Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark arriving Monday...

James Lummel

Join
Jul 20, 2018
Hi! My name is James and I've been building and flying multirotors for a few years now, and I must say that I'm pretty excited about getting the Spark (which should be on Monday)! I got a refurbished Spark Fly More package in Alpine White directly from DJI thru their Newegg.com online store and paid about $285 for the deal (I had some Eggpoints I was able to apply to get the price that low, regular price was $350 or so).

My first DJI was a Phantom 1.1.1 several years ago when DJI was closing them out, but more recently I've picked up a Phantom 3 4K (last December) and a Phantom 4 Advanced (refurb) last month (which is where I got the Eggpoints I used for the Spark). I'm using the P4A professionally, but until I get my 107 I'm acting as the spotter for the small company I'm working with, though I do occasionally get to fly with our 107 pilot being the "pilot in charge" as allowed under 107.

I bring that up because the reason I got the Spark was on our last trip out (traveling almost 1000 miles to 8 different remote sites) we could have used a good scouting drone at a few of the sites. While I could build up a small 250 quad or hex with a MiniAPM and FPV, I wouldn't be able to use it commercially since the video feed would have been on 5.8gHz (not that the frequency matters). So I could use it as a ham (long as I'm transmitting my call sign with the video, W7JBL), but as a ham I can't use it for commercial purposes. And I have a duty to my clients NOT to encumber any work I do for them with legal issues of ANY sort, potential or fully realized!

And we would never want to put our main money maker (the P4A) at risk doing scouting or taking close in shots with wind and obstructions! The Spark is uniquely suited to tasks like this with it's range, it's small size, it's ability to handle wind, and it's collision avoidance (especially during return to home). I also have an old BLU Studio X Plus phone that I can dedicate to the Spark (5.5" screen, FreedomPop LTE SIM for free mobile data, and surprisingly enough it runs DJI Go 4 like a champ despite it's age), so it'll take only a minute or two to deploy the Spark and it can be flown at the same time as the P4A if needed, giving us additional spotting capabilities from unique perspectives not available from the ground.

I also picked up the DJI Googles (this time thru the DJI Store on Amazon, also refurbished) and look forward to using them with both the P4A and the Spark, and will see if I can get them to work with the P3 4K as well (not holding my breath). They'll be in later today.

I've been a member of other xxxPilot forums and have always found them to be both engaging and informative and I look forward to contributing to the SparkPilots forum as well!

James Lummel
Kingman, AZ, USA

Update- just got a notice that the Spark will be delivered today as well as the goggles. It's like Christmas in July!

Last edited:
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, James Lummel.

Christmas in July !! :)

Welcome to the Forum.:cool:

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the SparkPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI Spark quadcopter’s.
Enjoy!
*DJI Spark Manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spark/Spark User Manual V1.6-.pdf

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast