Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG cable - what's the deal?

JS1500

Join
Dec 23, 2018
I got my Spark a few weeks ago, and I purchased the OTG cable to use with my iPhone. Since then it has been working well. However, today I saw some comments online about some software updates that essentially made the OTG cable option not viable/less effective than it used to be at some point in time. I'm just confused because I have been able to fly using the OTG cable. Can someone help me better understand the situation?

I got my Spark a few weeks ago, and I purchased the OTG cable to use with my iPhone. Since then it has been working well. However, today I saw some comments online about some software updates that essentially made the OTG cable option not viable/less effective than it used to be at some point in time. I'm just confused because I have been able to fly using the OTG cable. Can someone help me better understand the situation?

The best thing about tech forums is the crowd-sourced info that's constantly updated.

The worst thing is the old, outdated information that never gets deleted or updated.

OTG works fine with iPhone for about the last 6 months. If you check the date on the posts that say otherwise they are probably older than that (or related to a small number of Android devices with persistent issues).

Truly amazing the amount of confusion those old posts still generate. Especially when it's working fine on your end!

The best thing about tech forums is the crowd-sourced info that's constantly updated.

The worst thing is the old, outdated information that never gets deleted or updated.

OTG works fine with iPhone for about the last 6 months. If you check the date on the posts that say otherwise they are probably older than that (or related to a small number of Android devices with persistent issues).

Truly amazing the amount of confusion those old posts still generate. Especially when it's working fine on your end!

The dates on all of those posts were from around a year ago, so I figured it was outdated information. Thanks for clarifying!

Reactions: charliespark
If I ain't broke don't fix it. A lot of the software upgrades have in fact caused more problems than fixes. The otg cable is a direct link to the controller and is way better than wifi. It's like having 2 printers in your home one on wifi and the other wired to your pc, which one do you think will be faster and more reliable obviously the wired one. I don't do software updates from dji because both my drones fly well. The dji updates tend to fix one issue but cause other issues, if your drone is working well, don't chance an update.

If I ain't broke don't fix it. A lot of the software upgrades have in fact caused more problems than fixes. The otg cable is a direct link to the controller and is way better than wifi. It's like having 2 printers in your home one on wifi and the other wired to your pc, which one do you think will be faster and more reliable obviously the wired one. I don't do software updates from dji because both my drones fly well. The dji updates tend to fix one issue but cause other issues, if your drone is working well, don't chance an update.

But I update all 4 of my drones religiously -- and they all work fine.

It is the nature of software to always be "broken" - and always be in need of fixing (in the form of updates). Perfectly written code is something we engineers strive for but recognize is unattainable.

The path is to the future is not a straight line but there is no benefit to spreading fear of the process. That's how we've come so far in such a short time!

But I update all 4 of my drones religiously -- and they all work fine.

It is the nature of software to always be "broken" - and always be in need of fixing (in the form of updates). Perfectly written code is something we engineers strive for but recognize is unattainable.

The path is to the future is not a straight line but there is no benefit to spreading fear of the process. That's how we've come so far in such a short time!
I will agree, but again if it ain't broke don't fix it. You can tell me that the very first time you do an updatell and all of your drones don't work properly.

I will agree, but again if it ain't broke don't fix it. You can tell me that the very first time you do an updatell and all of your drones don't work properly.

We just have different expectations...

I expect technology to improve over time --but not not necessarily every time.

We had to blow up quite a few rockets to get to the moon. Even ones that weren't "broke"

Reactions: KevinRussell

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast