Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Newbie help!

Sparksteeler

Join
Dec 7, 2018
So I have never flown the spark. It’s wrapped under the Tree. I have the fly more combo . I have watched several YouTube set up videos aaaaand still confused. Questions I have. 1.Use OTG cable or don’t use. 2. Is there a step by step setup first flight guide(the videos all differ in steps). 3. Can I fly this in the house?. What I mean is if it’s Christmas and freezing outside, if I push take off button will this crash into my ceiling? 4. Do I need to set “home “position every time I fly or does it do it automatically? I keep seeing people say put phone in airplane mode to fly, is that only when using otg cable, because don’t you need the WiFi on to connect to drone?.5. Do I have to calibrate the drone/compass before each flight or just once unless error? Sorry I know these seem like stupid questions to you guys but would appreciate the help. Don’t want to screw up and crash or lose it.

Hello Sparksteeler, Santa's bringing you a Spark. You've must have been good this year.

1) OTG is not required. I have them but haven't used it in quite a while. The WiFi setup works fine for me but results vary with others.

2) DJI provides instructions on set up. It seems one of the hangups is scanning of the QR code(s) during activation. Just type them in manually as the scanning process is hit or miss. It's a good a idea to place a piece of clear tape and cover the sticker in the battery compartment as it will wear over time. Better yet, take pictures of the sticker and store in your phone for future use.

3) Yes. You can fly in the house. Make sure you have the prop guards on and the rooms are well lit. The Spark uses a camera on the bottom to determine height indoors as it won't get a GPS lock indoors. Use Tripod mode for slower movements. Stay away from the ceiling as the prop wash may suck it up and skip around like an air hockey puck. Lol.

4) The Homepoint will automatically set. It may take a few minutes to gather up enough satellite information. Be patient, a few pilots take off too early and lose the Spark because it's in Atti-mode. Green light on the controller doesn't mean you're ready to fly, just connected. All of the information will be on the DJI Go4 screen.

Airplane mode disables all incoming data so the phone can concentrate on flying the Spark, you don't need to answer a phone call when flying.
The WiFi on your device is still active so you can connect to the Spark, unless you use an OTG cable, then you can turn the WiFi off.
People think that Airplane mode shuts off the WiFi but it doesn't. Some airlines offer WiFi on the flights for the passengers to use so putting the phone in Airplane mode allows you to use the WiFi and not data streaming while in flight.

5) You will calibrate it when you first use it and only when prompted to do so later by the Go4 app. I think with previous DJI drones it was required but to do it every flight may be asking for trouble.
Do the compass calibration outside away from power lines, pipes, rebar (in concrete), etc. Remove all metal from yourself such as watch, coins, etc.
Some pilots get stuck on step 2 of the IMU calibration because the image on the screen flashes quickly and may not notice to move the aircraft. Pay attention to the DJI logo on the Spark in the setup pictures.

6) DO NOT crash and lose it as it is a fun little "toy".

Read the manual a few times, watch How To YouTube videos, and the Forum is always here to help.

Also, if in the USA you'll need to register it with the FAA. It cost $5 and takes about 5 minutes.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Last edited:
Hello Sparksteeler, Santa's bringing you a Spark. You've must have been good this year.

1) OTG is not required. I have them but haven't used it in quite a while. The WiFi setup works fine for me but results vary with others.

2) DJI provides instructions on set up. It seems one of the hangups is scanning of the QR code(s) during activation. Just type them in manually as the scanning process is hit or miss. It's a good a idea to place a piece of clear tape and cover the sticker in the battery compartment as it will wear over time. Better yet, take pictures of the sticker and store in your phone for future use.

3) Yes. You can fly in the house. Make sure you have the prop guards on and the rooms are well lit. The Spark uses a camera on the bottom to determine height indoors as it won't get a GPS lock indoors. Use Tripod mode for slower movements. Stay away from the ceiling as the prop wash may suck it up and skip around like an air hockey puck. Lol.

4) The Homepoint will automatically set. It may take a few minutes to gather up enough satellite information. Be patient, a few pilots take off too early and lose the Spark because it's in Atti-mode. Green light on the controller doesn't mean you're ready to fly, just connected. All of the information will be on the DJI Go4 screen.

Airplane mode disables all incoming data so the phone can concentrate on flying the Spark, you don't need to answer a phone call when flying.
The WiFi on your device is still active so you can connect to the Spark, unless you use an OTG cable, then you can turn the WiFi off.
People think that Airplane mode shuts off the WiFi but it doesn't. Some airlines offer WiFi on the flights for the passengers to use so putting the phone in Airplane mode allows you to use the WiFi and not data streaming while in flight.

5) You will calibrate it when you first use it and only when prompted to do so later by the Go4 app. I think with previous DJI drones it was required but to do it every flight may be asking for trouble.
Do the compass calibration outside away from power lines, pipes, rebar (in concrete), etc. Remove all metal from yourself such as watch, coins, etc.
Some pilots get stuck on step 2 of the IMU calibration because the image on the screen flashes quickly and may not notice to move the aircraft. Pay attention to the DJI logo on the Spark in the setup pictures.

6) DO NOT crash and lose it as it is a fun little "toy".

Read the manual a few times, watch How To YouTube videos, and the Forum is always here to help.

Also, if in the USA you'll need to register it with the FAA. It cost $5 and takes about 5 minutes.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:
Can I register through the dji app? Also do I need to download software to my computer dji assistant?

No. You can not register through the app, it is separate.

DJI assistant, in my opinion, isn't necessarily needed unless you have problems?

I had my Spark for over a year and all of the updates to the firmware have been accomplished via WiFl.

I call it the WiFi dance because you have to download an update via home WiFi and then switch to the Spark WiFi to install it.

I haven't had to use the DII Assistant but it is installed on my PC just in case I need to use it.

I couldn't activate my Spark by scanning the qr code.
So, I activated it using my pc and assistant 2. It was pretty easy and took about 2 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest you to fly indoors, until you become familiar with your drone.

Reactions: FollyFly
Spark 317 answered most of your questions except flying outdoor when cold. I fly in the winter and you should understand that cold weather decreases the time flight of the battery. As Follyfly suggests, I would not fly indoors during the period you are first learning. I would suggest to go to an open field eg soccer or baseball,football field raise the drone up 6-8 feet and fly in a 4-square pattern, the reverse the direction and fly the pattern back the same route. You can use the gimbal trying it. Watch the battery levels and of course THERE IS A BUILT IN FLIGHT SIMULATOR INSIDE DJIGO4 app. You need to be able to acct instead of re-act so fly near a shrub or non-surface like trees or buildings in your initial flights. Test your skill out throughly.
I routinely use my OAG cable but you won’t need it initially.
HAVE FUN BUT FLY SAFELY

and of course THERE IS A BUILT IN FLIGHT SIMULATOR INSIDE DJIGO4 app.

I was just thinking about that.
Thanks for the reminder.

Perfect for rainy days.

2. Is there a step by step setup first flight guide(the videos all differ in steps).

Another thought, upon activation of the Spark, you have a 48 hour period of getting the DJI Refresh Offer.

It may be worth it for peace of mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast