Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

once you slam it into the ground... which locators/ trackers are recommended?

beiter

Join
Apr 5, 2018
Good day & clear skies everyone,

was wondering on whether anyone could give me some advise on a lighweight tracker that would allow the spark to be found even after the impact... has anyone made experiences with loc8tor (presumably bluetooth based?) or even strapping something like a lightweight Kids GPS watch to their spark?

was wondering on whether anyone could give me some advise on a lighweight tracker that would allow the spark to be found even after the impact... has anyone made experiences with loc8tor (presumably bluetooth based?) or even strapping something like a lightweight Kids GPS watch to their spark?

I have the Loc8tor on my Spark but haven't had to use it on a real rescue mission (yet).

The Loc8tor uses a radio frequency other than Bluetooth with a range of 400 feet LOS.

My Copilot and I played hide and seek with it in the backyard and alley. It seems to work ok. It has it's own handheld tracker with visual and audio cues to find it.

There are better ones on the market and some GPS trackers may need a monthly service.
The problem is trying to find a spot on the Spark to mount some of them.

Search this Forum for GPS tracker and good luck.

Here's a video showing how the Loc8tor tracker works:

The Marco Polo tracker also uses a radio signal. It's a bit larger (still small enough to attach to the Spark), but has a 2-mile range. Here's a video showing how it works:

Most GPS trackers are too large to safely attach to the Spark. The Trackimo Mini tracker is one option that could work if mounted on top of the Spark like this:

Trackimo-Mini.jpg

What's wrong with looking at your flight records to get the last known GPS coordinates and use google maps to pinpoint it? These features are built into the spark.

What's wrong with looking at your flight records to get the last known GPS coordinates and use google maps to pinpoint it?
That works if the Spark lands/crashes at the last recorded location. If it continues to fly after disconnecting from the remote controller, the location in the flight log on the mobile device won't be accurate.

That works if the Spark lands/crashes at the last recorded location. If it continues to fly after disconnecting from the remote controller, the location in the flight log on the mobile device won't be accurate.

If flying in the bush, or where there is no cell coverage you need an alternative. Though priced high, I use the Marco Polo mounted on the DJI/PGYTECH finger guards.

See link:
(Buy PGYTECH Spark Hand Guards).

The antenna can be left standing (recommended) or laid down as shown, both ways clear the props. I've tried both and prefer it laid down out of the way where it is less likely you will break the antenna.

Range is up to 2 miles but the reality in heavy growth or around buildings, it is approximately a half mile, but still good. Does not seem to affect flight characteristics.

Below are three shots, first with antenna vertical, second laid down, third a front on shot. Also tried mounting fore and aft configurations both top and bottom mounting, but these alternatives present other problems such as access to the USB charge outlet which is opposite the antenna (facing you in pic below) or closeness of the antenna to props.

Marco Polo Up.jpg Marco Polo Down.jpg Marco Polo Front Shot.jpg

I have a Marco Polo on my Spark and it uses radio signal. Here is how I mounted it and I have another video on my channel of a hide and seek test I did with it.

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
I have a Marco Polo on my Spark and it uses radio signal. Here is how I mounted it and I have another video on my channel of a hide and seek test I did with it.
Just an FYI...hanging it off the front arm like that blocks one of the Sparks antennas.

JMcIntosh:

Nice vid....brilliant idea using the coffee straw as an antenna holder! I was concerned about the aircraft ‘trimming’ its antenna lol...

I use a Trackimo 3G unit on my Mavic Pro, but it’s too large for the Spark; I also have a few Marco Polo tags and was thinking of using one on the Spark when I saw this thread.

I currently have a piece of 3M Scotchlok (think ‘super velcro’) directly atop the bird I use to mount a Firehouse Cree mini-strobe...your solution will allow me to test a Marco unit it as well.

I looked at some teardown shots of the Spark internals and am unsure if it will hamper the inbuilt antennas as another poster proposed...so some testing will prove/disprove that idea.

Darn...I have to fly to test it...thank you sir, may I have another hehe.

Thanks again and fly safe!

JMcIntosh:

Nice vid....brilliant idea using the coffee straw as an antenna holder! I was concerned about the aircraft ‘trimming’ its antenna lol...

I use a Trackimo 3G unit on my Mavic Pro, but it’s too large for the Spark; I also have a few Marco Polo tags and was thinking of using one on the Spark when I saw this thread.

I currently have a piece of 3M Scotchlok (think ‘super velcro’) directly atop the bird I use to mount a Firehouse Cree mini-strobe...your solution will allow me to test a Marco unit it as well.

I looked at some teardown shots of the Spark internals and am unsure if it will hamper the inbuilt antennas as another poster proposed...so some testing will prove/disprove that idea.

Darn...I have to fly to test it...thank you sir, may I have another hehe.

Thanks again and fly safe!
Lol thank you! I have not had any issues with signal and use it on every flight! I’m glad it was helpful!

GPS Tracker or something similar for fly aways
GPS tracker for Spark
Mounting Marco Polo Tracking System on a Spark?
Tradkimo GPS pet vs regular

Reactions: beiter
I have not noticed any difference in before and after flight times after mounting the Marco Polo transmitter on the finger guard as shown.

I use the trackimo pet GPS. Plenty of clearance for the props if stuck in the middle top of spark with some velcro. Works great and weighs as much as the prop guards.20170909_213715.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio