Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RTH - Return To Home

Enabling "RTH at Current Altitude" makes sense - but the problem with RTH is still that the Spark could hit a tree then if it tries to return in a straight line to the home point.

So the best we can do in such a case is to enable this option AND permanently update the home point, I guess.

Why, by all seven gods, did DJI remove the manual Atti mode on the Spark? That doesn't make sense to me :eek:

Why, by all seven gods, did DJI remove the manual Atti mode on the Spark?
This wouldn't be a solution since manually switching to ATTI mode does not prevent the drone from initiating RTH.

I am planning to fly along a path that is surrounded by trees, so I did a little research regarding RTH. The worst thing would be if RTH kicks in, Spark goes up and hit the trees covering that path.

According to the manual, there is NO manual Atti mode, so RTH is always enabled, right? That's a total bummer. So the only thing we can do is to stay within 20m from the start point? That's a HUGE disadvantage to the filmer.

What if a new home point is set (dynamic home point) during flight? Will this reset the 20m range then?
Luckily, RTH should not automatically kick in unless the batteries are critically low.

I fear that RTH could indeed kick in. It's a very winded way and if a big trunk comes between me and the Spark... I am not sure. And if there is only a small chance that RTH kicks in, I need to consider this.

Why aren't there more failsafe option to chose from? It'd be so helpful if we could tell it to sink (or keep hovering until battery RTH kicks in) if connection gets lost :(

Why aren't there more failsafe option to chose from?
Great question. I'm hoping DJI adds the other options that are currently available for their other drones.

I could be wrong, but I thought the only way it gets initiated on its own, is extreme battery loss. Considering it is a top-level first screen menu item, there should be an equally easy way to stop it, and simply land (if the battery is sufficient).

According to the manual, RTH kicks in 3 seconds after connection loss (when using the RC) - which could theoretically happen if there are a couple of trees between me and the Spark. And IF there is a connection loss, you are not able to abort the RTH procedure, of course.

It's absurd, but I feel more safe when flying my "dumb" racers. Because they do not try to incapacitate me, as the Spark does :confused:

Let's claim more failsafe options!

No.

The best you could do is disable the "RTH at Current Altitude" setting and keep the Spark within 20 meters of the home point. If the signal is lost, the Spark will auto land at its current location instead of trying to return back to the home point.

View attachment 778
While flying in my front yard within 20m, I wanted to test the RTH function at low battery conditions. I switched the “return at altitude” button “ON”. At low battery indication, it immediately flew up to the RTH altitude rather than return at current altitude which was about 4m. Why?

While flying in my front yard within 20m, I wanted to test the RTH function at low battery conditions. I switched the “return at altitude” button “ON”. At low battery indication, it immediately flew up to the RTH altitude rather than return at current altitude which was about 4m. Why?
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Follow the steps at the link above to upload your TXT file. You'll be redirected to a page where you can view the log contents after it uploads. Then, post a link to that page back here.

Right click the link in your web browser's address bar and select "Copy". Then, right click back here and choose "Paste".

I noticed in the Flight Log Viewer that the Spark recorded a RTH altitude of 20m, which was set in the “Return-To-Home Altitude, but I had the RTH at Current Altitude switch “On”

How are your remote controller sticks setup? It doesn't look like you were flying in Mode 2 (the default).

When RTH was initiated (the blue shaded area below), your Spark started ascending as it was flying back to the home point (something I've never seen). It briefly stopped ascending when you hit the throttle stick, but then continued to ascend pretty quickly after the throttle stick returned to the center position.

What happened at the end of the flight? It looks like you attempted a CSC to shut down the motors.

upload_2018-2-21_10-33-32.png

When RTH was initiated (the blue shaded area below), your Spark started ascending as it was flying back to the home point (something I've never seen). It briefly stopped ascending when you hit the throttle stick, but then continued to ascend pretty quickly after the throttle stick returned to the center position.

What happened at the end of the flight? It looks like you attempted a CSC to shut down the motors.

View attachment 3626

The low battery triggered the RTH. The RTH at current altitude switch was enabled. I was surprised when the drone continued to climb. I tried to stop the ascent with throttle and then by pressing the RTH button to cancel the process. I believe I was too late before it became entangled in the tree limbs, then fell to the ground. At no point did I initiate CSC.

This was a replacement drone from DJI. So I wonder if there might be some other conflicting logs. This was the second flight after receiving from DJI

The Spark has been sent to DJI repair for a failure to calibrate the IMU

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502