Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is there any way to improve battery life or range?

18650 battery is a 3.7 V. You need 3 pcs pack. That would be 11.1V nominal (12.6 when the battery are full like a original Spark) and 3000mAh. And too big weight.
I'm sure there's a way to boost the voltage up to 11.1 with a circuit board. I don't know how to do it but I'm sure there's a way.

I'm sure there's a way to boost the voltage up to 11.1 with a circuit board. I don't know how to do it but I'm sure there's a way.
No, there is not! Even if one could, it would severely reduce the mAh of the battery. You can REDUCE the 3.7v output with circuitry (as in the Lithium AA cells currently on the market).

These are what you are looking at
- increased flight time
- components does not wear out due to heavier load from extra batteries
- No sluggish movement due to additional weight.

Solution: wrap bottom and sides with air packets filled with helium. Reduced weight means increased flight time. Load on motors not increased. Lighter weight also means more nimble manoeuvre.

I saw the four metal contacts on the bottom of the spark battery and I was thinking that you could take two of those tube battery packs and put them on either side of the drone. Wire them up to the contacts somehow and have it charge mid flight. Also I would like to improve the range but there's too many cheap antennas online. Do you guys know of anything that actually works well and is reliable? It would be cool to slap a huge antenna on top of my truck and have a massive range but I doubt that's possible. Let me know if there's anything else I could do to improve my Spark thanks.
The Spark battery is a smart battery and communicates with the Spark regarding voltage and fly time. Someone could possibly able to rig where it can draw additional power from an external battery source. A lithium CR123 rechargeable would be an option as it's lighter than a 18650. But then again it might fry the Sparks innards if not done properly.

The Spark battery is a smart battery and communicates with the Spark regarding voltage and fly time. Someone could possibly able to rig where it can draw additional power from an external battery source. A lithium CR123 rechargeable would be an option as it's lighter than a 18650. But then again it might fry the Sparks innards if not done properly.
Would you know how to do it?

sparkhead; forget your $600 Spark for any of your desires. There are quite a few drones that can easily accomplish what you are seeking. The bad news is they will cost you $3K to $15K!

sparkhead; forget your $600 Spark for any of your desires. There are quite a few drones that can easily accomplish what you are seeking. The bad news is they will cost you $3K to $15K!
What's easier, wiring up a $6 battery or paying for a $3k drone? There is someone out there that knows how to do it I'm just trying to find them.

I'm not trying to be a smart *ss, but it is not possible to improve flight duration of the Spark. It's power system is already optimized for it's size and weight. DJI could possibly market a different battery with a slightly higher mAh capacity which would then yield a somewhat longer flight time. There are different lithium battery chemistry's in use these days (nano technology for example, which they might be using already). There are no markings on the Spark batteries to indicate the "grade" of the battery.
I have been using LiPo and LiFe batteries of many different sizes and capacities in electric powered model RC aircraft for over 10 years and can tell you that there are limitations as to what they can and cannot do within a given size and weight parameters.

To answer your question, actually it would be EASIER to purchase a $3K+ drone than "rig up" 3 additional cells to the Spark. The difficulty (for me), would be to allot $3K or more to the upgrade!

What's easier, wiring up a $6 battery or paying for a $3k drone? There is someone out there that knows how to do it I'm just trying to find them.
Well I'm that kind of person that could do it. You guys must remember the voltage of each cell shows its over 3 volt, the cells in the smart battery is up to 4 volts. If you check in the dji go4 app. A cr123 @ 3 volt won't do it, the voltage will be too low to even charge the smart battery. I've got an idea though that I'd like to try but don't have a spare busted spark battery. My plan is to use cell phone batteries of at least 3.7v each. I've got allot laying around here at home in different sizes, but I've got 2 specific cells here each 1 has more mah than a single cell in the smart battery and they small enough to fit inside The casing of the smart battery pack. The standard battery is currently rated at 3.8v @ 493.33 each cell, which add up to 1480mah @ 11.4v. The cell phone batteries I've got here are 3.7v @ 900mah each add them up and you get 2700mah at 11.1v and it'll all fit in the smart battery casing. One problem is I don't have a spare smart battery to do this, maybe if there's someone that has a busted battery could try this? Another thing cell phone batteries has is own charging circuit. That may be removed to make it a little shorter, the smart battery also has its own charging circuit.

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L01 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Reactions: Row-Bot
No, there is not! Even if one could, it would severely reduce the mAh of the battery. You can REDUCE the 3.7v output with circuitry (as in the Lithium AA cells currently on the market).
Actually you can with a simple device called a Pololu. But you are correct, it's not able to increase the mah and in fact you'd lose about 15-20%

Yes, I believe they are used in some MOD's that power E-cigarette vaporizers to raise the voltage a bit.

Well I'm that kind of person that could do it. You guys must remember the voltage of each cell shows its over 3 volt, the cells in the smart battery is up to 4 volts. If you check in the dji go4 app. A cr123 @ 3 volt won't do it, the voltage will be too low to even charge the smart battery. I've got an idea though that I'd like to try but don't have a spare busted spark battery. My plan is to use cell phone batteries of at least 3.7v each. I've got allot laying around here at home in different sizes, but I've got 2 specific cells here each 1 has more mah than a single cell in the smart battery and they small enough to fit inside The casing of the smart battery pack. The standard battery is currently rated at 3.8v @ 493.33 each cell, which add up to 1480mah @ 11.4v. The cell phone batteries I've got here are 3.7v @ 900mah each add them up and you get 2700mah at 11.1v and it'll all fit in the smart battery casing. One problem is I don't have a spare smart battery to do this, maybe if there's someone that has a busted battery could try this? Another thing cell phone batteries has is own charging circuit. That may be removed to make it a little shorter, the smart battery also has its own charging circuit.

I think you are mixing up series and parallel configurations you get your 11.1vdc @ 900mah or 3.7vdc @ 2700mah only one or the other depending on how you configure your wiring.

Well I'm that kind of person that could do it The standard battery is currently rated at 3.8v @ 493.33 each cell, which add up to 1480mah @ 11.4v. The cell phone batteries I've got here are 3.7v @ 900mah each add them up and you get 2700mah at 11.1v
There is a major error in your understanding of what occurs when you combine battery cells in a series!.....When connecting your cells in Series you are increasing the voltage while maintaining the same capacity rating (amp hours). ....three 3.7v LiOn 1480 mAh cells in series = one battery pack producing 11.1v with 1480 mAh capacity!

There is a major error in your understanding of what occurs when you combine battery cells in a series!.....When connecting your cells in Series you are increasing the voltage while maintaining the same capacity rating (amp hours). ....three 3.7v LiOn 1480 mAh cells in series = one battery pack producing 11.1v with 1480 mAh capacity!
Yes you absolutely correct, thanks for reminding mr. My mistake is, I didn't take that into account. In that case I got 3 sony li-po batteries here thats 2900mah each but that's a just little too wide for the spark battery case

If you find a busted battery and you're actually able to do this, make a tutorial on YouTube. As soon as you do that then people will be able to copy it and then other people who also know what they're doing can improve on it and make it better.

Reactions: Faithley

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewDatcu