Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Have you been in the clouds with your spark?

Does fog count?

Either way, it's not advisable due to the nature of the cloud / fog as it may fool the sensors of the Spark causing an iradditic flight.

The Spark thinks it's something solid and may try to avoid or land on it.

i got close one day the clouds were low in florida.. but havent caught them that low.. ive only been up max att like 3times.. 1639feet , was careful ,and only up about a min or 2.. but the blanket of clouds were right above the spark

On my second or third flight last fall when my bird was new, I suddenly lost vlos and the screen was full milky. We were in a cloud! I descended with full left stick down. After 5 or 10 looong seconds I could se the ground on screen again. Then my Spark got mad and carouselled very fast. I could not stop the rotation but was happy it was coming down. Finally it landed normal.

I guess after some reading here that I got mist on the sensors, but am not quite sure of it

Pls tell me you guys stay below 400 feet above the ground when you do this. The last thing we need when we land a jet in bad weather is a drone in the clouds! (what we call IMC...)

Reactions: Spark 317
Pls tell me you guys stay below 400 feet above the ground when you do this. The last thing we need when we land a jet in bad weather is a drone in the clouds! (what we call IMC...)
When that happened to me, she was up around 30 meters or 100 feet. I called it cloud here, but it was more of fog at that height. From the ground I could never determine where it starts when trying to have VLOS. It hapoened so fast.

When she was descending I could follow better and better surroundings on the screen. So sometimes it is better to look at the screen than on the drone.

Took mine to 500meters yesterday. I never reached the clouds.

You know 500 meters is too high, we have to work together to follow FAA rules, or they will put more restrictions on us and decrease out ability to have fun in more places, and maybe even decrease the legal height we can fly. We are a community of fun loving drooners, and we have to protect and fight for fewer restrictions, not more. Just a suggestion !!

You know 500 meters is too high, we have to work together to follow FAA rules, or they will put more restrictions on us and decrease out ability to have fun in more places, and maybe even decrease the legal height we can fly. We are a community of fun loving drooners, and we have to protect and fight for fewer restrictions, not more. Just a suggestion !!

You know that there are no height restrictions in the U.S. if flying recreationally under section 336?

You know that there are no height restrictions in the U.S. if flying recreationally under section 336?

But the likelihood of intersecting with a plane or helicopter increases, the higher we fly our drones. It was just a suggestion to seek to maintain our acceptance as pilots of drones, among the FAA and pilots of manned units, who have the responsibility for the lives of the people on board.

But the likelihood of intersecting with a plane or helicopter increases, the higher we fly our drones. It was just a suggestion to seek to maintain our acceptance as pilots of drones, among the FAA and pilots of manned units, who have the responsibility for the lives of the people on board.

Oh I don't disagree, we should for the most part stay below the recommended 400ft altitude. You say "it was just a suggestion", yet your post specifically stated "You know 500 meters is too high, we have to work together to follow FAA rules". I'm just pointing out that there are no FAA rules/restrictions on altitude when flying under section 336 for recreational pilots.

Oh I don't disagree, we should for the most part stay below the recommended 400ft altitude. You say "it was just a suggestion", yet your post specifically stated "You know 500 meters is too high, we have to work together to follow FAA rules". I'm just pointing out that there are no FAA rules/restrictions on altitude when flying under section 336 for recreational pilots.

OK, I see your point, but agree with you most of our flying should be below 400 meters. We're in agreement !!

"I" didn't know this, I thought it was 400 feet, but then got me looking into other things, such as flying over AAA baseball games, etc (just for info) I thought ALL stadiums were off limits, turns out only if they seat over 30K

A while back I woke up to a heavy fog, but flew up through the mist/clouds a few hundred feet - popped out of the top and got these shots. No issues with sensors during ascent/descent. Love this thing :)

Kent-Clouds-03.jpg

Kent-Clouds-01.jpg

Kent-Clouds-02.jpg

Kent UK BTW.

I live in a yellow zone I get the message on my phone to unlock but haven't flown yet, still green waiting for some things for my spark. I can't fly over 400 feet and don't plan too, got to follow the rules, but again very nice pic's I live in New York.

The sensors of the Spark are not designed to fly in clouds, your bird may enter in landing mode and even if you activate sport mode it will be still in landing mode... If the Spark is it's very high it's probably that you get out of battery and it finall falls. It's not a supposition, you can see YouTube videos where this happen. If you want be over clouds, think about Mavic Pro or Inspire.

The sensors of the Spark are not designed to fly in clouds, your bird may enter in landing mode and even if you activate sport mode it will be still in landing mode... If the Spark is it's very high it's probably that you get out of battery and it finall falls. It's not a supposition, you can see YouTube videos where this happen. If you want be over clouds, think about Mavic Pro or Inspire.
I was thinking sport mode is the cure for this situation? If not , what Is?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d beard