Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark flyaway update, response from DJI - Bad news

I would have brought the spark back, if I had control. The problem is that I did not have control of it at that point. The spark was unresponsive to any input, and all I could do was helplessly watch it fly into the tree. Also, regarding DJI, if they sell so many products in English speaking countries....
That seems to be a very common occurrence of the Spark.

Reactions: mrcruiser
Several people have reported here that they have gotten free replacements from DJI after fly aways....They probably get so many that ARE pilot error that it makes it a little difficult to distinguish....I hope to never have to find out!

Reactions: Sparksupersonic
Not to keep ranting, but what really burns me is DJI's contention that the crash was caused by "stick error" on my part, because, you know, I throttled down AFTER the Spark flew out of control and struck a tree. Had this caused injury or property damage (other than to the Spark), this would be a much different narrative, all around. I've let the Twittersphere know of my displeasure, and if I can help others with my misfortune, then maybe something good can come of this.
Don't blame yourself. I think you made the right decision in throttling down the Spark instead of having it fly away.

Pretty disappointing to not want to fly a new drone. Speaks to the quality of dji's mass production and lack of QA. Not to mention their "customer disservice " Never going to buy anything dji again

Just a question, perhaps an uninformed one as I'm a very new pilot, but how can you throttle down the plane if you don't have control? Perhaps that's DJI's reasoning. The drone was in P-GPS and responsive (presumably to your input). Then once hitting the tree, the logs show you throttled down. I can see where this would be a hard case to prove but I've got to believe the guys who do log analysis should be able to shed more light.

Sorry for the hassle Punkinv. I agree you should develop your case/argument and go back to them.

The log shows the stick movement, but not whether the sticks affected the aircraft. You can see where the drone was oriented at an odd angle when flying toward the tree. I did not orient it that way, nor did I direct toward the tree. It flew on its own.

Reactions: Pearson
The above link did not work? The actual drone is at DJI in Texas (with my controller), waiting to be shipped back to me without being repaired, per my request. The log was pulled from my DJI app. Does this attachment help?
Ah, that's too bad. The DAT log from the drone would likely show if the compass was being negatively affected by some type of external source.

My 1st drone was a $30 toy that I kept crashing into walls when j tried to learn indoors. So it took to a big park where I never saw it again after 1st take off. Then a guy showed me his Spark Wow. My new Spark lasted a lot longer but after losing that bird and a 2nd spark to flyaways (many hours of flying time and trying to be careful) I'm wondering if upgrading to say a mavic or phantom I'd have better luck or just be out more money after flyaway. (Are the higher end drones less susceptible to flyaway) Any thoughts?

I have a lot of carefree time on my mavic pro. The mishap with the spark has caused me to look at everything DJI makes with a jaundiced eye.

I have a lot of carefree time on my mavic pro. The mishap with the spark has caused me to look at everything DJI makes with a jaundiced eye.

That's probably something good to say to DJI if you decide to try again, although maybe you already did....Just thinking they might give you a little more credibility if they knew you were a seasoned pilot. It does seem this happens too often and I know I worry every flight I take!

Better luck with the MP, but I read about them flying off too.

I also had a flyaway with my spark last year, only one month after I bought it. It happened during an active track mission when I was only 5 meters away from the AC. The new Go4 app version which officially supported the OTG connection for the Spark was just released and I was using that. The remote disconnected and the AC ascended up a little bit and with full throttle it hit the tree next to it.
I had luck with the DJI CS, they replaced my AC free of charge but the whole process took almost a month. They advised though not to use the OTG connection.

After the incident I exclusively used the Mod app which can be found in this forum with OTG connection. It was rock solid all the time until I sold my spark and replaced it with the Mavic Air.

I highly recommend to everyone to look into the Mod app which can also offer cinematic mode that I was using constantly. It makes the Spark a really reliable drone according to my experience.

Guys, I also had fly away problems about a year ago. What I did to fix it was to calibrate the compass each time I flew. Even when I swap batteries. Since I did that I had not had a fly away. It happened to me about 3 or 4 times before calibration. Luckily it was high up in the country side.

Guys, I also had fly away problems about a year ago. What I did to fix it was to calibrate the compass each time I flew. Even when I swap batteries. Since I did that I had not had a fly away. It happened to me about 3 or 4 times before calibration. Luckily it was high up in the country side.
Calibrating compass, before every flight, is not a good idea.

If you calibrate in an area with interference (even a little), once Spark will be airborne, it will become unpredictable (without error message).

Calibrate compass once, in a interference free place, with no electronics on you, and that's it.

Yes, I have found this is usually the case, the pilot does not always heed the warnings early enough ?

Also just a little advise when dealing with DJI CS, be reserved, polite & don't get overly upset ?
Explain again the steps of the the scenario, like when you actually made the downward action on the stick, before or after the crash, sometimes they have small problems with english translation & your word in english meanings.
If you ask them to revalidate the checking of the AC they will, but have patience in explaining exactly how you feel it happened, to get up them is not the way to succeed in Chinese business !

I can relate to your frustration, about the situation and their response, but I’d agree about the wording when writing to them about it. Certainly nothing wrong with being assertive, but I agree write in a detailed way that paints of a picture of you being a responsible flyer, taking precautions before and when taking off, and so on. I believe the way it’s worded matters with this business, if it was in fact their products’ fault. Not suggesting you weren’t polite dealing with them either, but maybe rewrite them.

I had luck with the DJI CS, they replaced my AC free of charge but the whole process took almost a month. They advised though not to use the OTG connection.
Wow !, so they advised not to use the OTG connection .DJI seems to have a problem in resolving the OTG connection problem for quite a while now . I've seen older versions (version 4.2.12 ) of the Go4 app on apkmirror that tried to resolve the OTG connection bugs and it sounds like they've just given up.
DJI Go 4 APK Version History - Page 2 - APK4Fun

MSinger,
The above link did not work? The actual drone is at DJI in Texas (with my controller), waiting to be shipped back to me without being repaired, per my request. The log was pulled from my DJI app. Does this attachment help?
I looked at the .txt which is consistent with Yaw being incorrectly initialized. There is a .DAT on the device running the Go App. It will have the data to determine if Yaw wasn't initialized correctly. Look here to see how to retrieve that .DAT. It will be the .....FLY098.DAT file.

Reactions: canadianstarman
For some reason DJI is ignoring the flyaway problem that so many spark owners are experiencing ! The last time that this was brought up the post disappeared. Why can't they update the software or something to help solve all of these flyaways?
The real issue here may be the disappearing post.

Reactions: windryder
A few times my spark on return almost to me stops responding
The RTH did work or I would have lost the spark at least 2-3x
The end result is the same. The bird looks good on take off
Flight far and away no problems then allmost back & oh no not responding again.

My Spark flew away out of control just after getting an update, and, luckily struck a tree instead of continuing its path toward more populated areas. I complained to DJI and sent the drone to them for evaluation. Here is there reply:

Thank you for your patience.

This is Ken from Technical Support team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

Here's the result of the data analysis on your case number: CAS-2657751-T9L9F7.

1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input.
2. Unit recorded external impact, at relative height(m) and flight time: 99 secs 32 meters
3. User commanded throttle down and crashed
4. Unit obstacle avoidance cannot tree branches
Incident date: 2019 01 05
Incident GPS location: REDACTED

According to the analysis, the the incident was not caused by any product malfunction.

We can still proceed with the repair, however, you will cover the repair charges.

Your understanding and and cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Ken
DJI Technical Support

So, they are holding me responsible, saying it was a user stick error, because I throttled down, AFTER the Spark flew out of control and struck a tree! They want to charge me $109.00 for the repair, which I refuse to pay, since it was not my fault. "External Impact" is not a crash, apparently. The crash happens after the Spark drops like a sack of potatoes AFTER the "External Impact." I have hours of flying experience on a Mavic Pro, and thought a Spark might be a fun supplement. Well, I would never trust a Spark again, because "ready to fly" may actually mean, "ready to fly away." I would discourage anyone from purchasing a Spark and am evaluating my choice of the Mavic Pro, which could cause even more mayhem if it flew out of control as the Spark did. This consumer's confidence in DJI products is very low. Look for my Spark on eBay for sale for parts in the near future.
I had a fly off also. And dji told me it must not have had gps. I asked them if there was no gps then why can you see me on the map durring the fly away? They couldnt qnswet me. Ive argued with them for over a year now. I truly believe that there needs to be a class action brought against them. Tjey knew and know there was a problem withthe spark or honeatly why would they discontinue production of it? Especially when they still make much older models.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast