Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

4.1.22 and Spark without OTG Cable

So literally just 15 minutes ago found the 4.2.4 update to DJI GO4 app for Android, updated it, powered up the Spark, controller, etc. Shut off the mobile device WIFI and plugged the OTG cable into the controller when it went green. Video feed just fine but ABSOLUTELY no telemetry. Then I side-swiped a tree limb by my driveway and took out 2 propellers! Lol! Does not appear that there is any telemetry support for the Spark using OTG. It would be nice if DJI would consider it in yet another update to the app.

So literally just 15 minutes ago found the 4.2.4 update to DJI GO4 app for Android, updated it, powered up the Spark, controller, etc. Shut off the mobile device WIFI and plugged the OTG cable into the controller when it went green. Video feed just fine but ABSOLUTELY no telemetry. Then I side-swiped a tree limb by my driveway and took out 2 propellers! Lol! Does not appear that there is any telemetry support for the Spark using OTG. It would be nice if DJI would consider it in yet another update to the app.
Thanks for confirming. Have you tried without OTG? I'm hearing that connection wise it has been a better experience and more stable? Not sure though.

Well as I said I skimmed a tree branch on the way out the driveway but I will fly a bit later on today. If I note anything of significance I will definitely post it up here for all.

Have not yet been asked to upgrade here in Brazil. Anxious to find out if the OTG issue has really been addressed, at least for IOS. Bought a mini 4 just for flying.

Have not yet been asked to upgrade here in Brazil. Anxious to find out if the OTG issue has really been addressed, at least for IOS. Bought a mini 4 just for flying.
It's been confirmed that for iOS that OTG definitely works.

Ok had a flight tonight guys OTG connected in to ipad mini 2 latest app and everything worked as it should BUT BIG BUT... The Telemetery was out at times ...ie the height said i was about 10m then 1.2m at what i would say 30 meters high.....
A bit worrying to me....
What would it do on RTH...

Back to wifi for me ..Did not see that on wifi the night before

Ok several weeks have passed and I'm now seeing YouTube videos of people stating that is has been stable using 4.1.22 without an OTG cable. Is this the case for folks here as well? Are you guys experiencing or converting to not using the OTG cable? Basically is it truly stable?

I haven't gotten a chance to fly my Spark with 4.1.22 nor 4.1.15 since I have installed/downgraded due to winter weather.

I'm just curious since time has passed whether people are now accepting the non use of the OTG cable and above all getting good results.

I switched to $90 Samsung tablet; better image, no latentcy at all.

In the UK I had been flying with OTG and 2.4G between AC and RC since i bought my Spark last year and everything was stable and distances were reasonable - I mean at least 600m without any problems, which was far enough for my needs.

Since DJI Go 4 stopped supporting the OTG cable I had to switch to using the default 5.8G wifi between AC and RC and omg it's awful. Constant glitching of video and total lost signal at only 200m distance, 50m altitude. Fortunately RTH worked fine but 200m is embarassing for a £400 drone. I bought a parabolic range enhancer but yet to test if it makes any difference. Maybe 250m instead of 200? :-/. It's frustrating to see how powerful 5.8G transmission is in the US. I wish I had known - I would have saved up for a Mavic Pro.

I keep hearing about switching the WiFi from 5.8 to 2.4 how do you do this and which is better. I have been able to use the otg cable.

I keep hearing about switching the WiFi from 5.8 to 2.4 how do you do this and which is better. I have been able to use the otg cable.
In the DJI Go 4 app under Image Transmission Settings (via the HD 'button') you can change the wifi channel. This refers to the wifi channel between the aircraft and the controller. By default it uses 5.8G because that is far more powerful than 2.4G in the US under FCC regulation. In Europe under CE regulation, 5.8G is much weaker than 2.4G so it's best to switch. You do this by tapping on one of the low channel numbers (i.e. 1 to 12) and applying the change. The wifi restarts, controller light goes red and then green again, and your controller will be talking to the aircraft on 2.4G instead of 5.8G.

Normally, without OTG cable, the phone <-> controller wifi is the opposite band to the one used by the aircraft. So if you switch AC<->RC to 2.4G, then phone<->RC changes to 5.8G. However the 5.8G channels it uses are inaccessible for android phones in Europe, hence the need for an OTG cable to do this. Sadly, the OTG method is also currently broken for android phones, so in Europe we're left with the choice of buying an iPhone, using the very weak 5.8G signal with limited range, reverting to an earlier 4.1.15 version of DJI Go 4, or waiting patiently for a fix that may never come...

Hope this helps. TL;DR If you're in the US or using iOS, you're fine. Android in Europe, not so much.

I use Android.
I must say , Spark wi-fi has let me down. Using 4.2.4 now , a brand new Crystal Sky 5.5.
I have been flying for over a year, same location, Phantom,Mavic Pro and Spark. No wi-fi problems to speak of.
Was using OTG until 4.1.15 was updated. No problem visuals, and good range. Parabolic antennas do help, but I would like to see
OTG availability return.
With my Crystal Sky they show a OTG to be used with the Spark.
I tried, it does not work. Contacted DJI, they advise that Spark is wi-fi ONLY. (at least for now)
Disappointed!

Ok several weeks have passed and I'm now seeing YouTube videos of people stating that is has been stable using 4.1.22 without an OTG cable. Is this the case for folks here as well? Are you guys experiencing or converting to not using the OTG cable? Basically is it truly stable?

I haven't gotten a chance to fly my Spark with 4.1.22 nor 4.1.15 since I have installed/downgraded due to winter weather.

I'm just curious since time has passed whether people are now accepting the non use of the OTG cable and above all getting good results.
I brought the Spark out after a couple of months non use and updated. To my surprise, the connection on my Android device works just fine without the OTG. But keep in mine, I fly pretty close to the ground, although I took it up about 100 feet with no problem but a slight delay in signal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef