Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just got a controller... OMG!

shawnski451

Join
Dec 3, 2017
Ok... im a newb to the DJI experience . Ive been flying toy grade quads for a few years now and I got a good handle on how to fly.

Now, I recently bought a Spark from Kohl's back in early December which already was $100 off and with the use of some old Kohl's gift card that I had laying around since like 2009, I ultimately got the little drone for $250.00. To me that was a sweet deal and pretty much the most I would ever want spend on a drone.

Fast forward to now... After watching video after video on YouTube, I realize how much more the "fly more combo" offered and decided to get the controller... Wow!

The controller takes the Spark to a whole new level...it makes this amazing little drone completely freaking awesome! I have been missing out big time. I can't wait to try out sport mode.

Flying with the RC is just such a better experience, and Sports Mode is a whole new level. However be cautious in Sports Mode,, buildings and trees appear from nowhere and crashes are inevitable. Enjoy,,,

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Ok... im a newb to the DJI experience . Ive been flying toy grade quads for a few years now and I got a good handle on how to fly.

Now, I recently bought a Spark from Kohl's back in early December which already was $100 off and with the use of some old Kohl's gift card that I had laying around since like 2009, I ultimately got the little drone for $250.00. To me that was a sweet deal and pretty much the most I would ever want spend on a drone.

Fast forward to now... After watching video after video on YouTube, I realize how much more the "fly more combo" offered and decided to get the controller... Wow!

The controller takes the Spark to a whole new level...it makes this amazing little drone completely freaking awesome! I have been missing out big time. I can't wait to try out sport mode.
The Spark is underestimated. This little marvel offers plenty of opportunities. Don’t really need anything more. The Pano and shallow-focus picture options are my favorites. A lot of cool stuff. I’ve had mine for about a year. Love it!

Reactions: zerocool1028

Awesome Shawn!!! Welcome aboard!!!

After trying out Sport Mode yesterday for the first time, I’m glad I got the controller. I’d hate to even think about flying that quick with just my iPhone.

Reactions: zerocool1028
Thanks for the warm welcoming. I'm looking to take full advantage to all the info and advice I can get.

I know that the Phantoms, Mavic Pros and now the Mavic Air kinda get majority of the glory... But it's awesome to see that The Spark has such a strong almost "cult" following.

7735446A-E55B-49F4-AD2D-B83579E0D6AA.jpeg D825AF30-01D5-4A53-A64B-041590FF0DE7.png Shawn Welcome,
To me what makes this lil gal special is how fast you can get it up in the air. Very little preparation. Don’t need to unfold anything. Very small signature while in flight. Invisible to onlookers. You will most likely lose it from sight occasionally..lol. Usually mistaken for a toy, which is great! The bigger drones I can totally appreciate. If I were filming professionaly. To earn a living. But for the casual flyer, who’s going to watch these videos with friends and family, don’t need much more. If it breaks or crashes, you’re out 400.00 or less. Easily replaceable. The wife won’t kill you. I was out with mine yesterday and used the photo options. Friggin awesome! The shallow and pano effects.

Hi all I’m also new here. I sold my parrot bebop 2 setup last year cause I was disgusted with the new too restrictive Canadian Drone laws that came out. Decided this weekend pass to get back into drones and ordered a dji spark which will be here this week. Having a 2nd battery arrive today before the drone comes and I will also be picking up the controller for it Wednesday morning. I’ve done alot of research on the spark and the few problems it can have (battery falling off in mid flight) but I must say I’m impressed for what I’ve cone across so far. I’m def picking up the portable recharging station also. Cheers

Weicome Steve! So glad you decided to get back into flying. Don’t let anyone rob you from being free in a democratic society. In most cases using plain common sense wins out.
In regards to the battery coming off in mid flight, I have never had that problem myself. I truly believe it was some anxious pilot wanting to get airborne fast who didn’t properly snap the battery into place. It happened to me one time when giving the battery a safety check, by giving a good tug to make sure it was secure. It’s habit now, after snapping it on, to tug on it. But its never come off in flight. Happy flying.
Cheers

Weicome Steve! So glad you decided to get back into flying. Don’t let anyone rob you from being free in a democratic society. In most cases using plain common sense wins out.
In regards to the battery coming off in mid flight, I have never had that problem myself. I truly believe it was some anxious pilot wanting to get airborne fast who didn’t properly snap the battery into place. It happened to me one time when giving the battery a safety check, by giving a good tug to make sure it was secure. It’s habit now, after snapping it on, to tug on it. But its never come off in flight. Happy flying.
Cheers

Thanks For the Warm Welcome Manny Cheers

I also am a newbie. I got this for Christmas and use it mostly for work. I am a developer and have found this very useful to document progress on the projects. I have learned a few lessons so far, mostly with hard knocks. Surely to learn many more. This is a great little drone. I have a nephew that uses the Spark for photos and video in his professional photography business and produces some very impressive projects. I am impressed with the comments in this post as there are no negative comments or foul language.
Photograph the world and share!DJI_0004.JPG

Manny, thanks for the warm welcome as well. Everyone seems very cool here... Definitely awesome.

Can some please explain or clearify the controller and the OTG cable thing???

Manny, thanks for the warm welcome as well. Everyone seems very cool here... Definitely awesome.

Can some please explain or clearify the controller and the OTG cable thing???
I’d like also some info on the otg cable. I’m not sure if my strings are right as when I use it I still have to connect to my controller via WiFi and it drains my iPhone battery just the same. I’ve gotta be doing something wrong.

I too bought my Spark from Kohl's too with the 100 dollars Kohl's Cash back. I went out and bought the remote right away. It is a night and day difference.

I also am a newbie. I got this for Christmas and use it mostly for work. I am a developer and have found this very useful to document progress on the projects. I have learned a few lessons so far, mostly with hard knocks. Surely to learn many more. This is a great little drone. I have a nephew that uses the Spark for photos and video in his professional photography business and produces some very impressive projects. I am impressed with the comments in this post as there are no negative comments or foul language.
Photograph the world and share!View attachment 3533
If using your drone for work, someday you may want to upgrade to a unit which can do a pre-programmed flight. That way your photos or video will be from the exact same spots each time. I use Litchi with my Mavic and the super smooth videos it makes are fantastic. You could even edit a video of a project where as the drone goes through the flight, the work advances. It would be a challenge to edit but the end result would be great. Even if you don't upgrade I agree that the Spark is a gem and I'm happy to have both available.

After trying out Sport Mode yesterday for the first time, I’m glad I got the controller. I’d hate to even think about flying that quick with just my iPhone.
I grew up building rc cars and monster trucks so the sticks made me feel way more confident and precise flying my spark around.

After watching video after video on YouTube, I ... decided to get the controller... Wow! The controller takes the Spark to a whole new level...it makes this amazing little drone completely freaking awesome! I have been missing out big time. I can't wait to try out sport mode.

Unlike you, I'm a total newbie. Never flown a drone or even a remote-controlled airplane before. I didn't plan to use the drone a lot and wanted to keep costs down, so I bought the Spark without the controller (~$360 from Amazon, I think). Quickly realized I needed a second battery. And after tentatively taking my first "steps" up into the air using my iPhone to control the Spark, and like you, after watching lots of videos, I finally realized that the iPhone's flat screen is just not a very good way to control the thing. I felt I needed to keep looking at my hands on the iPhone to make sure I was touching the right things and not (say) accidentally tapping on the RTH button or something. So I ordered the controller. And I second your response: Wow!! It really is a different experience.

I've already been wrong in my predictions a couple of time but I truly don't think I'm ever going to want to use sport mode, unless I find a really big open space out in west Texas. What I mainly want to do with the drone is go UP and take photos. But even for that simple task, the controller makes flying much, much easier.

My advice to people who haven't purchased already would be the advice that I was given and ignored: buy the fly-more combo.

Will

Reactions: shawnski451

I know what you mean. I had never flown anything until I bought the Spark Fly More. Honestly, there's NO WAY I could or would fly without the RC. What precision, what feel, what performance.

Very small signature while in flight. Invisible to onlookers. You will most likely lose it from sight occasionally..Usually mistaken for a toy, which is great!

My thoughts exactly. I don't like to attract attention, which is why even after only a month I still fly in the early morning or after dusk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar