Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

4.2.4 - Android - Tremendous Lag - Makes App Unusable

Mitskinyc

Join
Jan 14, 2018
Starting a separate thread for this issue.

I have been using my Nexus 6p since getting my Spark Combo in November. I bought the new Pixel 2, so I decided to use the 6p only with the Spark. I factory reset the 6p, and only Spark related apps like DJI Go and B4UFly are now on it.

I do not use OTG. Latest 8.1 Android. Remote Control. Everything shows latest firmware.

This setup has been very solid for me. Once in a while the DJI app crashes, but other than that there has been very little lag. Honestly, I did not understand why everyone was making such a fuss over OTG since the wifi to the controller was working fine for me.

Yesterday while preparing for some weekend flights the DJI app updated to 4.2.4.

The DJI app is now basically unusable. It will lag and freeze for very long periods. Video will go garbled, then come back. The video will go in slow motion for upwards of 45 seconds. Then everything will work perfectly for brief periods, and again return to unusable.

The remote control still works fine, and the Spark is very responsive to it. I can now however, no longer use just the video feed to fly, as I cannot let it out of eyesight.

I just now synced up my flight records, stopped the DJI App, cleared the cache, cleared the data, uninstalled, rebooted the 6p, and reinstalled the app. No change. Unusable lag.

I checked here and the DJI forums and no one else seems to be reporting this same issue. Is this true? Anyone have any ideas what to do next?

Note that last weekend, before the update, everything was fine. Also, playing back the video, original and cached, does not show any problems. Lastly, looking at the WiFi spectrum in the app does not show any channel crowding.

Mitch in NYC

I have been using my Nexus 6p since getting my Spark Combo in November. I bought the new Pixel 2, so I decided to use the 6p only with the Spark. I factory reset the 6p, and only Spark related apps like DJI Go and B4UFly are now on it.

I do not use OTG. Latest 8.1 Android. Remote Control. Everything shows latest firmware.

This setup has been very solid for me. Once in a while the DJI app crashes, but other than that there has been very little lag. Honestly, I did not understand why everyone was making such a fuss over OTG since the wifi to the controller was working fine for me.

Yesterday while preparing for some weekend flights the DJI app updated to 4.2.4.

The DJI app is now basically unusable. It will lag and freeze for very long periods. Video will go garbled, then come back. The video will go in slow motion for upwards of 45 seconds. Then everything will work perfectly for brief periods, and again return to unusable.

The remote control still works fine, and the Spark is very responsive to it. I can now however, no longer use just the video feed to fly, as I cannot let it out of eyesight.

I just now synced up my flight records, stopped the DJI App, cleared the cache, cleared the data, uninstalled, rebooted the 6p, and reinstalled the app. No change. Unusable lag.

I checked here and the DJI forums and no one else seems to be reporting this same issue. Is this true? Anyone have any ideas what to do next?

Note that last weekend, before the update, everything was fine. Also, playing back the video, original and cached, does not show any problems. Lastly, looking at the WiFi spectrum in the app does not show any channel crowding.

Mitch in NYC
Same here and I’m on iOS. I am going to try otg. I heard it makes it not lag like it does. I thought something was wrong with the spark. I was getting lag a 600 feet out It was horrible and not fun to fly.

Update. I used my trusty ole otg cable and it’s working without lag. No issues whatsoever. They completely fixed it for me. The WiFi though is still a issue without it. So use the cord and be safe.

Mitch in NYC
What version of Go 4 were you on before it updated to 4.2.4?

sadly, those of us on Android cannot use the cord.
Really? I hope not. I just bought a Galaxy tablet to use for my Spark. I do have an iPhone but I wanted the larger screen the tablet provides. The Galaxy is replacing a tablet that broke. It ran windows which I use to program the flight controllers on my DIY drones. IOS is near impossible to use for that. I can't afford an iPad and the Galaxy Tab S3. I was hoping to use the Galaxy only.
Are there any hints or fixes to get the Galaxy to mate with the Spark and the RC? Is there a different tablet that would work with the spark that runs Android/ Windows? I can return the Galaxy.

You haven't seen the zillion threads and comments that OTG does not work on Android past Go4 version 4.1.15?
Lol. You are right. Ton of OTG/Android does not work threads.

But let's keep this thread on track please. The subject being on a relatively advanced Android device, a Nexus 6p with the latest OS and Software updates, with no other apps running on the device as it is dedicated to the Spark, the DJI app is unusable. This is after updating to 4.2.4.

Any suggestions?

Note today I took my wife's iPhone 6 that she upgraded from last month, factory wiped it, and reactivated. Installed DJI Go. I then used an older OTG cable I had (USB mini to USB female) connected to a USB male to Lightning. The DJI app works flawlessly (I tested the camera view on the iphone but no flight; will not have real test until this coming weekend).

The iPhone is not my preference however. WTF happened to the Nexus 6p app? Do I need to wipe the 6p again and reinstall? It was just done!

Really? I hope not. I just bought a Galaxy tablet to use for my Spark. I do have an iPhone but I wanted the larger screen the tablet provides. The Galaxy is replacing a tablet that broke. It ran windows which I use to program the flight controllers on my DIY drones. IOS is near impossible to use for that. I can't afford an iPad and the Galaxy Tab S3. I was hoping to use the Galaxy only.
Are there any hints or fixes to get the Galaxy to mate with the Spark and the RC? Is there a different tablet that would work with the spark that runs Android/ Windows? I can return the Galaxy.

Sorry, I meant to quote the post above. My general experience with 4.1.22+ is just horrible over WiFi on any Android device. I've tried my Tab S3, Pixel XL, and Nexus 6P. Same crappy lag on all.

Lol. You are right. Ton of OTG/Android does not work threads.

But let's keep this thread on track please. The subject being on a relatively advanced Android device, a Nexus 6p with the latest OS and Software updates, with no other apps running on the device as it is dedicated to the Spark, the DJI app is unusable. This is after updating to 4.2.4.

Any suggestions?

Note today I took my wife's iPhone 6 that she upgraded from last month, factory wiped it, and reactivated. Installed DJI Go. I then used an older OTG cable I had (USB mini to USB female) connected to a USB male to Lightning. The DJI app works flawlessly (I tested the camera view on the iphone but no flight; will not have real test until this coming weekend).

The iPhone is not my preference however. WTF happened to the Nexus 6p app? Do I need to wipe the 6p again and reinstall? It was just done!

I use both Android and IOS for my Spark. I am currently running 4.1.22 on my Android device. This is the best version I have ever used on the Spark with WIFI and not OTG. It works great with very little lag and I have had no issues with it. I did update to the 4.2.4 and I was having the same issues with lag and stuck screens. It seems the app is harder in total on my Android device. You might try ver. 4.1.22 on your
Nexus 6p and see if this works any better.

I use both Android and IOS for my Spark. I am currently running 4.1.22 on my Android device. This is the best version I have ever used on the Spark with WIFI and not OTG. It works great with very little lag and I have had no issues with it. I did update to the 4.2.4 and I was having the same issues with lag and stuck screens. It seems the app is harder in total on my Android device. You might try ver. 4.1.22 on your
Nexus 6p and see if this works any better.
Where is the best place to get the older APKs from?

Tnx

Sorry, I meant to quote the post above. My general experience with 4.1.22+ is just horrible over WiFi on any Android device. I've tried my Tab S3, Pixel XL, and Nexus 6P. Same crappy lag on all.
Nuts. I was hoping to hear the Tab S3 is the exception to the rule. Is OTG completely off the table? Is there another non IOS tablet I should look at?
I am in a tight NFZ (1.3 miles from the Pentagon) so I can't test my RC/Tablet/phone hookups without driving way out of town so I am relying on web info.
I just realized I may not have been clear before. I am not really interested in doing much flying without using the RC. Sorry. Thanks for being patient.:oops:

Nuts. I was hoping to hear the Tab S3 is the exception to the rule. Is OTG completely off the table? Is there another non IOS tablet I should look at?
I am in a tight NFZ (1.3 miles from the Pentagon) so I can't test my RC/Tablet/phone hookups without driving way out of town so I am relying on web info.
I just realized I may not have been clear before. I am not really interested in doing much flying without using the RC. Sorry. Thanks for being patient.:oops:

DJI has NOT said that Android is dead, yet! The ISO version of 4.2.4 is able to support the OTG. Right now in your case I would use version 4.1.15.

Reactions: SIDEHACK
.15 or .22? I was using .22 before the last update with no noticeable issue. Is
.15 better in some way?

.15 or .22? I was using .22 before the last update with no noticeable issue. Is
.15 better in some way?

.15 is the last working version with OTG. If you plan on using OTG go with it. If you plan on using WiFi the .22 is. the best.

Thanks.

How do the Spark/RC/Battery firmware updates relate to the app updates? If you downgrade the app will you still receive the last firmwares?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502