Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Trump signs bill reinstating the FAA’s drone registration requirement

I haven't called a tower for anything drone related. I've been up in a tower a couple of times at smaller airports, and I've talked to quite a few controllers while in a small plane, and they're usually super nice but overworked people. If you're super polite but yet get to the point and are clear in your description of what you want to do without a lot of fluff that's gotta help.

Oh, and re: 107, I haven't done it but it seems like the only really obnoxious requirement is you have to go to a testing center, pay them $150, and take a multiple choice test. 60 questions, you have two hours, you don't have to get them all right (42 I think? Google it if you want the exact number). There's other stuff that happens during the application process like a TSA check but it's not like you need to go in person and interview or anything stupid like that.

You don't have to do things you would do for a regular license, like a checkride or medical tests or whatever.

Last edited:
I too am now registered. Question are we required to display the registration number somewhere on the craft ?

Has anyone completed the pilot program under Part 107? Just wondering how difficult it is, I see it involves studying various documents and taking a written test but do they actually test your ability to fly? (new pilot here)

Last question Section 336 requires you notify the air traffic control tower and airport authorities that are within 5 miles of your planned flight. My main flying area is 4.9 miles from a Class D airport, what has been your experience with contacting airports? have they been receptive or are they negative?
They want you to have your registration number on the drone before you fly. I just used a fine sharpie and wrote the numbers on either side of the body. Should be good enough.

I just used a fine sharpie and wrote the numbers on either side of the body. Should be good enough.

A couple of options...

1) The FAA wants the number on the aircraft on any area that can be easily seen OR is accessible without tools.

Placing it on the inside the battery compartment of Spark would do. Plus it won't mess up any kind of wraps or skins you may have on the exterior.

2) Write or print the number on a piece of tape that can be removed should you decide to sell it or send it in for service.
There is no guarantee that you will get "your" DJI product back if under warranty.

Reactions: antnyp85
Any advice on how this applies to visitors to US? Just won a Spark in a prize draw here in UK. We are taking a vacation in Florida in August and was thinking it might be good to bring my drone with me. Do visitors need to register? If so can registration be done with overseas address?

Do visitors need to register?

From the FAA Website....

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?

If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate.

If you want to operate your UAS exclusively in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you are not required to register your UAS.

If you are not operating for commercial purposes and but also not operating exclusively in compliance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process to obtain a "recognition of ownership" from the FAA. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS for commercial purposes, you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

Am I going to the wrong place to register :
UAS Registration
I've tried for two days and it is down.

Am I correct in believing that if I fly today in my backyard I'm flying illegally ???
Non-commercial backyard hobbyist goes to jail after flying his Spark in the backyard :(

UAS Registration

Am I correct in believing that if I fly today in my backyard I'm flying illegally ???
Non-commercial backyard hobbyist goes to jail after flying his Spark in the backyard :(

We are talking about the US Government and it's a Holiday Week so there's probably nobody in D.C. right now to fix the site.:rolleyes:

It will probably be up and running in 2018 when everybody gets back from Holiday.:cool:

If you want to operate your UAS exclusively in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you are not required to register your UAS.

Thanks. I guess I need to check out what the Special Rule for Model Aircraft says.

UAS Registration

Only if you are within 5 miles of an airport and do not contact them and the traffic controler asking permission to take off with your little spark.

Site is up. I"m legal and minus 5 bucks. Registration didn't say annually so that's a good thing.
We have a small label printer and the FAA number is now affixed in the battery compartment of the Spark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis