Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Battery fell out drone is lost!

JRedfearn

Join
Nov 25, 2017
First post to the sight.

I have 14 flights on my Spark with no issues. Took the drone out to the country today to fly while daughter was at a 4 hour softball practice. I launched the drone in beginner mode and went out about 100 feet and 25 up. As I was turning the drone the battery fell off. I saw it come down to the ground and spent an hour searching the field, but I was unable to locate the drone, grass was about 4 feet tall.
Used the app and last known locations but for the life of me I was not able to locate it. I am not a frequent flyer and I would say much a beginner and I am extremely cautious when flying the Spark . I have never had any issues until today and viewing the forum this seems to be an issue I was unaware of. I bought the Spark in November 2017 with the DJI Care, not sure what to do at this point. Pretty frustrstung to spend $700 only to have it lost from an issue with DJI Spark batteries. Extremely disappointed in DJI, I see now there is an aftermarket accessory to hold the battery in place, but if this was an issue perhaps DJI should have included this is their Fly More Combo.

Sorry about the rant, but big failure for DJI!

That's a bummer for sure. I use one of those thick red rubber bands hooked around the rear prop arms and around the back of the battery. I don't want to loose my drone either.

First post to the sight.

I have 14 flights on my Spark with no issues. Took the drone out to the country today to fly while daughter was at a 4 hour softball practice. I launched the drone in beginner mode and went out about 100 feet and 25 up. As I was turning the drone the battery fell off. I saw it come down to the ground and spent an hour searching the field, but I was unable to locate the drone, grass was about 4 feet tall.
Used the app and last known locations but for the life of me I was not able to locate it. I am not a frequent flyer and I would say much a beginner and I am extremely cautious when flying the Spark . I have never had any issues until today and viewing the forum this seems to be an issue I was unaware of. I bought the Spark in November 2017 with the DJI Care, not sure what to do at this point. Pretty frustrstung to spend $700 only to have it lost from an issue with DJI Spark batteries. Extremely disappointed in DJI, I see now there is an aftermarket accessory to hold the battery in place, but if this was an issue perhaps DJI should have included this is their Fly More Combo.

Keep searching, contact DJI by telephone and start a support case (if you go through with the DJI Care way of it - which totally works) upload your logs and explain your experience. Likely you had the Gen 1 battery (check out your other batteries triangle locks).

Get some of your mates together and offer up a couple beers to the one who can find your drone. There's some helpful videos on how to use the "find my Drone" feature in combination with Google Earth/maps.
Don't give up on searching for the drone, with some prayer and faith, your drone will be found.

(I have the aftermarket battery lock, don't believe it's so necessary, do use it since MarksSpark give me one, but sometimes have forgot to put it on after battery swaps. I always double check the battery with an extra tug, and lock if paranoid. DJI instructs pushing battery in while pulling/bracing with the rear arms to prevent touching the locking mechanism)

First post to the sight.

Keep searching, contact DJI by telephone and start a support case (if you go through with the DJI Care way of it - which totally works) upload your logs and explain your experience. Likely you had the Gen 1 battery (check out your other batteries triangle locks).

Get some of your mates together and offer up a couple beers to the one who can find your drone. There's some helpful videos on how to use the "find my Drone" feature in combination with Google Earth/maps.
Don't give up on searching for the drone, with some prayer and faith, your drone will be found.

(I have the aftermarket battery lock, don't believe it's so necessary, do use it since MarksSpark give me one, but sometimes have forgot to put it on after battery swaps. I always double check the battery with an extra tug, and lock if paranoid. DJI instructs pushing battery in while pulling/bracing with the rear arms to prevent touching the locking mechanism)

Thank you. Just very frustrating! I emailed DJI but will be contacting them in the morning. The phone and app were helpful and I searched where it last showed on the map. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Thank you. Just very frustrating! I emailed DJI but will be contacting them in the morning. The phone and app were helpful and I searched where it last showed on the map. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Online DJI Care support is only available in US. You'll need to call otherwise to set up a claim.

This needle, you can find. It's a $700 needle which flies and takes sexy photos. (I had this terrible experience one time, but I kept the faith and didn't give up, found it and used DJI Care to get flying again - within 3 weeks from Canada to Texas)

I bet with some mates you can make a day of it and your Spark will be recovered within 4 hours. Screenshot_20180917-005401.jpg

First post to the sight.

As soon as I learned about the battery issue, I bought 2 of the aftermarket battery straps. I spent way to much money for that little thing to have that happen.

Where are you located?

Last edited:
Reactions: desert spark
Agree, sounds like you have it narrowed down to a relatively small geographic area to search. I'd round up some friends and start walking the field in a grid.

Yes, get the rubber o ring or battery strap!

Side comment, never understood why some drone owners put camouflage skins on em. I want mine bright and visible!!!

Reactions: orepoman
I had the same thing happen but mine was over a lake, I did not have DJI care, I contacted DJI and sent them my flight logs in about three days they emailed back and replaced my lost drone, I also Carry insurance on the through State Farm, for 5 drones and all equipment it was $86 dollars a year, have had one claim and the replaced the drone no questions asked,

Reactions: sirkkelley
Bring that softball team line them up and comb for it. It probably went a bit forward from last recorded gps signal

Reactions: Vilco
First post to the sight.

Have experienced the same issue Saturday my spark was lost for 3 hours because battery. My spark is miracle and survived 53m down in a little tree. I have order one plastic blocker for prevent me from having the same problem and lost my time and energy.

Sadly many pilots dont study up in advance, sorry to hear you had this issue. I've thought about this happening to me, so I did not fly until I had the battery clip I ordered, and I also velcro a Tile to it. I am surround by fields with long grass where I fly, and this little $40 tile will certainly make it easier to find should it end up in the fields. Its not the best solution, but its the most affordable. Some go to the extreme of using the MarcoPolo... but thats half the price of the drone again.

Get your army of friends out to help you, buy the beer. Good luck. If you cant find that many folks to help a metal detector will possibly help in long grass.

First post to the sight.

Wow, your story must be painful.
How the hell can the battery fall out of the Spark? Is this a known problem? Normally you always hear "click" when it is placed and locked at the Spark..

Wow, your story must be painful.
How the hell can the battery fall out of the Spark? Is this a known problem? Normally you always hear "click" when it is placed and locked at the Spark..

Yep. Should hear 2 clicks. 1 for each tab.

Here's a photo of the difference between the old and new battery posted by another Forum member.

Screenshot_20180515-151610.jpg

Note the difference in the tabs.

I've purchased a total of 6 batteries here and there over the course of a year and all of them were the first generation battery.

Always plug and tug before each flight and I too have went the rubber O ring route when flying with prop guards and the battery clip without the guards. Better safe than sorry.

The clip and the guards don't fit on the airframe at the same time in my circumstance.

If the field is as thick and heavy as you say there is probably no damage to the spark, I have crashed several times in high grass with no damage at all. Keep looking and good luck.
Also use prop guards until you are an expert!

Reactions: ddease
That's a bummer for sure. I use one of those thick red rubber bands hooked around the rear prop arms and around the back of the battery. I don't want to loose my drone either.
Yeah I use the clips I never fly the spark without it and I absolutely chucking it about in sports mode never even think about it but when I didn't have the clip I was paranoid all the time that this would happen to mine. The battery clip just puts you mind at ease.
Sorry to the original post. Try and find it again you say it landed in tall grass you never know it might of survived the spark is a tough cookie it takes quite alot to break it.

sorry to hear about your fall from the sky . in the future this is a little trick that i have learned from watching some of my fellow flyers at RC flying events . when ever a plane goes down , look at where your last sighting was . place your RC transmitter in line with the spot of the crash , if you have a compass take a barring if not mark and look for a reference point . i have seen people search for drones and RC planes only to get lost in the high cattails and in the woods and then phone for help , not a joke it's happen more than once .

Reactions: sirkkelley

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bornzero2none