Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

spark crashed into the river

stuartdew

Join
Oct 22, 2018
was flying over a river with full GPS and plenty of battery left in the tank at about 100 metres when the battery fell out (didnt know that it was a known issue of the spark at the time) and it went crashing into the river with no hope of recovery contacted DJI and they offered me 30% off a new one after reviewing my flight logs.

while i do think thats a great response from them and will be taking up the offer im wondering who else has dealt with DJI on this kind of issue and have they been offered better like a replacement?

DJI is not great at admitting errors or offer an appropriate replacement policy unless proven to be at fault (which is very hard).

Sparks are very cheap these days, I would not wait for DJI to support you.

Reactions: windryder
I am sorry for your loss.

The units sold now have a second generation battery with different clip configuration and stronger springs. Those battery clips are no longer necessary. They fixed that problem over a year ago.

However if you don't fully disengage clips upon battery removal they will wear prematurely.

Here are the video links to inspect the clips as well as best removal technique to avoid future damage:

Reactions: EMB
Yes,, I had this problem, Battery fell out and Spark crashed to the ground. Suffered some damage to a motor and gimble. I sent the Spark to DJI and the did a full warranty repair and replaced the battery.. :)

was flying over a river with full GPS and plenty of battery left in the tank at about 100 metres when the battery fell out (didnt know that it was a known issue of the spark at the time) and it went crashing into the river with no hope of recovery contacted DJI and they offered me 30% off a new one after reviewing my flight logs.

while i do think thats a great response from them and will be taking up the offer im wondering who else has dealt with DJI on this kind of issue and have they been offered better like a replacement?
Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Mine lost GPS and magnetic direction and just flew off into the distance. I predict it ditched in the ocean. DJI gave me a code to order a replacement on their site. Very happy with the outcome once I jumped through the hoops.

Mine lost GPS and magnetic direction and just flew off into the distance. I predict it ditched in the ocean. DJI gave me a code to order a replacement on their site. Very happy with the outcome once I jumped through the hoops.

Did you have dji care refresh? Mine lost signal on Sat and flew off idk where, but lots of water around as well. I have signs up in the area Incase it did come down on dry land and I’m going to walk some areas 1 more time, but doubt I’ll ever see it again.
What did you do to get dji to replace it? I have care refresh, but it might be a warranty situation as the drone is less than 3 months activated.

Did you have dji care refresh? Mine lost signal on Sat and flew off idk where, but lots of water around as well. I have signs up in the area Incase it did come down on dry land and I’m going to walk some areas 1 more time, but doubt I’ll ever see it again.
What did you do to get dji to replace it? I have care refresh, but it might be a warranty situation as the drone is less than 3 months activated.
Sent them an email explained the situation and asked if there were any option open to me. I had to prove the purchase and upload my flight history.

Reactions: Sparksupersonic
Flying this morning over the ocean with 50% battery life hit the sport button to return flying at 35 km/hr 110metres distance 11 metres high saw drone fall out of sky into the drink. What was that??? I think I saw two splashes only possible reason battery fell out. It is under 3 months old surely dji would have fixed battery issue. Like Wombatesq I have Visa insurance wouldn’t have thought of that thanks mate. Will also upload flight records with dji surely battery falling out has to be warranty issue? Shattered my confidence in the drone.

after deal with customer service for 3 months i learned a few things. if something isn't right point it out. also don't stop trying .hope this helps you .

Reactions: Ajax

Sorry to hear this. I too had a battery detachment over the mud of the Severn Estuary in SW England. Lost the battery of course but the aircraft pancaked within reach of a coat hanger on the end of a window cleaning stick!! Have invested in a battery holder strap, bought off Amazon for a few pounds-not many! Gives huge peace of mind. Fly safe.

i hope they don't make the batteries too much more difficult to disconnect, mine seem to have a really good grip! With something like this I think the strength of the spring isn't so much of an issue as is the distance of travel on the lock. A strong spring is only required when there's a very short lock distance.

Me

Reactions: Rwarrior
Flying this morning over the ocean with 50% battery life hit the sport button to return flying at 35 km/hr 110metres distance 11 metres high saw drone fall out of sky into the drink. What was that??? I think I saw two splashes only possible reason battery fell out. It is under 3 months old surely dji would have fixed battery issue. Like Wombatesq I have Visa insurance wouldn’t have thought of that thanks mate. Will also upload flight records with dji surely battery falling out has to be warranty issue? Shattered my confidence in the drone.

Like i said they offered me 30% discount and I’ve already got my replacement

I was flying recording some mountainclimbers and suddenly i got a warning "Drone has tipped over" and the drone was lost. I was mountainclimbing myself the the drone must have dropped at least 400 meters. Bought a new spark as I have so much accessories like charging stations and 5pcs Batteries.

Update to my lost drone. Dji have excepted my warranty claim and are forwarding a new drone. As I couldn’t retrieve it they said from flight records the drone disconnected for unknown reasons. Drone was 3 months old. Happy with the result. I think the battery fell out so are the newer drones still having this problem?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis