Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Newbie Questions.

New Drone Guy

Join
Jan 2, 2018
I just ordered my Spark yesterday. In the meantime I did call DJI but had a difficult time understanding the guy. Do I need to get an OTG or any other cables to use the controller with my iPhone X? Also will may iPhone X fit in the controller with the average size case on it? Do I really need to get any of the extra support products? Final question when you are using the controller with your phone, if you receive a call, email, alarm etc. will it stop the connection to the Spark?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:
Answers:
1) DJI does NOT support OTG connections at this time
2)Most phones will NOT fit in RC with cases attached
3) if you speaking about DJI Refresh for a Support product, I would recommend it. Cost is minimal
4) Calls, texts, etc. don't typically disable connection to the drone. Though with the Sparks "iffy" WIFI it's recommend to disable those phone features and bluetooth

Reactions: New Drone Guy
Answers:
1) DJI does NOT support OTG connections at this time
2)Most phones will NOT fit in RC with cases attached
3) if you speaking about DJI Refresh for a Support product, I would recommend it. Cost is minimal
4) Calls, texts, etc. don't typically disable connection to the drone. Though with the Sparks "iffy" WIFI it's recommend to disable those phone features and bluetooth
Hopefully putting the phone in with out the case will not scratch up the Phone. My question on the phone case issue is some people have really big phones like the 6+ 7+8+ or large Samsung Galaxy, how come they will fit but not an iPhone X (which is smaller) with a case? Just trying to get an understanding. I did order the fly more package and the hand protector, are there any other items you suggest I get?

Thanks,
Andy

I can't speak for the iPhone X, but my iPhone 7+ won't fit with the case on.

Do I need to get an OTG or any other cables to use the controller with my iPhone X?
You can use an OTG cable, but it's not required. Some DJI GO functions don't work properly when using an OTG cable, so it would be better to connect your remote controller and phone via Wi-Fi.

will may iPhone X fit in the controller with the average size case on it?
If your phone doesn't fit with the case, you could wedge your phone between the remote controller arms, use a mount (like this one), or remove one or both of the insert inside of the remote controller arms.

Do I really need to get any of the extra support products?
You can find more details about DJI Care Refresh here.

when you are using the controller with your phone, if you receive a call, email, alarm etc. will it stop the connection to the Spark?
No.

Is it the thickness of the phone with case or the width/length thats the issue?
The thickness is the issue. You'll only be able to fit a mobile device (including the case) that has a thickness of 0.34 inches (or less).

Last edited:
I have a Samsung 8 and it fits in the controller with my case on. The case is fairly thin, fwiw, but no problems fitting it in the controller.

Has it scratched up your phone?
There are soft, rubber pads inside of the remote controller arms. They've never scratched any of the mobile devices I've used.

No problem with the case. Used my Samsung Galaxy S8+ with relatively thick Incipio case no problem.

No need for OTG cable on Spark.

Although I would suggest picking up a second hand iPad Mini (I have a Mini 2) and use that instead of your phone. Social media updates, Bluetooth, phonecalls, texts and other messages all interfere with your flying filming and it's better to have a totally separate device.

No problem with the case. Used my Samsung Galaxy S8+ with relatively thick Incipio case no problem.

No need for OTG cable on Spark.

Although I would suggest picking up a second hand iPad Mini (I have a Mini 2) and use that instead of your phone. Social media updates, Bluetooth, phonecalls, texts and other messages all interfere with your flying filming and it's better to have a totally separate device.[/QUOTE

So if you turn on airplane mode you're still going to have your flight interrupted? What about if you have a second device such as an iPad with you that's receiving texts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh