power lines or something similar?

For me, ATTI mode isn't so scary once I have a good solid live video stream, which is what OTG gives us.
ATTI mode, broken up or no video, and the AC an almost invisible dot in the distance is a horrible thought.

EDIT: I don't get what you're saying about your router and 5GHz.
Android phones in the EU have limited access to the usual 5GHz channels.
This is why a lot of EU new Spark owners post saying that they can't connect to the Spark with their phone, as the phone can't see the 5GHz channel that the Spark chooses 'out of the box'.
The answer to that is to do the '3 beeps' power button press to reset the Spark to 2.4GHz.
Problem then, is that when you have the RC the phone connects to the RC using 2.4GHz and the RC connects to the Spark using 5GHz, which isn't optimal for best range.
That's why I would always prefer OTG, so that the phone to RC connection doesn't require a 2.4GHz channel, allowing 2.4GHz to be manually set for the RC>Spark.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I've done with my Nexus 7, set RC->AC to 2.4GHz and OTG for RC->Nexus.

I didn't have any problems other than one reboot of the Nexus the first time I linked everything together. I could have been a bad USB cable or sloppy connector.
No problems since.

For me, ATTI mode isn't so scary once I have a good solid live video stream, which is what OTG gives us.
ATTI mode, broken up or no video, and the AC an almost invisible dot in the distance is a horrible thought.

This is why a lot of EU new Spark owners post saying that they can't connect to the Spark with their phone, as the phone can't see the 5GHz channel that the Spark chooses 'out of the box'.
The answer to that is to do the '3 beeps' power button press to reset the Spark to 2.4GHz.
Problem then, is that when you have the RC the phone connects to the RC using 2.4GHz and the RC connects to the Spark using 5GHz, which isn't optimal for best range.
That's why I would always prefer OTG, so that the phone to RC connection doesn't require a 2.4GHz channel, allowing 2.4GHz to be manually set for the RC>Spark.
Well explained...

Reactions: Gavieboydgi

No problems since.

I was just testing my European Samsung s8 worked on 5.8 ghz on my router. So when I come to use the Spark in 5.8 ghz to my phone I know it should by theory it should work. I was hoping anyway. I don't have the setting in my WiFi advance to use 5.8 in my phone but it works for some reason.

Last nite Playstore was showing 4.2.8. So I downloaded and then side loaded 4.2.12 (Thanks Gavieboydgi).

Install went fine. After starting and connecting when opening, DGI GO got message, Firmware update Required. Current firmware too old to use OTG.

So updated firmware to 900. Had some trouble reconnecting RC but after reset (hold power button for 9 seconds) connected OK!

Restarted RC, restarted Spark, connected OK, restarted phone, DJI GO, connected OTG, ALL good!

Did takeoff and short indoor flight and telemetry was all working fine.

It was late so just a short outdoor flight 200 feet or so, all still fine.

Tried RTH and got a message Use Current or Original, I hit cancel because I was a tight place and was not sure what the message meant. So landed manually.

Also did not have Map. WiFi was off on phone and it does not have SIM card so no Cellular.

Downloaded off-line maps and will retry this weekend.

Phone is Samsung S5 ACTIVE.

In Wisconsin USA

New update on android

Here's the APK for the new app as well if it hasn't shown up on your market it's from my Google drive so safe to download.

dji go new app 4.2.12

View attachment 4512

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I can confirm OTG is working properly for me with altitude and distance.
My setup:
Phone: Android 7.0, LG V20
DJI GO 4: I had version 4.2.8, but was able to sideload with the 4.2.12 APK from Gavieboydgi
OTG: RC to OTG to Micro USB to USB Type-C Adapter

Went flying for 4 hours today using the new 4.2.12 app with the Samsung galaxy s8 Android version Oreo With OTG and on 5.8 ghz didnt have any app crashes or any problems it was absolutely faultless brilliant days flying with the Spark here is from one of my flights out from my local park over heavily WiFi populated areas spark didn't have one disconnection or any interference.

20180421_193251.jpg

dji1524322596491.jpg

20180421_194019.jpg

org_1f991632e75ef964_1524320360000.jpg

dji1524322596109.jpg

Attachments

• org_f9c7e0f0838205be_1524320372000.jpg
    org_f9c7e0f0838205be_1524320372000.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: genchau
And my app has gone back to the 4.2.8 version again in the google play store, this is the fourth time. What is dji doing I have updated mine 3 times this next one Will be the forth for the 4.2.12 app. I haven't noticed any changes every new update.

I'm not getting OTG to work with 4.2.12. It won't show Connected. But, it doesn't try to charge the controller as if the phone is a battery, so something's different. Phone is a Motorola Moto E4 Plus running Nougat 7.1.1. I bought the cable from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018M8YEX0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've read the thread and it seems I just need to hook up the cable. Notice in the pic one end is labeled as Host. I have tried putting that end in the controller. No joy. Reversed the cable and it still doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_152728780.jpg
    IMG_20180421_152728780.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis