Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark’s GPS receiver

sve

Join
Sep 20, 2017
Hi,
I wanted to discuss the GPS reception capabilities of Spark.
I compared it to my old Phantom 3. Here are my observations:
Being at one place – flat terrain with some trees and small buildings around – P3 records the Home point about 30 seconds after turning on, while Spark is not able to record Home point at all. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes of hovering in the place at some height.

In the air P3 keeps constant 15-20 satellites lock as usual, while Spark - inconsistently 10-12 satellites and sometimes loses strong GPS signal and GPS related functions do not work. It has happened even in wide open areas:
Screenshot_2017-09-19-18-14-54.jpg
I have observed similar performance of Spark in different locations.

I am trying to find out whether these are the real GPS reception capabilities of Spark or there is a problem with mine.

I haven't had any issues like this. I wouldn't take off until the home point is recorded - which is pretty quick.

Reactions: sve
My success seems to be based on where I am. If I'm at home it takes forever to get a GPS lock. Out and about it's usually very quick. I think there's probably some local interference or the trees create issues. Might be the same in your case.

Hi,
I wanted to discuss the GPS reception capabilities of Spark.
I compared it to my old Phantom 3. Here are my observations:
Being at one place – flat terrain with some trees and small buildings around – P3 records the Home point about 30 seconds after turning on, while Spark is not able to record Home point at all. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes of hovering in the place at some height.

In the air P3 keeps constant 15-20 satellites lock as usual, while Spark - inconsistently 10-12 satellites and sometimes loses strong GPS signal and GPS related functions do not work. It has happened even in wide open areas:
View attachment 1351
I have observed similar performance of Spark in different locations.

I am trying to find out whether these are the real GPS reception capabilities of Spark or there is a problem with mine.
Did you have placed anything on top of the Spark?
Don't sounds like normal. 10-12 satellites sounds too small for the area you show in the map, especially if you can almost see the horizon.
If you use android, I would try to use some GPS viewer like "GPS Status" or best use "UAV Forecast". The last one can predict how many satellites can be expected where you are.
In case you see always much less than expected, then your Spark has an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: sve
Thanks for the replies! They all are very helpful.
Of course there has never been anything on top of Spark. :)

New Spark owner As of Oct 1 - but I have been flying for a couple of years and have built four of my own craft.

So just to be clear,
GPS fix should be rather quick and if you can read up to 10 sats and still not have a recorded home something is wrong with the unit?

I can take up to 10% battery power waiting for just 8 sats.
This condition is everywhere.
This morning I flew in the open skies, 15% cloud cover and the craft recorded home position 9 minutes into the flight.
So it cannot be ground interference.

Also to note, If I feel it is taking too long and I move it, sat count drops to 0 and the process starts all over again.

My setup is the fly more package so I am using the controller, iPhone with reverse use OTG cable connection.

New Spark owner As of Oct 1 - but I have been flying for a couple of years and have built four of my own craft.

So just to be clear,
GPS fix should be rather quick and if you can read up to 10 sats and still not have a recorded home something is wrong with the unit?

I can take up to 10% battery power waiting for just 8 sats.
This condition is everywhere.
This morning I flew in the open skies, 15% cloud cover and the craft recorded home position 9 minutes into the flight.
So it cannot be ground interference.

Also to note, If I feel it is taking too long and I move it, sat count drops to 0 and the process starts all over again.

My setup is the fly more package so I am using the controller, iPhone with reverse use OTG cable connection.
My experience was exactly the same and I think that there’s an issue with the unit. Another set up wouldn’t influence the GPS.

Unfortunately I lost my Spark (caused by another issue) and I was not able to verify it.

I would suggest you to clarify the things by independent analysis of your log files. If the issue is confirmed you can claim for warranty.

If you are not confident how to proceed with log files let me know, I’ll give you more details.

My experience was exactly the same and I think that there’s an issue with the unit. Another set up wouldn’t influence the GPS.

Unfortunately I lost my Spark (caused by another issue) and I was not able to verify it.

I would suggest you to clarify the things by independent analysis of your log files. If the issue is confirmed you can claim for warranty.

If you are not confident how to proceed with log files let me know, I’ll give you more details.

Pulling the log files is not a problem.
I have reviewed all 19 of them and it is all the same - weak GPS signal
But as far as home set within a minute or two of powering up...that has never happened.

Pulling the log files is not a problem.
I have reviewed all 19 of them and it is all the same - weak GPS signal
But as far as home set within a minute or two of powering up...that has never happened.
Select 2-3 of logs which represent flights in different but clear open areas.

Upload them here: DJI Flight Log Viewer

Bookmark and share newly generated pages. I can look at them.

In all three logs I can see some factors from the surrounding environment which can influence good GPS reception - buildings, trees, power lines, antennas. When big part of horizon is blocked this somewhat explains slow home point recording on the ground.
building.jpg
trees.jpg
powerlines.jpg
You may have already noticed that in altitude GPS improves but still it looks inadequately weak. Try to fly in excellent conditions for example NE from Walmart -would be more informative.

Two more things to keep in mind:
OTG cable connection is not supported by DJI and in warranty case can break things down.
In ATTI mode Spark behaves more erratically and not always as expected.

But in all of those same places I get max available sats with my DIY crafts within 30 seconds.

And in the Walmart flight, it improved after 9 minutes of flight
I'm not saying no problem with GPS but also I am not confident to conclude. Having experience with DJI support that would be expected response. In this forum DJI SPARK forum
there are people who are pro in analyzing these logs. Open a thread, explain the problems, put the links and ask for help.

I'm not saying no problem with GPS but also I am not confident to conclude. Having experience with DJI support that would be expected response. In this forum DJI SPARK forum
there are people who are pro in analyzing these logs. Open a thread, explain the problems, put the links and ask for help.
The pro are on our forum [emoji6]
Usually it is better to get the flight record from within the Spark as a DAT file. It is explained on YouTube, DJI support channel. I can guide you in getting it.

The pro are on our forum [emoji6]
Usually it is better to get the flight record from within the Spark as a DAT file. It is explained on YouTube, DJI support channel. I can guide you in getting it.

I just happened to see those too

Attachments

• 2017-10-05 19_28_59-0BMUE8K0010041.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 9
I thought the same thing too but I pulled them from the Flight Logs folder

You might want to guide me

**Found it - but the .dat is 1.09gb
Yes, it is usually big. You need to copy it to something like dropbox and give the link to it here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio