Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Trump signs bill reinstating the FAA’s drone registration requirement

What's the deadline for registering? The fee sight has an old date.
The law is active now. So, in reality, you should register and have the registration number on your drone prior to flying it from the day the law was signed forward.

Feeling sorry for anyone who has a drone now and hasn't gotten the news... I haven't seen anything on my browser news feed attuned to me and just barely saw this in passing through the "most popular topics" email...

No. Not if you flying for hobby/recreation only. And if you didn't request a refund from the FAA.

You register yourself (not your drone) and it is good for 3 years.

Sorry to say, not anymore.
Hobbyists are not longer regestered per person but per craft.

I went to check my regestration and you must select "part 107 for commercial, recreation, government...etc" since the part 336 does not fit our description by the choices listed.
Once you create an account/ log in, it will ask you to add your drones.
Mine from my previous regestration were in there...at $5 a piece.

LAst line of the story:
Trump signs bill reinstating the FAA’s drone registration requirement

Sorry to say, not anymore.
Hobbyists are not longer regestered per person but per craft.

I went to check my regestration and you must select "part 107 for commercial, recreation, government...etc" since the part 336 does not fit our description by the choices listed.
Once you create an account/ log in, it will ask you to add your drones.
Mine from my previous regestration were in there...at $5 a piece.

LAst line of the story:
Trump signs bill reinstating the FAA’s drone registration requirement

I don't see anywhere in my existing "hobby/recreation" (Part 336) registration account that lists my individual drones.

I do, however, have my drones listed (and registered) individually in my Part 107 account.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said "you must select "part 107 for commercial, recreation, government...etc" since the part 336 does not fit our description by the choices listed.".

I don't see anywhere in my existing "hobby/recreation" (Part 336) registration account that lists my individual drones.

I do, however, have my drones listed (and registered) individually in my Part 107 account.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said "you must select "part 107 for commercial, recreation, government...etc" since the part 336 does not fit our description by the choices listed.".

336 does not cover us by initial description on the selectable part of the website..
Nowhere does it say "recreation" in the clickable box.
107 does.

There is also the last line of the article quoted from the FAA

I don’t think there is a dead line. Just register. I don’t plan on abusing my drone or flying where I’m not supposed to, but if it means not being hassled if somebody what’s to complain than so be it. I like to be within the law. I do think it’s pretty lame but with the world we all live in now I understand. Happy flying and holidays.

336 does not cover us by initial description on the selectable part of the website..
Nowhere does it say "recreation" in the clickable box.
107 does.
Huh?? Section 336 covers "model aircraft". Section 107 does too but isn't required for flights flown for hobby/recreation only. And it requires a Part 107 certificate.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only

1. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  2. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  3. Give way to manned aircraft
  4. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  5. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
  2. Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
  3. Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107
There is also the last line of the article quoted from the FAA
I wouldn't trust an "article" as being definitive. That likely is not an actual "quote from the FAA".

Note that the rules for UAS operation did not change. Only the requirement to register or not were changed.

Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:

• Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
  • Register your model aircraft
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts

Fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:

• Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
  • Register your model aircraft
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts

UAS Registration

UAS Flown under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336)

If you are flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must:
  1. Register as a "modeler"
  2. Label your model aircraft with your registration number

Sorry, but that FFA quote was picked up by a lot of sources.
Not just the one I posted.
And since this change on the 12th, I doubt the rest of the website has caught up with updates.

This is a new ballgame since it was signed into law.

When you go to do an new Part 336 registration, you are presented with these terms. You are NOT asked for any information about the drone itself. (I just tested it with a new registration.)

Registration Fee
  • The registration fee is $5.00.

Your Unique Number

• When you register, you will receive a unique registration number that applies to any and all unmanned aircraft you own for 3 years. After 3 years, you must re-register.
  • You MUST mark any and all aircraft with your number before you operate them.

I was just checking to see if the Spark qualifies. DJI says it's 300 grams. (I assume they mean with battery) That's 10.6 ounces or 0.66 lbs. The legislation says 0.55 lbs or more. So yep. But I wonder if that includes the prop guards? Getting out my scale... 10.814 oz with battery and props, no guards or gimbal cover etc. Makes me wonder if they picked that weight with specific intent to include the popular Spark? (0.55oz = 255 grams fyi)

I wonder what it would take to bring the Spark down under 255 grams? Slightly smaller battery would surely do it... lighten the airframe somehow... Would you give up 2 minutes of flight time for your Spark to be "unregulated"?

The weight limits/requirements apply to everything attached to the UAS when it launches.

Note that that weight limit was in place two years ago when registration first came into place. Not Spark specific.

Last edited:
I'm out on this topic - everyone is holding onto hope that the regestration requirements have remained the same and they have not.

I agree we do not know yet what changes might occur, all we can go by is the faa site. I registered the same day trump signed the bill. I have not even opened my fly more package (Christmas gift). If it turns out I need to register under part 107...I will, it’s only 5 dollars and some stickers. But as of right now, I have made a good faith effort to comply with the law.

I think they think of everything internally as metric and then convert to pounds later. So internally they probably think of it as being a quarter kilo even, and then a kilo is about 2.2 pounds so if you divide by four you get 0.55. Wish they'd gone with a half kilo but it is what it is.

I was just checking to see if the Spark qualifies. DJI says it's 300 grams. (I assume they mean with battery) That's 10.6 ounces or 0.66 lbs. The legislation says 0.55 lbs or more. So yep. But I wonder if that includes the prop guards? Getting out my scale... 10.814 oz with battery and props, no guards or gimbal cover etc. Makes me wonder if they picked that weight with specific intent to include the popular Spark? (0.55oz = 255 grams fyi)

I wonder what it would take to bring the Spark down under 255 grams? Slightly smaller battery would surely do it... lighten the airframe somehow... Would you give up 2 minutes of flight time for your Spark to be "unregulated"?

I just bougth a Spark and a lightening kit to bring it a tad under 300 grams, it changes the upper cover with a 1 gram copy, and carbon fiber prop guards because to be considered "harmless" a drone must have guards. That's the rule here in Italy, 300 grams, add the fact we're nearing Christmas and they're selling Sparks by the metric ton :)

I too am now registered. Question are we required to display the registration number somewhere on the craft ?

Has anyone completed the pilot program under Part 107? Just wondering how difficult it is, I see it involves studying various documents and taking a written test but do they actually test your ability to fly? (new pilot here)

Last question Section 336 requires you notify the air traffic control tower and airport authorities that are within 5 miles of your planned flight. My main flying area is 4.9 miles from a Class D airport, what has been your experience with contacting airports? have they been receptive or are they negative?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis