Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Possible to fly drone WITH remote but WITHOUT mobile device?

Armaneo

Join
Aug 2, 2017
I've been searching high and low for the answer, but only found that it's possible with the Mavic. I haven't found similar reports with the Spark. If it is possible, how do I do it? I normally fly with my mobile device connected via wifi to the remote, but when I don't have the DJI Go app activated and connected to the remote, the remote doesn't seem able to control the drone. What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: Dannavarrojr
It is absolutely possible. Just push both sticks in and down to start the motors. It won't take off on its own, though, just push up on the left stick and it will gently lift.

To take photos, press the photo button, and to record video, the video button.

Obviously, not using the mobile device means you won't see warnings, or what you are pointed at, and you can't use any of the quick shots. But it works fine for zooming around in Sport Mode!

I can confirm this. And I can confirm without the app it will fly in an auth zone without auth. So be careful out there.

O really? That's good to know, in case of, you know, reasons.

Yeah I live In an auth zone and I can take right off after the RC pairs.

It is absolutely possible. Just push both sticks in and down to start the motors....

What do you mean by "push both stick in"? My joysticks don't click or depress inward. They only move up, down, left, right and everything inbetween.

Edit: Oh, wait. I think I'm misunderstanding. When you say "in," do you mean towards the center, rather than into the back of the remote?

Reactions: suprPHREAK
I assume RTH will not work, correct?

RTH does works properly. There's even a dedicated button on the remote to initiate RTH. The Spark is autonomous for this and doesn't need the phone.

Meanwhile, you have to make sure you only takeoff when the lights on the Spark indicate it recorded the "home point". Otherwise, assuming you liftoff too early, you may have surprises if the home point is recorded during your flight, as it may be anywhere in the air.

Like for the Phantom, after blinking red to indicate GPS signal search, the LEDs will quickly blink to green to indicate proper GPS position recording. You should refer to the documentation for details. Always good to know these things. Could save your Spark.

RTH does works properly. There's even a dedicated button on the remote to initiate RTH. The Spark is autonomous for this and doesn't need the phone.

Meanwhile, you have to make sure you only takeoff when the lights on the Spark indicate it recorded the "home point". Otherwise, assuming you liftoff too early, you may have surprises if the home point is recorded during your flight, as it may be anywhere in the air.

Like for the Phantom, after blinking red to indicate GPS signal search, the LEDs will quickly blink to green to indicate proper GPS position recording. You should refer to the documentation for details. Always good to know these things. Could save your Spark.

Oh that's cool to know thanks! Sometimes I feel like flying the drone just with the RC -Thanks!

Just tried yesterday to quickly capture a sunset and I was limited to some altitude, like 30m. If it cannot talk with the Go app, you are limited in altitude and distance. I think there was a news from DJI about that some weeks ago.

Just tried yesterday to quickly capture a sunset and I was limited to some altitude, like 30m. If it cannot talk with the Go app, you are limited in altitude and distance. I think there was a news from DJI about that some weeks ago.

You just need to log in to the app briefly to unlock distance and height and then you can remove/disconnect your mobile device.

That is the only way I have flown for three months now since I don't have a phone or tablet that can handle Go 4 - it does better with Litchi, but still not good enough. I love flying this way, but will only do it in good areas with little to bring about interference. Next month I get an iPad Air 2 and it's gonna be great!!
I'm pretty sure I won't like flying with the tablet as much as there is so much to distract me from flying.

I fly without a device all the time if its just a quick flight or zipping round the house.

i am unable to do this the motors do not start when u pull the sticks down!!!

Once they are paired you pull both sticks down and then inwards, the motors will start but the blades won't spin until you push up to take off.

I can assure you on correct work of RTH also if your phone shutdown during fly. :D
Just press & hold button of RTH on RC an wait the Beeep..... Beeep....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502