Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Newbie Here

Walter Hall

Join
Mar 22, 2018
Hello Everyone:

Yes I am a newbie. Has my Spark for 48 hours now. I will try not to be a pest but I do want to learn. First stupid questions are:

1. Do you have to have an internet connection on my phone to fly the spark with the controller?
2. Do you have to have an internet connection on my phone to fly the spark with the phone?

I guess you need to be signed into the Spark app DJI GO4 to do either, but is this a stand alone app or does it require being internet connected to the DJI server?

Thanking you in advance!

Regards,

MAUIWH

Hello from the Mid-West, Walter Hall.

You do need a WiFi connection, but not to the internet.

Check your devices WiFi list and select the Spark once it's turned on .

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Hello Mid-West!

Thanks for responding. So the WIFI I need is produced by the drone correct? I do not need a WIFI source from a store or home near me?

Regards,

Walt

Hello Everyone:

Yes I am a newbie. Has my Spark for 48 hours now. I will try not to be a pest but I do want to learn. First stupid questions are:

1. Do you have to have an internet connection on my phone to fly the spark with the controller?
2. Do you have to have an internet connection on my phone to fly the spark with the phone?

I guess you need to be signed into the Spark app DJI GO4 to do either, but is this a stand alone app or does it require being internet connected to the DJI server?

Thanking you in advance!

Regards,

MAUIWH
No you do Not need Internet to fly the drone but you will need it for any updates if you need them.

To update the firmware yes, to fly no
I guess I don't understand, I get that you need wifi for updates. But how does the Spark connect to the app if you need no internet and no wifi? I thought the Spark produced wifi that the phone can connect to?

No you do Not need Internet to fly the drone but you will need it for any updates if you need them.
I guess I don't understand, I get that you need wifi for updates. But how does the Spark connect to the app if you need no internet and no wifi? I thought the Spark produced wifi that the phone can connect to?
Yes the Spark connects to the phone via Wi-Fi but you don’t need Internet to fly it. Unless you were using the remote then the spark connects to the remote with Wi-Fi and then the remote connect to the phone with Wi-Fi.

You need WiFi, not network, the Spark connects to the app via WiFi, or, if you have the controller, the controller connects to the app via WiFi

**Edit** LOL, yeah what he said.

Yes the Spark connects to the phone via Wi-Fi but you don’t need Internet to fly it. Unless you were using the remote then the spark connects to the remote with Wi-Fi and then the remote connect to the phone with Wi-Fi.
Ah OK now I understand! Thanks!

Reactions: JMcIntosh
Hi Walter, welcome.
Yes, Spark connects to the remote controller or your phone via Wifi. The internet connection on your phone will only be use if there are any firmware updates, map updates or DJI Go 4 app updates.

Here is another way to look at it. The Go4 app controls the spark. Now in order for the app to send and receive "directions" to and from the Spark there needs to be a way to connect the two. That is done through your WiFi. That WiFi can be connected to various other "devices" (e.g. Internet connections, printers, thermostats, etc.) just like a hair dryer can be connected to different receptacles in your house (e.g. bathroom, bedroom, etc.). In order to connect your WiFi to the Spark so the app can control it I go into "Settings" on my ipad (or smartphone) select the WiFi tab and turn off whatever it is currently connected to (likely my home internet) and select from the list of devices (listed on the screen below the active connection) the one for the spark. It usually starts with "RC" . Now the controller is connected to the spark and the Go4 app can control it.

Now every so often when you go through this process there will be an update to something. The app will tell you this on the screen. NOW you need to connect the controller WiFi to the internet so it can download the update for the app, or spark, or battery or whatever. After the update is complete you will need to once again turn off the connection to the internet (through settings) and select and connect to the spark (listed with the name beginning with RC).

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar