Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark battery strap or elastic band?

SparkOwner

Join
Feb 10, 2018
Anyone actually use one of those spark battery straps that clip on to the back of the arms? -

How good are they and will it put strain on the back 2 motors as the weight would be uneven when the strap is attached? This is why I'm unsure on whether to buy one..

What are you using to keep your battery in place for extra safety?

Please post a picture along with your post if possible.

I dont use anything? I try to stay away from adding things to the craft, guards and landing gears etc.

Has your battery seemed loose at all?

No it's not, but I have just purchased an extra battery and changing them on a regular will wear the clips down on the battery or the notches on the drone shell it self which then leads to battery's and drop outs in the sky and or both.

It's actually a known issue with the sparks over time and I'd rather be safe than sorry\ future proof because over time everyone will need to add either a strap or something that fits to avoid a drop out mid-flight.

I don't use anything, battery holds in fine as long as the tabs aren't broken.

Preflight, I inspect the small black tabs that hold it in, and when removing the battery I make sure I have fully moved the sliders, and not just pulled.
I'm extra careful when releasing the batteries, I always hold the battery as I pull the clips fully back to release but this is no solution to the design flaw that the sparks have.. And as safe as I am I don't want to risk it, too many horror stories about drop outs.

Those battery clips won't hold up forever no matter how careful you are. It's a weak point either on the triangle tabs on the drone it self or the black clips on the battery and or both.

I'm extra careful when releasing the batteries, I always hold the battery as I pull the clips fully back to release but this is no solution to the design flaw that the sparks have.. And as safe as I am I don't want to risk it, too many horror stories about drop outs.

Those battery clips won't hold up forever no matter how careful you are. It's a weak point either on the triangle tabs on the drone it self or the black clips on the battery and or both.
I didn't know this was an issue. Kind of concerning. Where have you seen these issues?

I didn't know this was an issue. Kind of concerning. Where have you seen these issues?
I’ve seen it on the dji site/forums I think. Clips get loose and don’t snap in all the way. I’ll see if I can’t find the thread I saw it mentioned in.

This is a very heavily discussed topic. I use this:
The SureSecure™ Battery Lock for dji Spark by DGI_Delivering_Great_Inventions on Shapeways

IMO it is overpriced, but it is the only one I have found that is easy to put on and take off (won't break when to try to put it on or scratch Sparky's arms). It is very light - probably just a few grams.

It seems like it will work. The only way to test any of these I think is to break off the battery tabs and then insert the battery into Spark and see of the strap will force the battery to maintain electrical contact with the Spark while in flight.

You know, I was thinking why not just use a rubber band? Or when I used to fly heli's, I always used a Velcro strap.

I must admit, on one of my first few flights...around the 5th or so, I was hovering on my back deck about 6 feet up and the battery just fell out and the Spark dropped like a brick. Luckily, nothing broke. After that, I saw a LOT of posts about this happening to people and now I double-check the battery before every flight. However, I'm still seeing posts from people that religiously double-check the battery and have still fallen out. I might just use Velcro or a rubber band...

For info,, my battery fell out of the Spark, battery and Spark tumbled to the ground. Spark is now with DJi for repairs, and when it comes back I will be using a battery clamp to ensure this does not happen again. To big an investment to take a chance with a bad battery clip!!

This thread needs a sticky, don't you think?

Every spark owner needs to see this thread, I know there's people on this forum who are not aware of this issue.

This thread needs a sticky, don't you think?

Every spark owner needs to see this thread, I know there's people on this forum who are not aware of this issue.
There are people here who are not even aware of this issue and have even commented at the start of the thread.

It's concerning..

:) you quoted yourself 3 minutes later lol

I am making it a point to check and ensure before attaching the battery and before every flight that: i) battery brackets are not defective, and ii) battery is attached & locked on Spark by pulling back and verifying battery is locked and there's no give from both sides of the battery. - this gives me at least some peace of mind...

:) you quoted yourself 3 minutes later lol

I am making it a point to check and ensure before attaching the battery and before every flight that: i) battery brackets are not defective, and ii) battery is attached & locked on Spark by pulling back and verifying battery is locked and there's no give from both sides of the battery. - this gives me at least some peace of mind...
I know, I was meant to do that.

Of course check before flight but what I'm saying is people need to be aware of it, even with a battery clicking in place means nothing and some people will think once it clicks and powers up it's fine... Well no its not.. unless they try the pull method on the battery to make sure its going nowhere..

Reactions: Seanjo
Crap! How old was then spark? And tips on a good clamp?
Spark was six month sold when the battery fell out. It was one of the old type batteries that had a flaw with the latching clips, since then the new batteries have a better clip, however I am not taking any chances and will use the external battery clamp.The battery Clamps advertised on Ebay and Amazon are good. I have bought the one advertised on Amazon, does the job perfectly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502