Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Furthest I've been

idbl_fanatic

Join
Jan 9, 2018
Out in the middle of the desert. A little disappointed though,I went to fly for fireworks last night, I was in a NFZScreenshot_20180704-125206.jpg

I have yet to get beyond 1600ft, at least flying at regular speed. Most of the range tests use sport mode that I've seen. I'm not sure if that matters. My 1600 ft was do to RTH initiating, not battery being too low.

Most of the range tests use sport mode that I've seen. I'm not sure if that matters.

Well, it helps in the sense that if you're going really far it can take quite a while to get out there at the lowest speeds and then you have battery issues. Normally I don't fly that far away at all - I see it more as bad planning - but I'll truck along this old abandoned pier sometimes - goes miles out into the water, nothing to hit - and I've done over a mile. It takes a LONG time to go a mile if you're not in sports mode.

I've done 6500ft in FCC mode (I may have been using that little range extender that slips on to the antennas, can't remember for sure) but yes battery quickly becomes a concern unless you fly out straight in sports mode.

If total distance traveled was 4418 feet round trip -- then distance from home was actually only 2209 feet. This is LESS THAN HALF of the range that DJI lists in manual. I would have expected better results in the desert where interference at a minimum
4391, and that was how far it was out, NOT total distance, my total for that flight was 12,379

My max was 15,134 ft out - long story but came up short coming back home by 490 ft. due to battery. I'll never try to go that far again, but long story short drone was 3/4 submerged in muddy water for 5 days and 2 thunderstorms before I rescued it - dried it out and now works 100% as before. Used stock Spark, battery, remote, OTG cable, and passive parabolic range extender on antenna (which pretty close to doubles my range). Key to range is being in area with clear line of site, minimal to no radio interference and low wind. I find the 5.8mhz works best for me most times, but I leave on automatic and allow DJI Go4 determine the channel.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: Gavieboydgi
My max was 15,134 ft out - long story but came up short coming back home by 490 ft. due to battery. I'll never try to go that far again, but long story short drone was 3/4 submerged in muddy water for 5 days and 2 thunderstorms before I rescued it - dried it out and now works 100% as before. Used stock Spark, battery, remote, OTG cable, and passive parabolic range extender on antenna (which pretty close to doubles my range). Key to range is being in area with clear line of site, minimal to no radio interference and low wind. I find the 5.8mhz works best for me most times, but I leave on automatic and allow DJI Go4 determine the channel.
Wow that's nearly 3 Miles with the little Spark. I find if you find a decent spot high up over everything you can go for miles the batteries become the limiting feature then.

Judging by the map I know that area. I live in Mt Laurel. Fly around Rancocas Creek and the Delaware when I can.

Judging by the map I know that area. I live in Mt Laurel. Fly around Rancocas Creek and the Delaware when I can.
Live in Hainesport - I've found 3 spots around the Delaware and Rancocas creek that are great to fly at - happy to share if interested. How about you, any suggestions around the area that you find particularly interesting or a favorite? Have some YouTube flights that are not posted as public of those areas as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar