Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

AirMap shutting down June 22nd

I B Spectre

Join
Aug 16, 2019
At the suggestion of seasoned Spark veterans on this site, one of the first apps I acquired was for AirMap. It appeared to have everything the fledgling UAV operator would need to operate in the airspace. Yesterday I was updating numerous apps, especially those I don't use on a very regular basis, and was greeted with unexpected shutdown news. I've not used LAANC system, but AirMap said they'd already disabled it for requesting authorization to fly in controlled airspace.

I remember AirMap was one of the entities that was jockeying for a place among contractors in the proposed system the FAA originally floated for requiring internet connection to be able to fly. Since the FAA wisely backed away from that system, it may be AirMap didn't see any profit in continuing to support the largely civilian UAS operations. Who knows, but anyway they are only days away from pulling the plug.

Any of our knowledgeable readers have suggestions for an app that will fill the gap?

Btw: Happy Father's Day!

Just tried opening my AirMap app here in Australia, greeted with a full screen warning about LAANC (we don't use that system here) and was directed to DroneUp in the app store, developed by Dart Ventures.

That app seems to not work in Oz for showing airspace zones, and has too many other services, jobs nearby, missions, etc.
Deleted that and AirMap, have several good free apps for this in Oz from our CASA authority, so not a major loss.
I will find a 2nd app that looks ok as a back up to my most used app.

It's been awhile since I looked at Kittyhawk and it appears it has been renamed Aloft. Too bad Air Map is gone, I liked the interface and map info on airspace restrictions. I'm also looking at the B4UFLY app from the FAA, but user comments say it does not show sensitive areas like wild life preserves and so forth, things can get you in trouble if you don't know they're there. You'd think since the FAA governs sectional charts it would be easy to include all pertinent info. Probably should've sold my Spark kit back when it looked like RID was forging ahead. Any of the <250 gram drones obviate the need for RID and registration.

I noticed the look of Kittyhawk closely resemble that of B4UFLY, then I read, "Kittyhawk and the FAA have introduced a new version B4UFLY", so that would explain it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast