Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark+Autopilot+Waypoint Mission created in Google Earth Pro - WOW!

mick92780

Join
Jul 17, 2017
I'd heard that you can create waypoints in Google Earth, (called Placemarks) and then export them as KMZ files, which can then be imported into the Autopilot app for use in Waypoint missions with the Spark.

I tried it just now and it works like a champ, (with one CAVEAT*). I am just gobsmacked!

For anyone who wants step by step instructions on how I proceeded, keep reading.

Firstly, you can't just use the Google Earth version that you bring up in a Chrome browser. You must install the stand alone Google Earth Pro free app on your PC. You probably want to sign into it as well with your Google sign-in credentials if you have an account with Google.

Secondly, on the left side, under My Places in Google Earth Pro, right-click and create a new folder. Name it and then create your waypoints/placemarks from within this folder.

I found a nearby soccer field on the map in Google Earth Pro, and created 5 placemarks, (labeled '01' through '05') that mark out a large figure 8 on the field.

I then right-clicked on the folder containing the new placemarks and saved them on my PC as a KMZ file.

Still on the PC, I then emailed the KMZ file to myself in Yahoo mail.

I then opened my Yahoo mail app on the iPhone, went to that email, clicked on the .KMZ file/attachment and it asked me if I wanted to import it into Autopilot. I said yes.

Once it was imported into Autopilot, I went through each waypoint to make sure the altitude was appropriate.

When I was creating the waypoints/placemarks on Google Earth Pro on the PC, I gave them all an altitude of 20 meters. I am not sure if that data came over with the KMZ file or if it was just overridden by the waypoint default altitude in Autopilot which was 100 feet. That will take some more research on my part.

But I was able to manually adjust each waypoint to 65 feet in altitude in Autopilot, which took all of 60 seconds.

After you edit a mission, it's a good idea to SAVE it, or SAVE AS, if you want to save it under a different name. Look for the folder icon in the lower right corner, when in the Waypoint module.

I did not fuss with focus, (where the gimbal/camera would point during the various legs of the mission,) for this first trial run. I just wanted to get out and see if it would fly the mission at all.

I drove to the soccer field, put the iPhone into the RC cradle, turned on the Spark and the RC. NOTE: I used WiFi, not OTG cable.

When I had the green light on the RC, I launched the Autopilot app and it found the Spark right away.

I took off manually and put the Spark 15 feet in the air near the first waypoint. I had Autopilot engage in Waypoint mode. The mission I'd imported and edited was already loaded.

After going through a couple of screens with checklists etc., I pressed 'Engage' and Autopilot did it's 5 second countdown. It then flew the mission beautifully with zero input from me.

I have to tell you, my head is spinning with the possibilities this appears to open up.

*CAVEAT: Even though I created the waypoints 01 through 05 on the PC in Google Earth Pro, Autopilot flew the mission backward, starting with Waypoint 05 and finishing up with Waypoint 01. A non-trivial behavior surprise, to be sure, but I will see how this can be addressed in future missions. For me, the fact that it flies the mission at all is the real story here.

As a side note, per Hangar's instructions, I had the RC in P mode for the entire mission.

After the first trial, still at the soccer field, I ran the mission again, but I did an abort halfway through, just to test the Autopilot emergency override function.

This was done by simply flipping the Flight Mode switch on the RC from P to S. When I did, the drone immediately came to a halt and hovered in mid air. I flew it back to me and landed it safely. So Autopilot's emergency override feature also works well, giving me an extra boost of confidence when I use this app.

Can you tell that I'm over the moon about all this?

For the record, I am not in any way associated with Hangar/Autopilot, DJI nor Google, and had to pay $30 bucks in the Apple App Store like everyone else.

Thanks for the report, first successful waypoint mission I've read about.

I'm guessing the Google Earth step is not compulsory and that you can create mission directly in the app ?

I used to run such missions quite a bit with my first Bebop...until something went wrong and it took a dip, never found a good reason to run one again with my second Bebop ;-)

Reactions: koffe and John Hill
Thanks.

Yes, you are correct that a mission can be created right on the app. Google Maps are embedded into Autopilot.

I probably should have included that fact, and that my PC-based method is an alternative, not the main way to go about it.

Reactions: webvan
Thanks for the post. I was planning to hold out for waypoint functionality on Litchi but you’ve convinced me it’s worth investing in Autopilot.

Reactions: ccolt1
Yea it works really good with the Spark as long as your remote / spark have a good radio connection -

No it has to be in constant communication with the remote / app for it to work as they are using a custom flight controller in the app - (instead of the one built into the Spark SDK) to get waypoints to work.

Reactions: terrapin_sd
Ok, wonder if Litchi will manage to implement autonomous missions at some point.

I just noticed something small watching this video again. When the spark is going along the fence line between 2 and 3. It appears to be on the wrong side of the fence compared to the blue line. Perhaps google earth points are a little bit off.

Can't it work independently from the radio once the mission is engaged ?
No that would contravene the manufacture's license - these are not autonomous drones, they always have to have a human via a controller in the override loop. So flight commands are always sent in sequence from the command station one waypoint at a time - that way the flight can always be interrupted from the ground.

I think the Mavic and P4Pro will allow waypoints to be uploaded and fly the route if connection interrupted with remote and RTH or hover at end (but again not the Spark because its SDK doesn't allow this)

I think the Mavic and P4Pro will allow waypoints to be uploaded and fly the route if connection interrupted with remote and RTH or hover at end (but again not the Spark because its SDK doesn't allow this)

But Hangar/Autopilot doesn't use the Spark SDK, it uses it's own proprietary controller software which, I believe, does allow for LCMC, (Lost Connection Mission Continue.)

That’s correct they use a custom flight controller to get around that limitation - which again is why it needs constant contact to the Spark

As a side note, per Hangar's instructions, I had the RC in P mode for the entire mission.

After the first trial, still at the soccer field, I ran the mission again, but I did an abort halfway through, just to test the Autopilot emergency override function.

This was done by simply flipping the Flight Mode switch on the RC from P to S. When I did, the drone immediately came to a halt and hovered in mid air. I flew it back to me and landed it safely. So Autopilot's emergency override feature also works well, giving me an extra boost of confidence when I use this app.

Hi mick92780.
Just a question : on Spark RC, we don’t have a P/S switch.
Do you use the normal / sport mode switch ?

Thanks

The "normal / sport mode switch" is the P/S switch, yes.

I have attached a photo and circled the switch in red. Leave it on P to use Autopilot and switch it to S for emergency override of the current Autopilot mission, like if the Spark is about to crash or something.

Attachments

• sparkRC.png
    sparkRC.png
    96 KB · Views: 88
The "normal / sport mode switch" is the P/S switch, yes.

I have attached a photo and circled the switch in red. Leave it on P to use Autopilot and switch it to S for emergency override of the current Autopilot mission, like if the Spark is about to crash or something.

Thank U !

Some smart people out there...

Yes this is on v4.1.9 app running v36 patch. It does allow for autonomous flight in the event of RF link dropped (it will complete mission in the event of signal loss) but I am not discussing on here!

So this a patch (hack) to the Android version of DJI Go to allow way points ? - no proof in the video it can do this without the controller... (even if the on screen prompts say that it will) - unless I missed something - (looks like the app was fooled into thinking it was a Mavic (?))

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast