Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Prop Noise Reduction?

RedneckMechanic

Join
Oct 19, 2017
Loc
Oregon
So, I watched a video about the new Mavic and saw that to cut down prop noise, they redesigned the ends of the blades. Makes you wonder if they'll do the same to Spark props...? While the Spark is small, she puts off quite a bit of noise. It would be great if they could cut that down by... Say, 25% even. Or are we stuck with the bumble bee din of the current blades?

The Spark is still quieter than the Mavic noise reduction blades

The Spark is still quieter than the Mavic noise reduction blades
Not according to what I watched. Just hovering there was a 30dB difference between the two, in favor of the Mavic. 60+ for the Mavic, 90 for the Spark. Though that may be attributed to the different pitches due to prop size.

Not according to what I watched. Just hovering there was a 30dB difference between the two, in favor of the Mavic. 60+ for the Mavic, 90 for the Spark. Though that may be attributed to the different pitches due to prop size.

I think that's an exageration. I've watched a half dozen tests and never saw a db difference greater than 10db. In controlled conditions, indoors where the craft didn't have to battle breezes, the difference was around 8db. Worth watching is a test done by Rick at Drone Valley. He provides some additional sound wave graphical comparisons that look at not only the volume, but the pitch of the sounds. Pitch can have more of a perceptual impact than volume, of which db is only one measure.

To me, the Mavic Pro sound quieter and the audible 'pitch' of the Spark is higher and louder. Once either aircraft gets above 40 feet, the sound is nearly unperceptable if you not listening for it!

EDIT: Oops, I misread your post. Drone Valley doesn't compare the Spark to MP only the two types of blades of the MP. However, Ricks comparison is still worth watching as it gets into what makes the sound, blah blah blah

Funny thing, as I was wondering about this as well. Since it sounds like they just adjust the blades on the mavic pro, the spark should be able to do the same thing.

Who has a 3d printer? lol

It may not be just the props, the new ESC's on the MPP may help with the noise as well.

Who has a 3d printer? lol

I've got two - a small delta printer (Hero), and a larger clone of a Prusia model.

Right up front, 3D printing sounds like a great idea, but a well-known issue is that current 3D printing tech at the 'buy it off the shelf' level or hobbyist level can still be quite finicky/fiddly. If the plastic cools too fast (or too slow) on leaving the print head, for example, it could change the density/thickness just enough to change the overall balance of the printed item. I would spend almost as much time balancing a prop through sanding or other means as I would printing it out.

Injection molding would be a better way to go for consistent output.

You could probably use a 3D printer to help make the molds, though. Print and sand your design, then produce a 'negative' with ceramics or metal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef