Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Mini

I was pretty excited with this until I looked at specs and it looks like it's still just basic WiFi control. Cue the constant fly aways or disconnects.... bye bye drone.... :(

Check that. I believe it's not wifi at all. Comes with a slew of cables. Watching an unboxing, guy specifically says no wifi.

• Love
Reactions: Bernd-Reiner
It's not a quantum leap ahead of the Spark in general. Some things are an improvement, others a step backward. Keep in mind it's an entry level drone primarily targeting people who may want to get into aerial photography, thus the emphasis on the "Everyday FlyCam" label. Spark was marketed as a Selfie Drone, but we all know it's so much more. I don't see me plunking down $400 to $500 USD for it.

Reactions: Pearson and daviwph
Check that. I believe it's not wifi at all. Comes with a slew of cables. Watching an unboxing, guy specifically says no wifi.
I'm pretty sure he meant no WiFi connection between the RC and cell phone, since it comes with OTG cable. Specs say video transmission is via enhanced WiFi, which I presume is also the radio process used for flight/camera control. No Ocusync here, so what other method would they use if not WiFi?

30 minute flight time : Cool!
2.7K camera : Not 4k, but I mainly shoot youtubes anyhow
3 axis gimbal: Yes!
249g: That'll get under some regulatory hurdles
500USD price point : Very attractive

I've been wanting one of the bigger drones 'cause they can get out farther, but this costs a quarter as much. I dunno... might be looking for MMpilots.com before long.

I'm pretty sure he meant no WiFi connection between the RC and cell phone, since it comes with OTG cable. Specs say video transmission is via enhanced WiFi, which I presume is also the radio process used for flight/camera control. No Ocusync here, so what other method would they use if not WiFi?

The dji blurb indicates cable to phone for video and "enhanced wifi" between remote and drone.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Nailed it.... Litchi support is a must.

I have an inquiry in to Litchi support about this. They've answered questions timely in the past, hoping for an answer soon. But still, I do like Pano and as others have mentioned in this thread, it doesn't seem to be available.

I watched a review and the elevation at which you fly may hamper the performance.

The MM flew fine at a reasonable elevation, but 7300 feet up on a mountain it would lose the ability to maintain position. Actually "crashed" it a couple of times.

He had a disclaimer that it could be firmware, thin air, or low battery, but a full battery gave the same results.

It's disappointing when the Spark replacement omits things we use all the time. The controller no longer has the 2 programmable buttons, the gimbal tilt control, sport mode switch and, most importantly, the pause button.

Then, even with an improved camera, we have less control of settings. I suspect the histogram is history too. I hope I'm wrong. And, only one blinking light on the rear.

The missing collision sensors look like my VW Jetta where plastic plugs fill the holes where fog lights were supposed to go.

What's all the excitement about?

Correction: I see that it apparently does have a gimbal tilt control on the remote. My apologies.

Attachments

• zzzz.jpg
    zzzz.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Honestly, I was not expecting the Mini to be so crippled.
There is no White Balance control, ISO, no Panorama, no Bracketing, No Burst, No tracking, etc.
Remains to be seen if it can be used with Litchi, etc, etc.
So I'm not interested at all.
Perhaps if hackers get to modify the firmware next year or so to unleash more capabilities but for now is Spark and P4P for me.

This truly is a huge bummer. That it is controlled by a new DJI app would mean no support for apps like Litchi or Go4 Mod 2.0 (atleast immediately). So should a current Spark user upgrade to this? No.

Reactions: daviwph
Havent used Go4 Mod 2.0 in a wile but i think theres a cinematic mode of some kind in it .Just not 100% sure.

That's right mate. I was trying to be sarcastic.
In fact I had created a thread on the same topic a couple of weeks back in this forum.

Reactions: Poletramp
I like the colors in the video clips better than the spark, and i love the longer flight time, but i have already invested US$1200 in a spark fly more red, the original dji goggles, a tablet and a tablet mount. I dont seem to see a compelling reason to scavenge the tablet, get rid of the spark, and get a MM. Those are just my thoughts.

Reactions: I B Spectre
I like the colors in the video clips better than the spark, and i love the longer flight time, but i have already invested US$1200 in a spark fly more red, the original dji goggles, a tablet and a tablet mount. I dont seem to see a compelling reason to scavenge the tablet, get rid of the spark, and get a MM. Those are just my thoughts.

Agreed, because this new mini-mav is not aimed at us. It's aimed at the new entry-level crowd (which I was). Our step up is the Mavic 2. This is a step sideways in most respects for you and me, but still wish I had the 3-axis gimbal and longer flight time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502