Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Training at home, please help

thewhatever

Join
Nov 8, 2017
Hello
I will finally get my Spark in the coming 2 days, unfortunetely I can't go outdoor for now because of a surgery, I will have to train myself droning my first drone in my appartement.for a little month
What are the steps I should use for a proper training at home?
We have some carpets on the floor, can these help?

Sorry to hear about your surgery and recovery issues. In all honesty... flying indoors is a frustrating PIA and translates no practical skills for future outdoor flying. Lack of GPS, low ceilings, walls and other obstacles all contribute to drone or household damage. The only way to learn your drone is to spent hours learning it's capabilities and more hours building your familiarity and confidence. After just a few minutes flying indoors you'll run into severe limitations and run out of things to explore.

Give it a try - but don't get discouraged because OUTDOORS is where it's at. I hope you have a speedy recovery and get to flying soon.

Reactions: thewhatever
I will have to train myself droning my first drone in my appartement.

Although it's sort of game like, there is a flight simulator in the Spark that will allow you to get familiar with the telementry on the screen, which is useful when flying the Spark to the point when it's just a dot in the sky.
It will also train you on the use of the attitude screen(radar) and the orientation of the Spark.
The only drawback to the simulator is that the Spark has to be powered up to access it.
But you do get to see the lights flash and the hear the cooling fan run. :)

Sorry to hear about your surgery and recovery issues. In all honesty... flying indoors is a frustrating PIA and translates no practical skills for future outdoor flying. Lack of GPS, low ceilings, walls and other obstacles all contribute to drone or household damage. The only way to learn your drone is to spent hours learning it's capabilities and more hours building your familiarity and confidence. After just a few minutes flying indoors you'll run into severe limitations and run out of things to explore.

Give it a try - but don't get discouraged because OUTDOORS is where it's at. I hope you have a speedy recovery and get to flying soon.

Thanks,
I hope to recover well too.
I will try a start at home and as soon as I can drive again I will go to a big outdoor university parking I know, it should be empty on weekends

Last edited:
Although it's sort of game like, there is a flight simulator in the Spark that will allow you to get familiar with the telementry on the screen, which is useful when flying the Spark to the point when it's just a dot in the sky.
It will also train you on the use of the attitude screen(radar) and the orientation of the Spark.
The only drawback to the simulator is that the Spark has to be powered up to access it.
But you do get to see the lights flash and the hear the cooling fan run. :)

If you do decide to use the simulator, take the propellers off the drone... its much safer that way.

If you do decide to use the simulator, take the propellers off the drone... its much safer that way.

Good point, but when in the simulator, the motors won't start on the Spark.
But yes it's better to be safe than sorry, just in case there's a software glitch and it decides to launch in real time.
Yikes! :eek:

Reactions: Haggi
In addition, if this is your first...take it low and slow.
Can't go wrong with that.
In perspective, I started with a "disposable" SYMA X5C.
In my point of view, it is better to train inside with a non-GPS drone because you learn the basic stick maneuvers without worrying about the wind throwing you off.
Master that, then go outside for small hops in altitude.

Like I said, started small and wound up building my own before I bought a Spark.
Here is what progression looks like - results may vary :D
One thing to keep in mind, I had no idea what I was capturing for my entire first year and a few months after.
No First Person View (FPV) equipment.

Go into the app and put the Spark in tripod mode while flying indoors. It will reduce greatly the stick commands, making it easier to navigate indoors while still giving you experience in flying your Spark. Also, prop guards.

Good point, but when in the simulator, the motors won't start on the Spark.
But yes it's better to be safe than sorry, just in case there's a software glitch and it decides to launch in real time.
Yikes! :eek:

Yep, specially that it's a refurbished unit, so perhaps it had a buggy software

In addition, if this is your first...take it low and slow.
Can't go wrong with that.
In perspective, I started with a "disposable" SYMA X5C.
In my point of view, it is better to train inside with a non-GPS drone because you learn the basic stick maneuvers without worrying about the wind throwing you off.
Master that, then go outside for small hops in altitude.

Like I said, started small and wound up building my own before I bought a Spark.
Here is what progression looks like - results may vary :D
One thing to keep in mind, I had no idea what I was capturing for my entire first year and a few months after.
No First Person View (FPV) equipment.

Great video ....

Here's one of my early ones.... Certainly makes one appreciate the stability of a Spark!
This is actually my third flight ever.... Music by me.

Reactions: pmshop
I fly my spark indoors at home. It uses VPS for stability. I have hit walls and ceiling and my spark is still flying. I have prop guards which help keep the spark flying after bumping into walls. I also have obstacle avoidance off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis