Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Travel to Turkey and back to the UK from Turkey

John Dwyer

Join
Jul 20, 2017
So after discussion with Thomas cook, I will be adopting the following travel plan with my spark on my holiday to turkey

Outbound, UK to Turkey
In Hold luggage
  • Charger and power cable
  • RC Controller
  • Prop guards
  • OTG and USB cables
  • Spare props
  • FMC carry case
  • Other accessories
In Carry on
  • Spark body stored in original foam box
  • 3x Spark batteries, stored in lipo safe bags, with contacts taped.

Return, Turkey to UK
In Hold luggage
  • Same as outgoing flight
In Carry on luggage
  • Spark body with battery installed, in original foam box
  • 2x spare batteries, stored in lipo safe bags, with contacts taped.

THIS POST IS SUBJECT TO ONGOING EDIT, PLEASE READ THROUGH THE ENTIRE THREAD FOR BETTER UNDERSTANDING.

Cheers,

JD

Last edited:
Hiya my fellow sparklers!
Have any of you had any experience in travelling to Turkey, and back again to the UK (US tales are of interest too)?

I was intending to take my Spark with me on a weeks Holiday to Bodrum in Turkey, I will not going anywhere near Istanbul or any cities, and will simply be using the spark either on the beach, hillside walks or otherwise in my hotel complex, I know drones have been used there before as I have seen pictures put up directly by the resort.

Up until yesterday I thought I was set, having researched the laws in Turkey, the spark will not be required to be registered, as it falls under the weight and speed limits, and seeing as I will be only using the spark for personal use, all is ok on that front.

Taking the spark and or batteries INTO Turkey seems ok too, simply pack the drone itself in either HOLD or CARRY ON and place batteries IN CARRY ON ONLY, each individually packed in a lipo safe bag with the terminals covered with electrical tape (overkill yes, but hey, what the hell)

The problem comes when you try to bring the spark and kit back to the UK (or US) FROM Turkey. It would seem that Turkish airports do not permit LIPO batteries onto either hold or carry on luggage bound for the UK/US
There are several grey areas to this, such as the .gov.uk website states that the rules only apply to large phones, tablets and laptops, saying that they must be checked into hold luggage, and onto the weird merry go round of can you can't you I have been on.

My current plan is to only take a single battery attached to the spark and pack that into the original polyfoam packaging the spark came in, and take that with me as carry on on the way out to Turkey, and in my suitcase in the hold on the way back to the UK.

I could go on and on about the research I have done, but for now I will wait for your Turkey travel stories!

Cheers

No real experience for Turkey but in any case, don't pack your battery in checked luggage in any case, it is again IATA rules for good safety reason.
The current issue you raise if more a political than a technical issue and taking only one battery is for sure less risky. Maybe having it separately packed could avoid you Spark to be catch?
If I would you, I would ask the airline for its position regarding this and print their answer. No sure if the security guys will take care of it but at least you would have an evidence you are no doing crazy thinks (if airlines says it is ok, that's clear).
It is always strange that rules to have lipo in airplane is defined by airlines but at airport it is security people not knowing what is the airline you fly policies that will investigate your batteries. Really better to have some written evidence for them that it is ok with the airline company.

Reactions: The Editor
Thomas cook have told me to place batteries in carry on on the way out, yet place in the hold on the way back.
The .gov site says no spare batteries at all either in hold or cabin.
I could always post it back?

I could always post it back?
No you cannot. Lithium Polymer packs/cells are classed as hazardous goods and must be labeled and packaged to strict rules.
Failure to do so will see the package seized and destroyed.
Lipos should NEVER be carried in the hold and whoever told you that at TC should be sacked!

Reactions: Dronason
Looks like the trip to turkey with the spark is fast becoming a no no, not because of the drone, just the lipos, the only thing I can see now is swallowing the cost of leaving the battery in turkey!

Looks like the trip to turkey with the spark is fast becoming a no no, not because of the drone, just the lipos, the only thing I can see now is swallowing the cost of leaving the battery in turkey!
Will,you be taking other photographic equipment with you? Camcorder, DSLR etc? If so just have all your photography/video gear in a camera bag and put the lipo in with that lot. The Spark can go in the hold (on the way back) without the battery.

Unfortunately not, other than camera phones, the spark is the only other camera I will be taking :(

Unfortunately not, other than camera phones, the spark is the only other camera I will be taking :(
In that case, lump all your chargers, mains power supplies (iPhone, iPad/tablet etc) as well as mains leads and continental adapters all in one bag along with the Spark pack.
If you are lucky it will just go through the X-Ray and they won't take much notice.
The worse that will happen is they will say "nope you can't take that on board" and will confiscate it.

I have just gotten off the phone and a well informed web chat with Thomas cook.....
Turns out the ban from turkey was lifted on the 10th August, and I am 100% legit able to take lipo batteries with me from turkey to the UK, currently the only restrictions are now from Egypt and the Middle East.
I will update my first post later, and also post screen shots from my chat with Thomas Cook, I would also post the recorded phone call, all of which I will be taking as evidence on my holiday hahahaha

I have just gotten off the phone and a well informed web chat with Thomas cook.....
Turns out the ban from turkey was lifted on the 10th August, and I am 100% legit able to take lipo batteries with me from turkey to the UK, currently the only restrictions are now from Egypt and the Middle East.
I will update my first post later, and also post screen shots from my chat with Thomas Cook, I would also post the recorded phone call, all of which I will be taking as evidence on my holiday hahahaha
I hope this wasn't the same TC representative that told you it's OK to put Lipos in the hold! :p:rolleyes:

Hahaha, I did double check, and it wasn't, in fact the first rep, was in a physical store in my home town, I thought it best to call the proper people up!

Good advise is not to arrive at airport and go through security at last minute. You could easily loose half an hour at security if you are in a bad day.

Ok so travelling out today, 4th September, all non essential kit in my hold bag, drone and 3 lipo batteries in battery safe bags ready in my carry on!
Wish me luck!

No men in black yet, went through Gatwick security absolutely no problems whatsoever, bag was opened, and waved through so all ok so far.

Well, end of day one, a little disappointed, for only two reasons, firstly, the wind, I am only allowed to fly down near the beach at my resort, so understandably the beach is the logical spot, and the wind was horrific, even with great gps hold it wanted to pull away from where it was, so was only able to go up about 25m before my ring piece started to twitch
Secondly, it appears that Turkey in an EC country, not FCC :(
Anyway, a couple pics of the resort....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh