Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark 2 Spark Pro?

I believe it matters where you live too, you can certainly expect more freedom to fly, responsibly, in the country and deserts, if not close to any airports. I fly mostly in the countryside so it’s probavly easier to feel optimistic.
I considered the pro platinum, never really considered the Mavic Air, but went with the spark because of the cost and thought it was a better investment as s first drone. But never doubted I want a more capable flyer. I’m almost certain I’ll get a pro, whether the pro, the platinum or a pro 2. Not certain I need everything the pro 2 or zoom have, but quieter is a must, and then I think but the zoom isn’t much more cost than the platinum.
The pro would be enough if it were quieter, haven’t really been able to tell how much difference the low noise propellers themselves make. There’s good deals to be had on the pros and at times I’ve seen good deals on the platinum too on ebay.
I bought the tello too, I thought it would be good to learn to fly with and I’m glad I did, felt confidence when I first flew the Spark. I’d still get another Spark for the size for hiking and those situations minimum size is needed though. But a better flyer I want for certain too.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Good points. I feel even with regulations though sometimes how strict the rules are applied is a matter of perception, and people are more likely to look at the Spark with its size differently than bigger drones. Increased regulation aside, the faa won’t be around the corner ready to seize everyone’s drones, it will still be the common person or park personelle types of people drone flyers will be confronted by and that’s the reason a low profile drone like the spark might get the benefit of the doubt.
As for dji and foolishness though, not intending that to be a slight, I’m certain they’ll do what they can, just another way of saying “It would be in their best interest”.
Agree about more technology making a drone heavier, but the hypothetical spark mentioned above is just someone’s dream drone, obviously not realistic.
Personally my thoughts on how they might be able to upgrade the spark while maintaining its size would be using the quiet motor technology and quiet propellers, maybe the 3 axis gimble, then maybe eventually technology can improve connection and have a better battery. There’s going to have to be compromise with a smaller drone for certain, probably mostly in limited flight time at the
I appreciate your optimistic view of the drone hobby's future. Perhaps I am being too cynical but when it comes to governmental regulation that is usually the safe bet.

Truth be told the "dream Spark" you describe is my Mavic Pro with a quiet prop upgrade. At first I was intimidated by the size and complexity but after a few weeks the Spark isn't getting much use. Once the MP1 is 100 feet away the size difference literally disappears. It's much quieter than the Spark's "angry hornet shriek". And it gets up and away so quickly it's a silent speck in the sky before anybody even notices it. Throw in the 4K, extended range, 3-axis gimbal and doubled airtime and it's Game Over.

DJI has sold so many people the Tello AND the Spark AND the Mavic Pro I think their product line is firing on all cylinders. No reason to change it until they get some competition other than themselves.
Andre, you just mentioned something that struck me, and that's the idea, that once your out there 100 feet or so, the noise diminishes quite a bit. I love all these responses were getting on this thread. They're very intuitive and seem to make a lot of sense. Unless DJI or someone, comes up with more power from a smaller battery, we're kind of sunk on the small size thing and wanting more flight time. Again, Andre, your making me think- Do I want to pay all the extra bucks that "the dream spark", would probably cost or just go buy the already proven Pro 2? I guess it would get back once more to the non-invasive look of the Sparks size and looks. Marc

I don’t know if I’ll buy another spark after mine disconnected and flew away last month, but I did like it’s size and simplicity a lot.

Don't feel too bad. My P3A did the same thing last summer. A few minutes into flight I got "Image transmission lost," my screen went gray and never regained connection. I have no idea where it went. :(

Unfortunately the FAA regulations lump together all drones between 250 grams and 25 kilograms. So the Spark's current weight of 300gm puts it in the same category as the massive DJI Inspire and Matrice. As you stated the regulations will only get stricter - this would likely lower the minimum weight even further.

Despite the trend towards miniaturization the addition of new features will add more weight to the aircraft. And those new features are power hogs that require larger capacity batteries - the heaviest single component of all.

In summary, the Spark can't get much smaller without shrinking the battery so much that flight time is pitiful. The current 13 minutes is already a handicap.

It's not a matter of "foolishness" - it's physics.
Actually it's anything less than 24.95 kg used for commercial purposes.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewDatcu