Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Using the spark for still photography

rich777

Join
Nov 16, 2017
Hi everyone's just wondering if I upgrade from my spark to the Mavic air and I mainly use my spark for 13mp stills is there any point in me doing so as the Mavic air is also 13mp
Regards rich

Hi everyone's just wondering if I upgrade from my spark to the Mavic air and I mainly use my spark for 13mp stills is there any point in me doing so as the Mavic air is also 13mp
Regards rich

I'd hesitate in upgrading if all you do is stills. The Mavic Air is way better for videos.

Reactions: rich777
Totally agree. Unless you’re looking for more than just pictures. I was quite impressed with the Pano Horizontal feature found in the Spark, since I don’t care for my pictures to be in the classic 4x3 ratio. And, don’t want to be cropping them into the 16x9 ratio. The Pano works great for me.

I'd hesitate in upgrading if all you do is stills. The Mavic Air is way better for videos.
Thanks for your reply yes that's what I was thinking. You would have thought the MP count would be larger on the Mavic air seeing as it's 4K on the video.
Rich

My reason for upgrading was two fold, better performance in wind and RAW photo capability. So I would say absolutely yes if you want to have more latitude with editing your photos.

I have a Spark and am new to the game. Spent 20 years photographing weddings full time--done now. The Mavic Pro would have been better than the Spark but not worth it given we're so close to the Mavic Pro 2 and I already own a Spark anyway. It makes sense to wait. I don't care much about the video and I am more interested in infinite perspectives for my stills. My Nikon D3S takes gorgeous photos and its the same MP as the current Spark and Mavic Pro but it is a full frame sensor. 20MP definitely gives you a better image and worth the wait even if DJI doesn't increase the sensor size (shooting ISO 100). The Phantom 4 Pro would be an even better choice given increased sensor size and other features, but the overall size of the drone itself keeps me from buying it. So I am waiting and in the meantime having fun with the Spark; the Spark does a nice job--especially if you pick the right lighting conditions and vantage points.

Regards rich

I use my Spark mainly for stills as well. I also have a Phantom 3 standard. Whereas my Spark can only shoot JPEGs my P3S can shoot RAW images like the Mavic Air. As has been said there is much more latitude for editing a RAW image than a JPEG but in the right lighting conditions you can get some pretty good photos with the Spark. I guess the question is: Is having that extra ability to edit in RAW worth double the price you would pay for the Air? For me, it is just not worth it.

Chris

Mavic Air will be better due to RAW. Also, it can stitch together panoramas MUCH faster, in drone. They advertise 32MP sphere panos in 8s. Spark takes much longer.

I do mainly stills with all my drones. That said, there isnt enough on its own attracting me to the MA yet to make the jump. Maybe when the price drops.

Regards rich

Hello friend. A little off topic however how do your pictures come out during the night time and low light areas? Mind posting any? Would love to see some of your shots (day or night)!

Hello friend. A little off topic however how do your pictures come out during the night time and low light areas? Mind posting any? Would love to see some of your shots (day or night)!

Here are a few of the same shots i took with different iso settings:

DJI_0152.JPG
DJI_0158.JPG
DJI_0167.JPG

Hope this helps.

I use my Spark mainly for stills as well. I also have a Phantom 3 standard. Whereas my Spark can only shoot JPEGs my P3S can shoot RAW images like the Mavic Air. As has been said there is much more latitude for editing a RAW image than a JPEG but in the right lighting conditions you can get some pretty good photos with the Spark. I guess the question is: Is having that extra ability to edit in RAW worth double the price you would pay for the Air? For me, it is just not worth it.

Chris
Thx Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast