Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark OTG set-up not working

cabahugvince

Join
Nov 28, 2018
Hey guys, just got my first drone. I have the DJI Spark Fly-more combo. All are up-to-date and everything works fine EXCEPT for the otg cable set-up. I turn on the AC 1st, turn on the RC 2nd then connect the otg cable but NOTHING HAPPENS. It doesn't connect at all, already tried turning on the airplane mode and still nothing. Can anyone help me out? cause I really want to use the otg cable as a mode of connection between my phone and RC to my spark. Thanks guys [emoji3]1543457377260.jpg

Here's how we do our setup (and the order may not be critical):

Connect Cable to both devices
Power on Transmitter
Power on Tablet/Device
Power on aircraft

It's possible you have a faulty cable so try an alternate cable if possible.

Good luck :)

Reactions: cabahugvince
Here's another thread with some additional info as well :)

Otg cable

Here's how we do our setup (and the order may not be critical):

Connect Cable to both devices
Power on Transmitter
Power on Tablet/Device
Power on aircraft

It's possible you have a faulty cable so try an alternate cable if possible.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply. I tried using the cable that came with the combo, the cable used to charge the spark itself and connected it to my phone through the otg usb adaptor for my Samsung Galaxy S9. Already tried using 2 cables and still doesn't work. The usb option on my phone says "High powered device connected. Cannot access the device. Device needs external power supply"

You should probably explore the OTG settings of your phone further or try a different phone.

I got my SPARK a month back and completed the initial set-up using only Wi-Fi.
Few days later when I discovered about the OTG way being more stable, I used the USB cable of the Spark charger to connect my phone (Moto E4 Plus) and the controller via a mini USB to USB adapter.
When I first connected the cable, I got a prompt asking what the phone should do when it detects the cable connection. I selected "Launch Go4 app".

Now whenever I go flying, I follow this sequence -

1. Turn OFF WiFi on phone.
2. Switch to Airplane mode (optional step).
3. Connect phone and controller via charger USB cable.
4. Power ON Controller.
5. Power ON Spark.

As soon as the connection between the drone and controller is established and the RED light on the controller turns GREEN, the Go4 app launches automatically.

You should probably explore the OTG settings of your phone further or try a different phone.

I got my SPARK a month back and completed the initial set-up using only Wi-Fi.
Few days later when I discovered about the OTG way being more stable, I used the USB cable of the Spark charger to connect my phone (Moto E4 Plus) and the controller via a mini USB to USB adapter.
When I first connected the cable, I got a prompt asking what the phone should do when it detects the cable connection. I selected "Launch Go4 app".

Now whenever I go flying, I follow this sequence -

1. Turn OFF WiFi on phone.
2. Switch to Airplane mode (optional step).
3. Connect phone and controller via charger USB cable.
4. Power ON Controller.
5. Power ON Spark.

As soon as the connection between the drone and controller is established and the RED light on the controller turns GREEN, the Go4 app launches automatically.
Thanks for the tip. I'll do it when the otg cable that I ordered online which is a direct usb to usb type c connector next week. Hopefully I can get it to work so I won't have any problem with connections at all and I don't want to lose my spark due to bad connections.

I use DJI otg cable, with an ordinary data cable connected to my device.

Both iOS and Android devices are working without issues.

I don't have an S9, but I didn't understand the way you connect it.
Don't you have an ordinary charge cable, to connect on Dji's otg cable-adapter?

Otg cables have polarity, and otg end must be connected on the RC.

I only have the cable for charging the spark and I connect it to my phone through an adaptor which came with my phone. The other problem I have is that my phone can't connect to the controller. I tried changing the usb connection options on the notification bar but still doesn't work. I ordered a cable which is a direct usb to usb type c cable which should come in next week. Hopefully I can get it to work

I only have the cable for charging the spark and I connect it to my phone through an adaptor which came with my phone. The other problem I have is that my phone can't connect to the controller. I tried changing the usb connection options on the notification bar but still doesn't work. I ordered a cable which is a direct usb to usb type c cable which should come in next week. Hopefully I can get it to work
I understand that you haven't an OTG cable, and I don't know if the cable you ordered is otg too.

Otg cable is a special cable, with a specific end going to RC, and the other going to your device.

Make sure you ordered an otg cable, search Amazon for "Spark otg cable".

I understand that you haven't an OTG cable, and I don't know if the cable you ordered is otg too.

Otg cable is a special cable, with a specific end going to RC, and the other going to your device.

Make sure you ordered an otg cable, like these.
Amazon.com: spark otg cable
I think so 'cause what I have right now are data cables and the the only otg I have right now is for my phone. Hopefully it'll work once the cable arrives. Thanks for the help

I have a Note8 and The OTG cables work just fine. I can't change the "USB settings" from anything but charging either. It will not "stick" just goes back to charging It works so I am not worried about it...
If I remember right, you have to enable "USB debugging" for the phone...It is in the "developer's options" in the settings menu.

It's important to note that there IS a difference between a "regular" data cable and an OTG cable. You can not tell the difference from looking at the cable unless you dig into the connector to see how it's wired inside.

Even when you take the cable apart there is only a single difference between the two but it is a significant difference. It's all in how the devices determine who is Host and who is "just" a device.

*Note: Pin #4 labeled as "Sense" is also known as the ID Pin and it's left OPEN/Floating in a regular USB Data cable. For OTG the ID Pin is connected to the Ground Pin and the device handles this differently internally.

I'm not sure why the image did NOT show up in my original post but none-the-less here it is. It should help make sense of what I was trying to explain....

main-qimg-b388b2fddb25b44e77e868c4346ac25b.webp
OTG_Cable.jpg

Last edited:

I have been using a MicroUSB-to-USB OTG adapter on my RC directly.
It looks something like the pic below.
Along with that, I use the USB cable of the SPARK charger. Works perfectly.

Never knew that OTG connections are direction specific though.
Thanks for the info.
2017-digital-micro-usb-to-usb-otg-adapter.jpg

I have been using a MicroUSB-to-USB OTG adapter on my RC directly.
It looks something like the pic below.
Along with that, I use the USB cable of the SPARK charger. Works perfectly.

Never knew that OTG connections are direction specific though.
Thanks for the info.
View attachment 7810
Me too, BigAl07 cleared it up for me so thanks to him. I use the same one like that too but it's connected directly to my phone which is a USB type C port. Maybe I need to make the connection in reverse. I already bought a cheap otg cable off of amazon which is a direct cable from micro usb to usb type c cable. Hopefully I can get it to work. Thanks

It's important to note that there IS a difference between a "regular" data cable and an OTG cable. You can not tell the difference from looking at the cable unless you dig into the connector to see how it's wired inside.

Even when you take the cable apart there is only a single difference between the two but it is a significant difference. It's all in how the devices determine who is Host and who is "just" a device.

*Note: Pin #4 labeled as "Sense" is also known as the ID Pin and it's left OPEN/Floating in a regular USB Data cable. For OTG the ID Pin is connected to the Ground Pin and the device handles this differently internally.

main-qimg-b388b2fddb25b44e77e868c4346ac25b.webp
Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I already ordered a direct micro usb to usb type C cable from amazon and will arrive next week. Hopefully it will solve my problem. Thanks for the help and tips

Reactions: BigAl07
Me too, BigAl07 cleared it up for me so thanks to him. I use the same one like that too but it's connected directly to my phone which is a USB type C port. Maybe I need to make the connection in reverse. I already bought a cheap otg cable off of amazon which is a direct cable from micro usb to usb type c cable. Hopefully I can get it to work. Thanks
The OTG cable has to be connected to the remote. The otg adapter that came with your S9 is running the singal backwards. You need a micro USB otg to USB C cable. When setup properly, the remote should be charging the phone, this cannot be turned off on Android unless it is rooted.

I'm not saying you should get this exact cable, I'm not sure of the quality. This is the type of cable that you should be looking for.
I already ordered a direct cable from amazon. Pic below. It's a direct micro usb to usb type C cable and it has good reviews. It'll arrive next week and hopefully it will work by then. ThanksScreenshot_20181129-224300_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf