Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just received my controller

slothead

Join
Nov 30, 2017
The first thing I noticed was that the charging port was rectangular. I don't think I have ever seen an exactly rectangular receptacle for Micro USB connectors. I was a little curious how to insert it but just took a chance and plugged it in with the USB symbol facing up. Fortunately I guessed the correct the config, but maybe it would work either way.

I expected that the controller would have been just a little bit bigger and am pleased with the size. I also tried the fit of my iPhone 6 Plus (and it fit perfectly but the home button is covered by the gripper - that may present a problem), and the iPad mini did not fit at all (too bad)!

The teeny tiny "manual" that came with it shows a number of details (that are hardly visible) that raise questions but I expect I will answer those with the tutorial videos very soon.

Overall, so far I am pleased with the controller. The next step is linking the controller to the Spark.

I was a little curious how to insert it but just took a chance and plugged it in with the USB symbol facing up. Fortunately I guessed the correct the config, but maybe it would work either way.
The cable cannot be inserted either way. You're definitely a good guesser.

The teeny tiny "manual" that came with it shows a number of details (that are hardly visible) that raise questions but I expect I will answer those with the tutorial videos very soon.
You can download the full-size remote controller manual from the Spark downloads page.

Here's a clarification I would like:
The controller manual includes a note/caution below the linking instructions. It says:
"Apart from using the remote controller, you can control the aircraft using
virtual joysticks in the DJI GO 4 app. However, when the remote controller
is linked to the aircraft, virtual joystick control is disabled. You can enable
virtual joysticks by pressing and holding the power button of the Intelligent
Flight Battery for six seconds until hearing a double beep, which will
disconnect the remote controller and aircraft. Please refer to the Spark
User Manual for further information."

Does this mean that that when you are flying using the controller and you want to switch (real-time) to the phone-only, do you need to do the 6-sec press? Or does it mean in the broader sense that once the controller is linked to the aircraft you can't use the phone at all without doing the 6-sec press (even if the controller is not turned on for this flying session)? (And looking at the user's manual is not all that much clearer.) Is my question even clear?

Does this mean that that when you are flying using the controller and you want to switch (real-time) to the phone-only, do you need to do the 6-sec press?
It means you cannot switch between using the remote controller and a mobile device to control the Spark in the same flight. You should figure out which you'd like to do before takeoff and configure the Spark appropriately at that time.

It means you cannot switch between using the remote controller and a mobile device to control the Spark in the same flight. You should figure out which you'd like to do before takeoff and configure the Spark appropriately at that time.
That was the answer I was hoping for msinger. Thanks,

I took a sharpie and placed a black dot on the cord so I know which way it plugs in - I was tired of analyzing the port each time I wanted to plug it in.

The first thing I noticed was that the charging port was rectangular. I don't think I have ever seen an exactly rectangular receptacle for Micro USB connectors. I was a little curious how to insert it but just took a chance and plugged it in with the USB symbol facing up. Fortunately I guessed the correct the config, but maybe it would work either way.

I expected that the controller would have been just a little bit bigger and am pleased with the size. I also tried the fit of my iPhone 6 Plus (and it fit perfectly but the home button is covered by the gripper - that may present a problem), and the iPad mini did not fit at all (too bad)!

Overall, so far I am pleased with the controller. The next step is linking the controller to the Spark.
Already covered here (with photo)
The OTG port, it's not USB!

The cable cannot be inserted either way. You're definitely a good guesser.

You can download the full-size remote controller manual from the Spark downloads page.
Be careful when you print the pdf manual. My first attempt printed a miniature manual. If you want to easily read it, expand to full page when you print.

There are adapters that allow you to mount your iPad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregorioDy