Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My new Spark. The pilot is new also

jhhneves

Join
Feb 15, 2018
Dears,
I have a question for the professionals. I will go in a trip in a cruise ship, during the cruise if my drone needs to go to RTH how does it work with the GPS localization that was set when a took-over from the deck of the ship? Thanks a lot for help me.
Jose

The Spark will always attempt to return to the last marked home point. If you move away from the original home point after taking off, you'll either need to manually reset the home point to your new location (which means you'll need to be using a mobile device with a GPS receiver) or manually fly the Spark back to the home point.

Msinger, thanks a lot! If is not an abuse, an ipad or an iPhone has a GPS receiver regardless it is connected to an internet (LTE or WiFi)?

If the Apple device is a cellular model (and not a Wi-Fi only model), it contains a GPS receiver. That GPS receiver is active even if the cellular service has not been activated.

The Spark will always attempt to return to the last marked home point. If you move away from the original home point after taking off, you'll either need to manually reset the home point to your new location (which means you'll need to be using a mobile device with a GPS receiver) or manually fly the Spark back to the home point.

For this situation could the Dynamic Homepoint work?

No, the dynamic homepoint is updating where the Spark is at every update. But you could manually update the RC homepoint. Only it could be tricky if you are on a boat that is moving. Then
I think it is best to interrupt the RTH near end of it and fly the last part manually.

Reactions: Rafa7
You cannot fly your Spark from a cruise ship. None of the cruise lines allow it and they will most certainly confiscate the drone if they even let you have it in the first place. Many will take it as soon as you try to bring it on board. You need to check with your cruiser line before you try to bring your Spark on board.

Not sure you allowed to fly from a Cruise Ship, however if you do then set your RC as the Home Point. Drone will then use the RC location to RTH.

Dears,
I have a question for the professionals. I will go in a trip in a cruise ship, during the cruise if my drone needs to go to RTH how does it work with the GPS localization that was set when a took-over from the deck of the ship? Thanks a lot for help me.
Jose
Dont want to piss on your chips, but you will not get a drone on a cruise ship, let alone take off from the deck

The Spark does not have a dynamic home point feature. It's only possible to manually reset the home point to the Spark's current location or the mobile device's current location. The home point will then remain at that new location until it's manually reset again.

While I agree with, "the you won't be flying from a cruise ship"; I don't agree with "you won't get it on board." I got back from a cruise 1 month ago aboard Carnival and had no problems taking it on and off the ship.

In one of the ports I was actually able to fly right up next to the ship and got some great footage along the ship, in fact some of the people on board got a kick out of seeing the drone out side of the ship as well.

The tip here is, just be smart. Double check with your Cruise ship provider, check the FAQ's, they all have different regulations. Most of them state you are allowed to bring it but, it must at all times be locked in the cabin. Even if you are in a port and stopped you are not allowed to take off on deck.

Check with the ports your going to, most of the time you can contact a destination and they can say one way or the other. Cozumel is a no drone zone, not in the port, and not in the plaza but, a few of the resorts and beaches they don't seem to mind.

Again, drone smart and do your research.

With the radar and radio signals and what have you your probably losing the drone the minute it sets off too.

While I agree with, "the you won't be flying from a cruise ship"; I don't agree with "you won't get it on board." I got back from a cruise 1 month ago aboard Carnival and had no problems taking it on and off the ship.

In one of the ports I was actually able to fly right up next to the ship and got some great footage along the ship, in fact some of the people on board got a kick out of seeing the drone out side of the ship as well.

The tip here is, just be smart. Double check with your Cruise ship provider, check the FAQ's, they all have different regulations. Most of them state you are allowed to bring it but, it must at all times be locked in the cabin. Even if you are in a port and stopped you are not allowed to take off on deck.

Check with the ports your going to, most of the time you can contact a destination and they can say one way or the other. Cozumel is a no drone zone, not in the port, and not in the plaza but, a few of the resorts and beaches they don't seem to mind.

Again, drone smart and do your research.

Very interesting! As it states right on the Carnival site that drones are prohibited. See here (4th item from bottom of list): Carnival Corporation Prohibited Items | Carnival Cruise Lines

The Spark does not have a dynamic home point feature. It's only possible to manually reset the home point to the Spark's current location or the mobile device's current location. The home point will then remain at that new location until it's manually reset again.

msinger, I saw this today on the DJI Go 4 app, I still don't think this will work for him thou.

msinger, I saw this today on the DJI Go 4 app, I still don't think this will work for him thou.
Unfortunately, that setting only works with ActiveTrack.

Reactions: Rafa7

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502