Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looks like otg android is back and app download new app 4.2.16 587 Monday 21st May.

Bit of a coincidence they change description in the Play Store and then you get reduced distance Gavie? They can't have removed OTG support again without an update could they?

I took my Spark out since the 577 build update in an area that is not too populated. With OTG, I managed to get over 1000 meters before I 'chicken' out and came back home. Furthermore, this is in CE mode (I still can't get FCC mode to work). Video was stable and no loss of transmission. Now I need to find out how to stop the auto update of DJI GO 4 for Android.

Folks, Spark is my first drone and I've bought it just over a month ago, so I had always been on 4.2.8 and had always experienced transmission loss etc. With 4.2.12 577 build, today (at least) it feels like a new machine. I'm much more confident flying it and that is what I (and everyone else) had bought into when buying the Spark. Now I know why there are so much interest and call outs for OTG to work rather than wifi for the Spark.

I also understand why we need to download maps for offline use... No wifi (dah!).

Sorry to hear Gavie is having problems. Hope there is something logical and easy fix.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
Go to Google Play Store, search DJI-Go 4 that you have installed. Top right corner are 3 dots, tap them you'll see a check box for Auto-update. Uncheck this, and it won't auto-update.
I took my Spark out since the 577 build update in an area that is not too populated. With OTG, I managed to get over 1000 meters before I 'chicken' out and came back home. Furthermore, this is in CE mode (I still can't get FCC mode to work). Video was stable and no loss of transmission. Now I need to find out how to stop the auto update of DJI GO 4 for Android.

Folks, Spark is my first drone and I've bought it just over a month ago, so I had always been on 4.2.8 and had always experienced transmission loss etc. With 4.2.12 577 build, today (at least) it feels like a new machine. I'm much more confident flying it and that is what I (and everyone else) had bought into when buying the Spark. Now I know why there are so much interest and call outs for OTG to work rather than wifi for the Spark.

I also understand why we need to download maps for offline use... No wifi (dah!).

Sorry to hear Gavie is having problems. Hope there is something logical and easy fix.

Go to Google Play Store, search DJI-Go 4 that you have installed. Top right corner are 3 dots, tap them you'll see a check box for Auto-update. Uncheck this, and it won't auto-update.
Thanks Liamski for the instructions. Upgrade turned off.

Bit of a coincidence they change description in the Play Store and then you get reduced distance Gavie? They can't have removed OTG support again without an update could they?
No otg still works but 577 update is back to horrible when you use otg especially on the s8 don't know about any other devices.

I will figure it out I always do in the end I'm always messing about with the Sparks software and the app I've probably switched something wrong when messing with my phone.

I totally reset and wiped my s8 last night I've needed to do it for about half a year to much rubbish and app's installed.

I'm going testing later again the 4.2.12 577 and see if my new clean Samsung galaxy s8 Android version Oreo works should be smooth as butter the video feed.

I'm using Samsung S7 Edge, but am considering using an old phone just for flying.

I live at the top end of a 'cul-de-sac' or dead end road. The end of the road is adjacent to a vast bushland. I would need to fly past many houses, before it gets to the bushland. Via CE mode, I flew in Sports Mode to get to the end of the road and change to P-mode. It is over the bushland, I manage to achieve over 1000 meters with no interference.

Gavie, apart from the S8, is the area you flew over had any interferences? Did you manage to clear cache you mentioned earlier?

I'm using Samsung S7 Edge, but am considering using an old phone just for flying.

I live at the top end of a 'cul-de-sac' or dead end road. The end of the road is adjacent to a vast bushland. I would need to fly past many houses, before it gets to the bushland. Via CE mode, I flew in Sports Mode to get to the end of the road and change to P-mode. It is over the bushland, I manage to achieve over 1000 meters with no interference.

Gavie, apart from the S8, is the area you flew over had any interferences? Did you manage to clear cache you mentioned earlier?
Yes I totally reset and wiped my s8 phone last night
And I was in open fields and the video feed was that bad I had to land straight away 200 feet away from myself and walk to the drone. It was that bad the lag about 3 seconds delay after I press the sticks that's why I landed because it was impossible to fly and unsafe so landed where I was in pitch dark [emoji16]

I have it in auto in WiFi settings and It's like it's not automatically switching channel's when it encounters high interference. That's what I'm thinking.

Can confirm OTG working great on Samsung Active 8, running oreo. All displays are reading correctly, H/V/D, including battery readouts. Video feed is amazing. About freaking time, DJI! I feel like
I have a new Spark again. :)

So, I just took my Spark out for an actual flight last night with 4.2.12 (coming from 4.1.15) I got out about 1900 feet and lost connection, I have went the same exact route as last night, and was able to get out to 3000+ feet, also at the time I lost connection, I got a "High wind velocity" warning could that have anything to do with the lost connection?

I think in 'general' 4.2.12 (577 build) is better am I right? My first version was 4.2.8 and that was horrible.

With 4.2.12, (build 577, OTG and CE mode) I took it out yesterday to a National Park where there were no interferences and very little wind. Put it on Sports mode and flew out just shy of 2500 meters at times @ 50kph (according to the log). It lost connection, no video and I thought the app froze. I panic and press the back button, the App went to the prev screen (where the Go Fly option is) and than I heard the Go Home sound (which I usually hate, but this time was very welcomed). At around 2200+ meters away, I was able to re-establish connection and video. The Spark, flew back at around 30+ kph (now I know Sports mode is faster than RTH) speed and finallyed landed with just 8% battery left. Whew!

I think, I'll stop pushing the Spark's limits. I'll just go back and concentrate on photography/video short distance away.

Well, I think it's not about getting as far away as possible with the spark (at least not for me). All I want is that I can control it decent enough in a 300-400m radius without having to rage about a lagging video stream and controls.

That is true. I was having such bad experiences with 4.2.8, I'd just let is rip on 4.2.12.

You are right in that I should now concentrate on just flying nearby taking pictures and videos with litle or no interferences.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis