Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

The End is near?

Just seen that myself. It would be so sad if that is the case. I enjoy flying this little craft, and it would be a shame so ma y others would not have that experience.

DJI needs an introductory drone. I don't consider dropping $800 USD for just the Mavic Air and controller an entry drone. So unless there is a new entry level replacement, I do not believe DJI is planning on dropping the Spark line. It could be the dealers are clearing them out because the profit margin isn't great or a new version of the Spark is coming (doubtful since it's been less than a year since the first release).

I can see the price of the Spark dropping to somewhere more introductory, but not sure it will be phased out too quickly.

But who knows. Stranger things have happened, like Apple killing the iPhone X after less than a year...

Huh, it must be true if its on the internet....

DJI is not going to abandon an entry level drone at an entry level price. Maybe one day there will be a successor to the Spark, but it sure isn’t the Mavic Air...

I would think some people are jumping to the conclusion that the Mavic Air is the new Spark, but why would you drop your entry level drone? Drop the price to give you a suitable gap between your Spark, Air and Pro in the small drone space, absolutely yes, but not everyone wants 4K etc. or can afford £800 for an Air, if they drop it I'd be very surprised but it could be that this version was a market share tester, if the market isn't big enough then it could well be retired, it could be that they saw too many sales lost to the Spark that would previously have gone to the Pro hence the lower price point for the Air or Spark 2 is closer than we think and they are looking to shed some weight like the writer of that piece hoped.

One thing is for sure, I got Air envy until I realised that my Spark can do 360s, now in love with it all over again :) even if they stop selling and eventually supporting it I will still keep it as my 2nd or may then even my 3rd drone :)

Reactions: Sparkbart
LOL at the video in that link. Tip#1: how to arrange your antennas for the WORST POSSIBLE RANGE.

and surely his tip about the gimbal requires the drone to be on a 100% level surface first, if I just stick my drone on the ground and level the gimbal to what the camera sees and then take off, isn't it now definitely off for the whole flight ;-)

DJI needs an introductory drone.

I agree, now is the time for them to kill two birds with one stone and develop a sub 250g little brother for the Spark.

That would put it under the new upcoming regulatory limits in the UK and give buyers an excuse to trade up to the Air later when they become more proficient pilots.

I would think some people are jumping to the conclusion that the Mavic Air is the new Spark, but why would you drop your entry level drone? Drop the price to give you a suitable gap between your Spark, Air and Pro in the small drone space, absolutely yes, but not everyone wants 4K etc. or can afford £800 for an Air, if they drop it I'd be very surprised but it could be that this version was a market share tester, if the market isn't big enough then it could well be retired, it could be that they saw too many sales lost to the Spark that would previously have gone to the Pro hence the lower price point for the Air or Spark 2 is closer than we think and they are looking to shed some weight like the writer of that piece hoped.

One thing is for sure, I got Air envy until I realised that my Spark can do 360s, now in love with it all over again :) even if they stop selling and eventually supporting it I will still keep it as my 2nd or may then even my 3rd drone :)

I think they'll be looking at making a 250g drone to sneak in under the new guidelines, maybe as a Spark 2/pro. I can't see them abandoning the Spark line. It has had its faults, but it's immensely popular. I love mine, and I especially like its portability and 'friendly' look. I've never had a single complaint about flying it anywhere. It's a great amabassador for friendly and responsible drone flights.

Reactions: Texas Gonzo
I don't think you can even call that an article. It looks like an off the cuff gossip assumption - not even a rumor. In a nutshell the guy is guessing the spark is dead because dealers have been having sales on sparks and "some" (no names mentioned) are claiming they won't be restocking. Sounds like click bait to me.

I see all the major stores I checked (BestBuy, Amazon, Walmart) all have it in stock at normal retail prices in every color and style. If the product is being discontinued or fire saled, I'd expect to see some evidence of that there.

As several others have mentioned, the Spark is DJI's gateway drug that's cheap enough that people don't feel like they're making a huge, expensive gamble on a new hobby. I've been debating buying an entry level FPV racing kit for a while because I could do so under $500. When I spotted a great price on the Spark fly more kit in that price range, I jumped on it. I don't actually have much interest in racing drones, but the FPV aspect had me hooked. Since the Spark covers that with very forgiving flight characteristics at the right price point, I'm now a happy DJI customer.

If my only choice from DJI was $1,000 or more for a fly more kit, I wouldn't have considered it because I'd feel it's too much to risk in the event I hate it or insta-crash it into the ocean.

Reactions: pfhemi
I agree, now is the time for them to kill two birds with one stone and develop a sub 250g little brother for the Spark.

That would put it under the new upcoming regulatory limits in the UK and give buyers an excuse to trade up to the Air later when they become more proficient pilots.
There is the Tello coming out but that is more of a toy.

Alpine white fly more has been marked ''D'' for discontinued at Micro center since before 12-15-17, and its been on sale for $399 since December 1st,(fly more combo, yes!!), and still ''in store'' for $399.. all other colors fly more pkg's just dropped to $499 on Feb 1st... they are purging.....

Reactions: lightbg
[QUOTE="One thing is for sure, I got Air envy until I realised that my Spark can do 360s, now in love with it all over again :) even if they stop selling and eventually supporting it I will still keep it as my 2nd or may then even my 3rd drone :)[/QUOTE]

Do you mean 360 flips / rolls or 360 panoramic pictures.
If it’s flips / rolls ? How do you unlock the drone to achieve this. I only use my spark for the enjoyment of flying around, I never take pics or videos these days.

You can PM me if you like.

I'm guessing he means pictures as there is no way I know of (without hacking) to do flips or rolls...

I think I understand where you are coming from. After you've had an AP drone for awhile and you've played with the features, flown and captured everything in your neighborhood, it does get a bit dull/boring. So I bought and got into FPV drones. FPV drones are amazing and a thrill to fly. I don't need much space and I get out and fly, flips, rolls, around trees, gates, under stuff, over stuff. Its awesome!

Now does that mean I've lost my taste for flying my DJI drones? NOPE. I use my DJI drones for AP. I take one of them with me on my travels, I take one with me on the back of my motorcycle. I always bring one with me just in case a cool photo op presents itself...

Get yourself an FPV drone. It takes some practice, but its a blast!

[QUOTE="One thing is for sure, I got Air envy until I realised that my Spark can do 360s, now in love with it all over again :) even if they stop selling and eventually supporting it I will still keep it as my 2nd or may then even my 3rd drone :)

If it’s flips / rolls ? How do you unlock the drone to achieve this. I only use my spark for the enjoyment of flying around, I never take pics or videos these days.

You can PM me if you like.[/QUOTE]

Got one of those myself. Sure is a learning curve, and 8 am still on the simulator (weather problems), but I think it will help me fly my Spark and Phantoms better , especially in ATTI.

[QUOTE="One thing is for sure, I got Air envy until I realised that my Spark can do 360s, now in love with it all over again :) even if they stop selling and eventually supporting it I will still keep it as my 2nd or may then even my 3rd drone :)

You can PM me if you like.[/QUOTE]

I meant 360 panoramas, which is one of my things, I do 360 spherical photography with a Ricoh Theta V and my GoPro, being able to do them with my spark allows a whole new perspective.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis