Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark and ocusync?

Join
Nov 2, 2017
So I've been flying for a few years but the spark is my first real advanced drone. I'm curious if it will ever be possible for the spark to run ocusync or lightbridge in the future? Will there ever be a firmware update that boost the range or signal quality?

Highly doubtful. DJI elected to use Wifi transmission so that it works with a mobile device on its own, and this is the limiting factor in all of it.

Reactions: Kilrah
right but I thought that ocusync was just a modified Wi-Fi signal? so even if it isn't ocusync couldn't a range boosting firmware be a possibility?

Modified WiFi yes but there has to be some hardware (weight/cost) involved. The limiting factor is going to be the battery life most of the time, except when flying with trees in your LOS but that's not the typical use case...

Last edited:
So I've been flying for a few years but the spark is my first real advanced drone. I'm curious if it will ever be possible for the spark to run ocusync or lightbridge in the future? Will there ever be a firmware update that boost the range or signal quality?
No and No.

Occusync is a proprietary transmission system which requires dedicated hardware.
Boost in TX power would make the platform illegal since EIRP regulations must be adhered to for specific countries/regions to make the product compliant

Fun fact: the output power of the Spark RC and the Mavic RC are the same (that is governed by local laws, such as FCC). Wifi just isn't very fault tolerant when it comes to weak signal issues.

thanks for the feedback guys. I don't need anymore distance but flying in the mountains of West Virginia can get sketchy if any trees come in to play.

Protocols won't change what trees do. Coniferous trees (pine and such) abosrb RF like nobody's business. Even GPS signals don't penetrate.

Have you compared? Feedback in the Mavic forums seems to indicate that the 3x range ratio of the Mavic vs Spark range is preserved with trees, 900 vs 300.

Reactions: Kilrah
Yeah and I gotta tell ya I truly love my little spark but man I'm kinda wishing I would have sprung for the mavic. I have to keep such high altitude to stay above all the trees and keep good signal. Even 250m with a small row of walnut trees and it's done. This one thing is it's only Achilles heel for me.

Protocols won't change what trees do. Coniferous trees (pine and such) abosrb RF like nobody's business. Even GPS signals don't penetrate.
No, but they can be more robust to it. Like Ocusync precisely.

Just get a Mavic :)

Besides using cellular or satellite links, I don't think there's anything out there that beast Occusync in terms of range and penetration. Much better than Lightbridge.

Besides using cellular or satellite links, I don't think there's anything out there that beast Occusync in terms of range and penetration. Much better than Lightbridge.
Dragon link - it's proven technology, been around for years and will beat Occusync for range and penetration everytime. We are talking 10’s of kilometers.
100km was achieved back in 2015 before Occusync was even invented!
So yes, there are other systems out there that way out perform Occu-Stink.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh