Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark - How to tilt camera up.

ZPFunk

Join
Jan 12, 2018
For all those who are wondering how to get the sparks camera to tilt up. Dont give up! It is possible to tilt the camera up past the horizon line by asjusting settings in the Go 4 app. I made this video explaining how to do it. Hope it helps.

Please read the description.

Last edited:
For those saying youre going to damage something, heres my conversation with DJI customer service. If you dont mind the slow speed of Tripod mode, by all means, do what makes sense for you. Im simply putting it out there for those intersted in exploring other uses with their spark.

20180320_090813.png20180320_090921.png

Reactions: Pe11e
Wow! Great little pearl of wisdom! Will employ this in my settings. How about the snap function. I have one of my custom buttons set up for that. Does it adversely affect that motion?
Thx

Reactions: ZPFunk
I do a lot of flying in woods with a lot of spanish moss. It’s everywhere in Florida. I can see the advantage of being able to tilt up a little further than what I have now.
In those situations, you can’t just gain altitude without hitting branches and moss. The higher elevation in the camera angle would work.
I'm sure, eventually other scenarios will popup. It’s just nice to know .
Interesting enough, i always questioned the extra ticks on the menu slider. Kept asking myself, why would they have the extra ticks if you can’t use them. Now we know we can.

I do a lot of flying in woods with a lot of spanish moss. It’s everywhere in Florida. I can see the advantage of being able to tilt up a little further than what I have now...

We have some of that too, just over the weekend I got a shot of spanish moss and I can see were tilt up camera could have help.
Spanish moss

Wow! Great little pearl of wisdom! Will employ this in my settings. How about the snap function. I have one of my custom buttons set up for that. Does it adversely affect that motion?
Thx
Im not sure, I can test it out for you and let you know. I dont imagine it should, seeing as how its a built in function for the spark, however i would still undershoot +10.0 by a few degrees to be sure theres not too much stress on the motors etc...

Last edited:
I have decided to do a follow-up video. Im going to take one of my sparks out and put the gimbal pitch up, and run it through some tests. If you want to know how anything works with it set like that, let me know and i'll try it out.

So far the tests you have asked me to perform are as follows.
1. Will it work with Snap Function?

2. Can you still point the camera straight down?

3. Tripod mode VS Gimbal Calibration.

4. Can the gimbal still stabilize when breaking?

If you have any further concerns, let me know and i'll add it to the list.

Last edited:
Interesting enough, i always questioned the extra ticks on the menu slider. Kept asking myself, why would they have the extra ticks if you can’t use them. Now we know we can.

Those extra ticks are reserved for the sphere / pano features.

I would think the ticks are mechanically reserved for gimble stabilization. I would wonder if the gimble can still stabilize as well when braking.

All excellent observations! Also thx for checking the snap function. Haven’t been at home to try it out yet. Glad it works though.
Cheers guys

All excellent observations! Also thx for checking the snap function. Haven’t been at home to try it out yet. Glad it works though.
Cheers guys
I havent had a chance to check it yet. As soon as I get a chance, Im going to check all the things everyone was asking about, including the snap function. Thanks

I would think the ticks are mechanically reserved for gimble stabilization. I would wonder if the gimble can still stabilize as well when braking.
It should stay stable, as these settings are meant to be used in the event you find your gimbal horizon is off center and wish to make adjustments, it is simply a way to increase the gimbals current range of motion, and as such, everything should be expected to function as it would during normal flight. As soon as i get a chance i will test that also, i have added it to the list of things to test out in my post earlier in this thread.

Update: I tested it out, and found out more information. I wasnt able to record my screen, as the connection on my Ipad Mini 2 was terrible even though it was connected through OTG. I do have the footage from the spark so maybe i could upload that.

I ran these tests outside in pretty high winds.
I set the pitch to 8, as per DJI suggestion. I decided not to even bother setting the pitch above that because I feel there isnt really a need for any of us to push the gimbal on the spark that far without a good reason, It is ok occasionally but could cause problems with extended use, so id save it for something special. Or just use tripod mode if you dont plan filming action shots or needing to fly fast but still need to pitch the camera up.

1. I noticed that snapping worked just as expected without any observable adverse performance.

2. I noticed that I could in fact point the Gimbal straight down.

3. The speed at which the gimbal rotates in tripod mode is not ideal for some situations where fast panning/tilting/pitching the camera up is the desired effect.

4. The gimbal performed as usual when breaking, even in high wind.

Reactions: koffe
I'd rather get the technical info from an engineer.
I highly recommend tripod mode.
Gimbal motor overload warning is just that - you are overloading the gimbal motors which can lead to damage.
Please quit spreading this bad info ZDFunk. We had this discussion in YouTube.

But by all means if you want to potentially ruin your craft by the method recommended in the video, its your money!

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is your info to the contrary? You spread fear, but offer no real world examples to support yourself, if you would rather talk to an engineer, then go do it. Show us your findings. If you would rather use tripod mode, go for it. Im comfortable doing it and you know the best part, anyone who decides they want to do it, is making a concious decision to do it as well. It is a built in function of the software, not some mod, or hack. You have nothing more than an eventual potentiality to support yourself, so back off, and let me use my money how I please.

Last edited:
Reactions: koffe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar