Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why did this happen?

jrambonnet

Join
Aug 1, 2017
I nearly had a heart attack flying today. Before I took off, I set the home point. I had flown it out near the waters edge and told it to come home. It just started to land straight down near the water! I was able to deactivate the return to home feature and fly it back manually but that was a scare for sure. Not exactly sure I know why it did that.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Is it my imagination, but, does it seem like Sparky just doesn't get along with flying over water?

Is it my imagination, but, does it seem like Sparky just doesn't get along with flying over water?
We'll have to wait and see what the flight log tells us ;)

I havn't racked up a lot of hours with Sparkie yet, but a lot of it has been over water and I've had no issues ..(touch wood)

Close. Maybe 15 feet.
Then your Spark worked as advertized. RTH immediately lands if the craft is still nearby, less than 65 ft as posted above. It doesn't make sense to climb maybe 400 ft to come home 50 ft ...

Moreover, RTH isn't guaranteed to be precise, if precision landing isn't active. GPS can always be some 10 m off ...

In order for precision landing to be active, climb straight 10 m after take off, and don't turn the aircraft when auto-landing. With precision landing, I see an accuracy of around 0.1 m which is spectacularly good.

Then your Spark worked as advertized. RTH immediately lands if the craft is still nearby, less than 65 ft as posted above. It doesn't make sense to climb maybe 400 ft to come home 50 ft ...

Moreover, RTH isn't guaranteed to be precise, if precision landing isn't active. GPS can always be some 10 m off ...

In order for precision landing to be active, climb straight 10 m after take off, and don't turn the aircraft when auto-landing. With precision landing, I see an accuracy of around 0.1 m which is spectacularly good.
If there is some visible pattern at take off location.

I did read the manual - it's a lot to take in all at once and this item was obviously missed or forgotten.
Ballsy.. flying near and over water on your first few flights..

Reactions: Harnanto
".....read and understand the manual........................ "
There is a lot to take in. These are complicated high technology instruments with many intricacies.
Give yourself time and take no chances until fully understood.
There are a great many posts citing flyaways, failures and the like.
Truth of the matter is that 95% of these are user error.
;)

Yes, it usually require some testing until you really understand how a function is really working, what are its parameters and limitations. Several functions need that you train yourself before using it. By example if you try to use the orbit mode during your sister wedding, you will need to label your video in YouTube as fail or crash and not my best day in life.
And you will learn everyday.

You were probably to close to home for the RTH to work. If the drone starts to descent when you press RTH cancel and move the drone further away and possibly add some altitude and try again. If no luck fly the drone manually.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast