Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flyaways - How does DJI handle? Lost Drone

Ben Chapman

Join
Oct 25, 2017
One minute into a flight errors started popping up and drone would not respond to controls, tried RTH numerous times. Data said it went 63 mph?? It shot off like a rocket.

It changed modes several times but the only command I gave was RTH, at last location it was 128ft up and had 65% battery so it could be anywhere, I looked for it for days.

I have a case open with DJI, but without a drone I am probally SOL?

Had 52 flights with the spark, undecided if I will replace.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

If you don't have the physical, even dead drone, you are SOL, DJI won't warranty that.

If you can find the dead unit, and the logs verify something went wrong, you have a chance.

That said, looking at your logs:

1-You had a compass error at 8s, right after takeoff. You either ignored it, or didnt see it, and proceeded to start flying.

2-At 1 minute, the compass error reappeared, and this time stuck around. In the next minute you went from 11ft to 161ft altitude, clearly ignoring what would now be a persistent warning on your screen.
DJI will probably tell you pilot error, since you continued to fly despite on screen errors.

3- I'm not sure how 63mph was achieved, I can only think this is a GPS glitch.

Had you landed and did troubleshooting after the warning became persistent, you would at least have a drone to submit. Compass errors need to be addressed immediately, as the Spark has no redundancy. If it goes wrong, everything goes wrong. When DJI denies you, you can pose questions on how it achieved a speed double what it is supposed to do, and maybe you will get something. Their support is not very communicative, so be on top of them if you truly think you were wronged. But in the mean time....find that drone!

We looked for days, at the last known coordinate it was at 128 ft up and had 65% battery so it could be anywhere. I am not in that State right now.

Many lessons learned, get a info tag on new drone, gps tag on new drone, any error land it. Over 50 flights without any major issues

At one minute I no longer had control, I talked to a person that saw it go by and they said it was flying canted at an angle and very fast.

Do I get another spark or the next new one that comes out? Undecided

I think you had bigger issues - noticed your battery was 108F. Not good. What was the OAT where you were flying at?

Please keep us updated. This is extremely important to any Spark pilot. But I gotta tell you, 50 + successful flights vs 1 “ unsure who’s to blame “ flight, kinda says why should I not buy another one.

Please keep us updated. This is extremely important to any Spark pilot. But I gotta tell you, 50 + successful flights vs 1 “ unsure who’s to blame “ flight, kinda says why should I not buy another one.
The battery issue is intersting it shot up at takeoff and at 3 minutes of flight it was at 110 degrees

As a new pilot, battery temperatures are interesting to me. They seems to have a range. Most guidance I've seen lately talks about how to keep them warm by putting them in your coat etc. However, I live in Phoenix. How do you keep them cool when it's 115 degrees in July?

As a new pilot, battery temperatures are interesting to me. They seems to have a range. Most guidance I've seen lately talks about how to keep them warm by putting them in your coat etc. However, I live in Phoenix. How do you keep them cool when it's 115 degrees in July?
DJI shows the operating range of the Spark (like all of their other products) to be from 32F - 104F

The battery thing is something I hadn't considered, perhaps it was faulty, and overheated, which caused the errors? No idea.

OP, if you are looking at another one, I'd suggest upgrading to Mavic Air, as it has redundant sensors. This should filter out just about all issues related to compass interference.

This is the kind of attitude that does nobody any good. Just be thankful you haven't lost your drone yet "pilot".

Sent from my SM-G950U using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

They have a point though. Guy ignored the warning messages then flew anyway. Spark has a bad rep because of people like that.

Well if you don't learn to fly correctly, save your money [emoji44] hey I have a one month old Spark that I haven't flown since my Mavic Air arrived. I'm looking for someone to give it to. View attachment 3643
My little boy would love to have that spark, I have a air my self I got as a gift and he is so jealous he wants one or a spark so bad, he's 12 and he's smart as a whistle! You would make his day! Thanks & God Bless!

One minute into a flight errors started popping up and drone would not respond to controls, tried RTH numerous times. Data said it went 63 mph?? It shot off like a rocket.

It changed modes several times but the only command I gave was RTH, at last location it was 128ft up and had 65% battery so it could be anywhere, I looked for it for days.

I have a case open with DJI, but without a drone I am probally SOL?

Had 52 flights with the spark, undecided if I will replace.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
Sang man I feel ya, sorry you lost your drone, don't listen to everyone on here bro, some people just don't get it, they are lucky to still have their drones, these days it's not really safe to fly drones anywhere almost, the way technology is popping up people who don't like drones everywhere are gonna start having antennas put on their houses and buildings that jam drones signals that will cause any drone that comes near those buildings and house to fly away instantly!!! Sorry this happened to you again, hope you find it and get it sorted out!!

You dont fly if it is over the max rated temperature for the drone.

Reactions: Andy Starnes
99% of all drone fly aways are pilot errors. Clearly this one was. Other people can learn from this.

Actually you are wrong, having flown many drones and this Spark 57 times and this was only error. DJI reiewed all of my flight logs to including this one and concluded that this was a manufaturer defect covered under warranty.

"Thanks for your patience. For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis result. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Spark(Lava Red) without remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store."

So may people on this forum make assumptions and consider themselves experts, I have been flying drones for years. The battery malfuntioned causing the problem and then some other issues occured. I had zero control after 1 minute. I saw the warnings but had zero control over drone.

I am always learning new things and will apply them as I go.

Actually you are wrong, having flown many drones and this Spark 57 times and this was only error. DJI reiewed all of my flight logs to including this one and concluded that this was a manufaturer defect covered under warranty.

"Thanks for your patience. For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis result. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Spark(Lava Red) without remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store."

So may people on this forum make assumptions and consider themselves experts, I have been flying drones for years. The battery malfuntioned causing the problem and then some other issues occured. I had zero control after 1 minute. I saw the warnings but had zero control over drone.

I am always learning new things and will apply them as I go.
Yeah don't listen to these so called experts on here when half of them only own one freaking drone, they don't know junk about junk! I can't stand these kinds of people!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh