Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

107 test stuff

anpickard

Join
Jul 8, 2018
Should I aim to take the 107 or not? I only have a spark so not really sure if it would be possible to "pay off" in the end. Thoughts?

In my opinion, as much as I like my Spark and think that it takes pretty good pictures, I don't think that it is good enough to support a full-blown commercial drone service.

Having said that, getting a Part 107 certification isn't a bad idea if you think that you might expand to other drones.

Reactions: Fiete
Keep in mind, every two years you have to pony up another $150 to retest.

Pass or Fail.

Fly more places.
A Part 107 certificate does not allow you to "fly more places". In fact, in some ways it can be more restrictive. For example, a hobby/recreation flyer needs only to contact the airport when flying within 5 miles. They don't need authorization (except for Class B airspace) whereas a Part 107 pilot needs authorization or a wavier from the FAA to fly in controlled airspace.

A Part 107 certificate does make it somewhat easier in dealing with small airports that don't have controlled airspace. The Part 107 pilot is not required to contact those airports.

Reactions: Hddeuce03
Not if there is LAANC in your local airports, then you could fly in your back yard anytime you want too in just a few minutes without having to talk to 2 dozen airport officials everytime you wanted to fly.

The 107 isn’t a waste of time. Legally not getting one is a waste of time. To publish in any way commercial or recreational images requires you to be commercial. FB, Youtube, and websites means a 107.

The 107 isn’t a waste of time. Legally not getting one is a waste of time. To publish in any way commercial or recreational images requires you to be commercial. FB, Youtube, and websites means a 107.
You wanna show us just where you are getting this info that states a recreational flyer has to have a 107 to post video?? I am calling a big BS on that one until you prove it!!!

Reactions: Hddeuce03
This is incorrect. Posting to Facebook and YouTube does not equal commercial.

Wrong. It does. Youtube and FB generate monies by likes and shares. That is considered commercial gain. Contact Traverse legal who are our attorneys for our aerial op. We have had a FAA letter in the past because of this type of situation.
Our local FSDO (Flight Safety District Office), if you know what one is, Robert Lacourse, can educate you possible on safety and commercial operation. This is our WNY office.

PS. Are they going to catch everyone?, probably not. According to him that is how they monitor safety first. They look at social media, just like any investigative entity does.

Last edited:
Wrong. It does. Youtube and FB generate monies by likes and shares. That is considered commercial gain. Contact Traverse legal who are our attorneys for our aerial op. We have had a FAA letter in the past because of this type of situation.
Our local FSDO (Flight Safety District Office), if you know what one is, Robert Lacourse, can educate you possible on safety and commercial operation. This is our WNY office.

PS. Are they going to catch everyone?, probably not. According to him that is how they monitor safety first. They look at social media, just like any investigative entity does.

Like I said earlier prove it....show us in writing.

Maybe you should prove you can pass the 107. Commercial operators have to, and some are getting frustrated because of illegal operators. I don't have to prove squat. I know what we went through. Just keep operating illegally and don't get caught.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast