Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

AutoPilot and the Spark

I wonder if it has anything to do with running multiple missions without a break? If you have a program that's not extensively tested for users doing something different than what's expected, then bugs may show up under certain circumstances.

But who knows. Do they have tech support for AP?
I sent my story in to their tech support and got an very fast reply in plain English too. They said, yes, they have seen the "stuck joystick" happen and are not sure why yet. Then they added that if you flip the switch to sport mode, you will immediately regain control... I didn't think of that at the time, but if it happens again....

They also want me to upload the flight logs, so I did. We'll see if they have anything further to say.

Reactions: AndyN
Can Autopilot be used without RC? I’d like to do Active Track when out running. Would be nice if could do it Phone only.
Yes, you can use autopilot with your phone connected directly to the Spark´s wifi very much like you can use the DJI go app connected to the spark directly. Just be careful for the range of your Autoflight plan to be within the limited range of the phone-to-spark wifi range.

I have read about Autopilot and especially this thread is very interesting. As I run an Android phone I know that it was a no option for me. But yesterday I managed to put my hands on an iPhone. It was said to be an iPhone 6, but after factory reseting it turned out to be 5S instead. Is also this model usable? It has GPS but no barometer

The 5s IS on the list of compatible devices but it is in the legacy sections so it should work but may be borderline at time. I use a Ipad Mini 4 with No GPS and it works pretty good. I also use my Iphone SE and that is definitely better. Scroll to the bottom of this link to see the list.

Autopilot - Hangar

The 5s IS on the list of compatible devices but it is in the legacy sections so it should work but may be borderline at time. I use a Ipad Mini 4 with No GPS and it works pretty good. I also use my Iphone SE and that is definitely better. Scroll to the bottom of this link to see the list.

Autopilot - Hangar
Thanks for that info. I read it as it is better to have GPS than barometer if you only have one of these features. Both SE snd 5 have GPS and your videos earlier in this thread looks very capable, so I think it will work out with my iPone 5S.

Here is one difference. My Mini has no gps but the SE does. I can set up a mission on the MIni while at home and connected to the internet, then go out and fly it and it works near perfect for standard missions.... waypoints, orbits, zips, etc. BUT if I try to use it to do a "follow me" type mission, it is not very accurate. The camera may not point just right, and the AC may wander a small amount. Using the SE for the same "follow me" type mission results in a near perfect mission every time. The DJI program fails on a "follow me" mission if there is any obstruction between the target and the AC because the DJI program seems to rely heavily on the visual image of the target. (To be fair to DJI, I was using the "operator" as the target in the AP missions...so the AC was following the device, not an image.)

Thanks for that info. I read it as it is better to have GPS than barometer if you only have one of these features. Both SE snd 5 have GPS and your videos earlier in this thread looks very capable, so I think it will work out with my iPone 5S.

There is a difference in processors.... the 5s has the A7 processor, the Mini 4 has the A8 processor, and the SE has the A9 processor. So, I would expect the 5s to perform a little less effectively than the Mini 4....but they say it will work.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
They need to bring this app over to Android only for certain devices though.

Any more tests with scenario when AP/RC looses contact with AC? is it even possible to "continue mission" on disconnect or will it simply stop and hoover?

I made an overlayed video of a couple of missions running twice to figure out how precise / repeatable are the waypoints.

(Same mission recorded and played overlayed)

Not perfect, but very accurate for a consumer level product:

Reactions: AndyN
My concern is in a case where signal is lost, the AP will disengage AC mission, but imagine it hovering 100m up in the air, far away from your "home point". Where it is hard or even impossible to get it. Over a lake/water for example! An automated RTH would be a welcome function!

Even in hover, if no connection, Spark will start RTH on critical battery.

Any more tests with scenario when AP/RC looses contact with AC? is it even possible to "continue mission" on disconnect or will it simply stop and hoover?

Continue missions are simply not supported on Spark. The AC Ned’s to bike able to receive the mission and process it internally.... spark dos not have that capability

Even though, the AP engine has way more options than Mavic continued missions, for me, the main missing is the ability to change speed within the mission.

I made an overlayed video of a couple of missions running twice to figure out how precise / repeatable are the waypoints.

(Same mission recorded and played overlayed)

Not perfect, but very accurate for a consumer level product:

Maby wind is a factor that makes the positioning a few centimeters off at times?

Interresting result however. Would be interresting to do the same mission and compare Litchi and Autopilot!

I must be stupid but when setting exposure values, how can I set manual ISO? I only see shutter speed?!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh