Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

GPS Tracker or something similar for fly aways

nutsnbolts

Join
Nov 25, 2017
Is anyone using any other extras like GPS tracker for the spark in case of fly aways?

I purchased one of these.
Upgradable to 4 tiles.
Only used it on "Hide and Seek" testing around the backyard.
My copilot would hide the Spark and I would find it. And vice-versa.

It works off of RF frequency better than Bluethooth with 400' LOS range?

GPS tiles may require a monthly fee to stay active?

I purchased one of these.
Upgradable to 4 tiles.
Only used it on "Hide and Seek" testing around the backyard.
My copilot would hide the Spark and I would find it. And vice-versa.

It works off of RF frequency better than Bluethooth with 400' LOS range?

GPS tiles may require a monthly fee to stay active?
Any issues weighing the spark down?

No issues with weight. It weighs less than 5 grams.
It's positioned on top and centered between the props.
If you look at the Spark 317 avatar to the left, it's the black disc on top of the Spark.

It's just a little peace of mind should I use it. Better than my one mile of kite string theory for tracking the drone.:D

Any chance the tracker might interfere with controlling the Spark?

I haven't noticed any abnormal flights with it.

I don't understand why you need a tracker, I had a fly away and the "find my drone app " worked great took me to the drone a mile away with in 3 ft of it. please inlighten me. i really want some feed back in this.

Reactions: ccolt1
please inlighten me

I wasn't sure how accurate the "Find my drone" worked.
I figured it would get me to the general area and I would look from there.

With what I have, I can get to the area, press the button on the remote and start my search.
Whether the Spark is in a tree, bush, or grassy field beyond my vision, I can use the visual and audio cues of the tracker to find it.

Kind of like having a fire extinguisher in your house.
You hope you never need to use it, but it's there if you need it.

I wasn't sure how accurate the "Find my drone" worked.
I figured it would get me to the general area and I would look from there.

With what I have, I can get to the area, press the button on the remote and start my search.
Whether the Spark is in a tree, bush, or grassy field beyond my vision, I can use the visual and audio cues of the tracker to find it.

Kind of like having a fire extinguisher in your house.
You hope you never need to use it, but it's there if you need it.
Exactly. Quite honestly it's more of a piece of mind more than anything. I posted this questions due to videos that I have seen and it scares me.

Of course I can't say how often fly aways happen but I'm sure it happens and for those that were lucky enough like you to have no issues I'm sure there are more that have issues. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think if it isn't an issue the videos that are out there would contradict that or at least clarify that fly aways are not a likely case.

I don't understand why you need a tracker, I had a fly away and the "find my drone app " worked great took me to the drone a mile away with in 3 ft of it. please inlighten me.
The find my drone feature will only show you the actual last location if the Spark is still connected to the remote controller when the Spark lands/crashes. If it gets blown away in a strong wind as it's trying to fly back to the home point (for example), it will not be located at the last recorded point.

can you explain this to me? what happened to me. i had a fly away ,lost complete connection and signal with my remote and the go app had no signal and the remote light was red "no connection"

can you explain this to me? what happened to me.
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Reactions: VETTE198620002000
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
thanks ill do that soon.i do know i had magnetic interference and lost complete signal when it was only 40ft above me when it flew away.

what is the best and least expensive tracker out there?
The Marco Polo tracker is a good choice due to its small size (see it in action here). You could velcro it to either side of the Spark's body. Here are a few places to purchase the Marco Polo tracker:
Another member here is using the Trackimo Mini. It's less expensive up front, but you need to pay a monthly fee to use it. Here's a spot it could be mounted on the Spark:

Trackimo-Mini.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schmidtrobert