Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG question

shegeek72

Join
Apr 20, 2018
I've been reading as much as I can about using an OTG cable instead of wifi for connecting the Spark to an Android smartphone to stop video feed lag. It appears it works for some and makes an improvement. I've also read that DJI disabled OTG pairing in the latest version of the DJI go 4 app. So I emailed DJI support and got this response:

Subject: OTG cable
Message: Has DJI disabled OTG connection between RC and android smartphone in DJI go 4?

"We appreciate your time bringing this to our attention and for letting us know about your concern. We do understand that you do have question about the OTG connection between the Spark's remote and android smartphone in DJI go 4. . We've confirmed that this function has not been fully tested and verified yet, so it would be normal you will be experiencing error or functionality issues. That being said, better if you can connect the Spark RC and android smartphone through Wi-Fi. Sorry for the inconvenience, we are looking into this and hope to provide a (firmware) update soon to address this."

Reading between the lines indicates DJI has not disabled OTG for Android, nor enabled it. I cannot get my OTG connection to work. This is the OTG cable I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JQ7BQ5/

Here are the steps I took. Powered up Spark and RC, disabled wifi, connected OTG cable from RC to Android phone (Blu Studio G2), started DJI Go 4 (I don't know what version I was using since the app would not let me reconnect via wifi even after rebooting phone and restarting app, requiring uninstalling and reinstalling Go 4 app). Ran through the menu for connecting via a wired connection, froze on last step and would not connect.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the only thing that connecting the OTG cable did was charge the RC.

If you're currently using an OTG cable with an Android device what steps did you take? What version of the app are you using?

Last edited:
I'm using 4.1.15, and it works perfect. As for the steps, search of your friend, this had been discussed a few times

I have version 4.2.16 on a ZTE Zmax pro. I'm using an OTG cable (bought from Fry's) with no problems. Quite the opposite, it fixed all my lagging problems! Just gotta make sure you get the host and client sides of the cable right or it won't work

Oh, just noticed the comment about it only charging. You probably had it backwards. The micro USB end of the OTG cable plugs into the RC.

As above, make sure the correct end of the cable is connected to the RC...Also, you may have to enable the phone to use the USB connection for anything other than charging

Thanks for the tips! Will try them. Has anyone had to reinstall the DJI go 4 app after using a OTG, then trying to switch back to wifi?

I have a side question about OTG that might fit into this topic, I did a search and could not find a specfic answer..... Long time before I got into drones, I puchased an Apple lighting to usb connector... I think they called it a camera cable or some such thing.... I tried to set it up as an OTG link yesterday, but instead of Accessory Unsupported, it appeared to give an error more like "Connected device requires too much power" and of course Go still says disconnected, no matter which sequence of connections/power-ons I try. I have ordered https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074PMMSQR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as it was recommended by someone else here or on the DJI forum.

Just wondering if that apple cable is actually NOT really OTG? Anyone had that experience? Thx

I never had problems with the otg cable using dji go 4 app.
I put the spark on then the controller then starting the app and then i put the cable in the controller.
(using android)

I've been reading as much as I can about using an OTG cable instead of wifi for connecting the Spark to an Android smartphone to stop video feed lag. It appears it works for some and makes an improvement. I've also read that DJI disabled OTG pairing in the latest version of the DJI go 4 app. So I emailed DJI support and got this response:

Message: Has DJI disabled OTG connection between RC and android smartphone in DJI go 4?

"We appreciate your time bringing this to our attention and for letting us know about your concern. We do understand that you do have question about the OTG connection between the Spark's remote and android smartphone in DJI go 4. . We've confirmed that this function has not been fully tested and verified yet, so it would be normal you will be experiencing error or functionality issues. That being said, better if you can connect the Spark RC and android smartphone through Wi-Fi. Sorry for the inconvenience, we are looking into this and hope to provide a (firmware) update soon to address this."

Reading between the lines indicates DJI has not disabled OTG for Android, nor enabled it. I cannot get my OTG connection to work. This is the OTG cable I ordered:

Here are the steps I took. Powered up Spark and RC, disabled wifi, connected OTG cable from RC to Android phone (Blu Studio G2), started DJI Go 4 (I don't know what version I was using since the app would not let me reconnect via wifi even after rebooting phone and restarting app, requiring uninstalling and reinstalling Go 4 app). Ran through the menu for connecting via a wired connection, froze on last step and would not connect.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the only thing that connecting the OTG cable did was charge the RC.

If you're currently using an OTG cable with an Android device what steps did you take? What version of the app are you using?
If you use a dongle from the remote then cable from the dongle to the phone or tablet it works 100 percent. You can turn off WiFi completely. Drone Valley has all the cables for both Android or iOS. I just put my note 8 in airplane mode and fly away [emoji1]

I think DJI does not support (and does not support it either ago) using OTG because it is designed for its own monitor (crystalsky).
Probably someone accidentally found out, and this connection method is widespread on the internet.
Therefore, it does not work with all devices. Due to the widespread use, it may be encrypted to send the data and that's why only your own monitor will understand it.

Since it has never been officially OTG, the DJI can not be blamed if it does not work ...

A GO app. 4:15. it works for me with a Huawei T3 7 "tablet.

I think DJI does not support (and does not support it either ago) using OTG because it is designed for its own monitor (crystalsky).
Probably someone accidentally found out, and this connection method is widespread on the internet.
Therefore, it does not work with all devices. Due to the widespread use, it may be encrypted to send the data and that's why only your own monitor will understand it.

Since it has never been officially OTG, the DJI can not be blamed if it does not work ...

A GO app. 4:15. it works for me with a Huawei T3 7 "tablet.

I have the exact same arrangement and it works fine. In fact, as soon as I plug in the OTG to the RC, GO4 starts up automatically. Zero problems, runs great.

I use 4.2.16 with Samsung 7 and my Samsung 10 tablet. Works perfectly.

Ensuring the correct end of the OTG is connected to the phone is essential. I figured this out after much toil and head scratching, its works everytime now. Stick a bit of tape on the phone end so you know for future flights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis